Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods MODEL A GUY'S - A GAS TANK QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 13, 2021.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

My coupe tank..... the previous owner had it installed. I don't like the filler location, awkward to fill and I'm getting a little gas smell that I know the wife won't like but good capacity.
    I built a custom conforming tank for my Tudor that with some wood and padding was going to act as a back for the rear seat (don't tell the rear passenger). It held about 19 gallons and I had an old Ford filler cap on the rear quarter panel. I liked that one.
    IMG_3182.JPG

2. Jim's Model A has a tanks gas tank in his car. HRP

[​IMG]

-Brent-, Dave Mc, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  3. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, lots of choices shown already. I used a 16 gallon ‘ 169F52A6-CBAD-4ED5-A63F-D2F3BFF6AFE9.jpeg 32 tank with a kit from Dagel.

John

4. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I like the box.

5. jaracer

jaracer

I made a tank and I installed it just ahead of the lower trunk panel. I have also made a rolled pan covers the bottom of the tank so you can't see it from the rear. IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1460.JPG

6. Very nice work. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  7. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

I'd like to see a side-shot of that. Seems to hang out the back a fair way.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  8. [​IMG]

3W JOHN and Primered Forever like this.
  9. This full fendered sedan is also using the 32 tank. HRP

[​IMG]

3W JOHN, Dean Lowe and Dave Mc like this.
  10. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Looks like it’s under the body about as far as mine is. Fenders just makes it look different.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I built a 29 RPU IN 1960. I wanted to put a tank ahead of the rear axle and above the drive shaft. We didn't build our cars super-low in those days and I got a DeSoto 1940s tank from a junkyard. It fit between the rails. I closed the original filler and put one in the floor of the bed. The cap was just below the oak floor level. I have no idea what the volume was. That wasn't important in those days. Tank was still in use when I sold the car 28 years later.

12. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 31, tank by tanks, in the trunk . Had the original one over the cowl leak on my flip flops ! 0EED2778-852D-4569-97DB-368A144326F7.jpeg

-Brent-, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. My brother-in-law's RPU has a leaky gas than, the truck is original and I installed a Speedway motors fuel tank in the bed. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3W JOHN and Dean Lowe like this.
  14. Another Hambers sedan with a deuce tank. HRP

[​IMG]

15. And another one,HRP

[​IMG]

Primered Forever and 3W JOHN like this.
  16. X-cpe

X-cpe

No pictures, it's in the attic waiting re-installation. I'm using a Triumph Spitfire tank and flip top filler. Fits nicely behind the seat and the price was right. Supposed to be 12 gallons but I think that may be stretching it a bit

17. If you are using fenders on your Model A, Tanks offers saddle fuel tanks that mounts behind the splash aprons on 28/29 and 30/31. HRP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3W JOHN likes this.
  18. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I’ve built a couple using saddle tanks. They work fine. just a pain in the ass to fill up. You have to turn the car around at the pump to fill both tanks and you have to fill slowly or it runs out on your apron and running board!

verde742, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. It's been years since I last owned a Model A but I still like them, who knows there might be another one in my future. HRP

20. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I love Model A’s!

21. My problem is I love them all, My first car was a Deuce, then later on I started building Model A's then 40 Ford's and for the past 30 plus years back to Deuces, but I still have a soft spot for the model A's. HRP

3W JOHN, Blues4U and Primered Forever like this.
  22. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I love them all too. Model A’s have been and still are more affordable. I like sedans. Would like to have a 32-34 Tudor someday.

23. Yes sir, my 32 sedan is the car that is here to stay when all others are gone, the 28/29 sedan would be my preference if I were to build one, your car would be the look I would want. HRP

24. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Thanks Danny. I was a little reluctant in the beginning leaving the old paint like it was found but this car gets more attention than others that I have done. No upkeep other than when the bugs get too thick on the windshield you have to scrape them off!

25. That's the same way I feel about my old beater, the car was last painted in 1962 and the fenders were beat back into shape in then 80's and they received a coat of primer, I like it that way. HRP

26. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Me too! Just have fun with them!

27. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I've been a T guy most of my life but I sure am enjoying my new A Model.

[​IMG]

Packrat, jim snow, Joe Blow and 3 others like this.
  28. Blake 27

Blake 27

My brothers 30 Roadster "STREET A" built in 1980. Tom's_A_details_(14).jpg Model A and Angela at tree 002-2.jpg

29. Beautiful chassis and car. HRP