Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

I’m asking specific questions relevant to any nitro racer, just wondering where he is now- especially trying to run a real nitro combination with a torque converter- which has been proven extraordinarily tough.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Done a little big volume, big load nitro racing as a young optimist myself. Making an S at the pull of the mag switch.
    IMG_6254.JPG

3. I think if you went back and read the whole thread all of your questions would likely be answered, Brian had it well documented. Plus it’s a fun read!

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

If it were me instead of Brian being asked all these highly technical questions on things I had worked at for years also and spent considerable cash, to learn for myself, I personally would have drawn the line on free, openly published info just about the time you started asking for pump and jet sizes.
    But I did come up in a different time, back when you paid for a guru to set up your engine tune amd still didn't know much about what was done, just that it ran fast like he had set it up!

5. Converter technology has come a long way in the last few years. If a guy thinks he can spend a grand on a converter and run nitro he is crazy. It takes about 6 large to get rolling. A converter capable of handling this kind of power is large in diameter and thickness. Alot of times they only fit in a clutch can style bell housing. Alcohol funny cars are using them. They run alot more rpm at the hit so they run a different stator angle. My nitro car leaves from a idle. The torque from the nitro makes a high rpm leave unnecessary. Neal chance now offers a unit specifically designed for nitro.
    As far as my tune up goes unless you have my pump; barrel valve and bypass valves on your engine the combination won't work. The combo cant be reveled sorry.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  6. Making a s out of a rod at the hit clearly shows it went lean. It detonated big time. Or the mag was set with too much lead. I wouldn't be surprised if it knocked the blower off.
    The pipes tell the tale. If at idle they look dry inside its lean. If raw fuel is flying out its too rich. If the pipes look wet except the last few inches with no fuel flying out your good to go. We run a high low set up. The second set of port nozzles come on at the hit. This provides a clean idle and more fuel at the hit.

7. impala4speed

impala4speed

Very interesting stuff Brian. I wouldn't be giving away hard-earned secrets either.

Stogy, olscrounger, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  8. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Uhm, no- this happens in a modern A Fueler when the crew doesn’t get all of the nitro out of each cylinder after warm up. Hydrauliced under the tunnel the instant I pulled the mag switch to fire. Shot a piece of rod through the block, diaper, and skipped past a crew man’s foot! Made this S out of another rod (Brooks).

48 Gallon Settles Pump, Huge Compression- this was during the 100% days.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Those things can and do happen when the engine isn't cleared.

10. This while not hot rod related is too good to not share. My daughter Keri is now a doctor. 20210515_142537.jpg

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Very cool Brian!

Stogy, Gammz, dirty old man and 2 others like this.
  12. impala4speed

impala4speed

Congratulations to her and to you Brian.

13. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Congratulations to you and your daughter. How could that happen? Just “yesterday” I remember your son and daughter
    were knee high to a drag slick.

Stogy, loudbang, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  14. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

That's awesome, congrats Brian.

Stogy, loudbang, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  15. Way to go kid. I am sure all are very, very proud. Thanks for sharing that Brian. :):):):)

16. oldsroller

oldsroller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from PA

Congratulations to her!

Stogy, loudbang, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  17. I agree, so @RacerX does this mean she’s in charge of putting you back together if you fall apart?

Woogeroo, Stogy, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  18. ironrodder

ironrodder

Congratulations to your daughter and your family. I know that didn't come easy

19. She keeps a close eye on me.

20. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Wow you should be very proud!!!

dirty old man, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It appears that she takes after her Dad! I'm sure you are very proud of her!

22. loudbang

loudbang

Good work on a good (smart) daughter. Congrats to you both.

TFoch, Stogy, dirty old man and 2 others like this.
  23. We now have a third generation health care worker. My mother was a nurse. She graduated from the the Mayo Clinics program. She was hired by Mayo. Her position will be the director of the coronary artery disease clinic. She came to work with me for a bring your daughter to work day. It inspired her to pursue a health care career. She started at the bottom as a cna then rn now dnp. She is at the top. Nothing makes a parent feel good like seeing their kids set a goal and reach it.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  24. 20210522_164111.jpg 20210522_164111.jpg I took the car down to Brookline Arkansas for a dyno session. Why there? Because John Williams lives there. He was the Fast EFI tech guy for Comp Cams. His years of experience make the difference. He is also a fellow Drag Week competitor. The session started with multiple logs running the car easy up and down to three grand. The car was shut off and changes were made. The same thing was repeated up to six grand. When that was all done a few hours later a few full pulls took place. Out of a huge concern for safety the pulls were done in second gear. Running a car strapped down to 200 is not wise.
    This was done on 87 octane gas. The rpm was limited to 7500. The muffled street zoomies were on. The blower over drive was 9 over making 11 lbs of boost. On the track I run 25 over. So this was a real mild tune up for the street.
    I could have made alot more power with more rpm. Look at the print out. Or I could have put in race gas but that would have defeated the purpose. Doing the test in second gear lowers the hp by 200-250. So the car made about 975 at the rear tires. The cam in a nitro car is bad for making hp on gas because there is no cylinder pressure. The exhaust valve opens too soon. The centerline is also way off for a gas engine. The owner of the shop Steve Morgan also helped out. He has gained alot of knowledge running Street Scene Performance.
    Because I was so close to Kennet Missouri I had to meet up with my buddy Chuck Jolliff for some great barbeque at Big Ed's. Chucky was George Ray's starter for decades. It was all time and money well spent. When I got it home I took it to the local cruise in. Sporting my new street performance t shirt I made the drive. It runs soo much better now. Next up the summit midwest drags starting June first. There is a live feed. Several hamb drivers will be racing. Cheer us on. 20210521_112623.jpg 20210521_114410.jpg 20210521_170803.jpg 20210521_170811.jpg 20210522_173817.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  25. Stogy and loudbang like this.
  26. AmishMike

AmishMike

Understand mild street tune etc. but why the dip between 5500 5750. Can not flatten line there? Find that kind of an odd dip

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

Geez, near a 1000 RWHP on a mild street tune. Amazing, scary, but amazing.

28. I asked about that to. I think they said that's from me lifting the throttle a little. They can see the throttle position on the recorded log.
    I went to Arkansas because that's were the tuner lives. There are dyno shops all over. I have rwo within 30 minutes of me. It's not the dyno that's important it's the skill of the tuner that makes the difference. My guy is one of the best in the country. The other issue is tuners generally specialize in one or two systems. There are several out there. Mega squirt; fast; holley; big stuff etc. You have to find a qualified guy that won't blow your engine up. This is not a car to let a guy experiment on. I wanted the best and invested the time and effort to get it. That's just how I am.

29. I experimented running with the trunk lid open when I drove the car to the hamb drags a few years ago. It was a true 101 degree day with high humidity. The trunk lid was so hot you couldn't touch it. I figured heat had to be getting trapped. The car was running hot so I put a towel under the trunk lid to allow more hot air to escape. The lid had a bungee cord over the handle to hold the towel in place. The make shift mcgiver idea never left me. Today I made up something I think will work on hot days. The arms drop down to the rear when the lid is closed. Quick pins will make it easy to connect and disconnect at the trunk lid. I won't need tools. I will try this out again during the summit midwest drag and drive event June first. 20210523_185136.jpg 20210523_185050.jpg 20210523_185042.jpg

30. I took the car for a test drive to check out how I have the trailer loaded. I also wanted to test out the open trunk idea again. The load is dalanced good. The temp never went over 160 degrees. I needed a destination so I drove into town to my friend Howard Kayes shop. I have a flip up table on the side of the trailer that needed some additional support. Who better to weld it than Howard. He worked at R +B Chassis for several years. He welded chassis for some of the most famous dragster and funny cars in racing history. 20210529_091122.jpg