Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 4 3/8 Diameter Gauges for a '39 Ford DeLuxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by barebones32, May 12, 2021.

1. barebones32

barebones32

What are folks doing for gauges to replace the stock gauges in a '39 Ford dash with 4 3/8 diameter holes?

2. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I would like to know as well.

3. Weld 'em up and holesaw to size you wish.

TagMan likes this.
  4. woodscaper

woodscaper

5. Tomastudor

Tomastudor

My Stewart Warner 3 in 1 gauges are for 4 3/8" holes. Part no 82258.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the New Vintage gauges. I really like em, the fonts, the look, curved glass, made in Ferndale, MI. They're in my 39 dash.
    [​IMG]

Ok, 2 things here. 1st there's an indexing notch in the side of the housing. I filed it off vs tring to cut a receiving notch for it in my dash. 2nd, and it's not a hateful deal but I'm my own worst enemy, once in the dash panel the gauge bezels are straight or flat. Once in and snugged up you can see a light white edge top and bottom because the 39 dash has a very slight curve. I fixed that by giving the housing a light scuff and coloring it in with permanent black marker. Now it effectively disappears and all you see is chrome. I really like em and conceded to the digital odometer. They also come complete with the senders and harness plugs as well as detailed instructions. You will have to get a trans speedo adapter to run the electronic speedometer. Was also very easy and any 3 wire will do. Reach out if you want more info, good stuff, and no I don't work there...;)

ol'skool likes this.
  7. barebones32

barebones32

Thanks! I saw these online and they look pretty good to me.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 1951/52 Ford truck ?

barebones32 likes this.
  9. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Does your temp gage work? I put a NV gage in my 41, and it looks OK.
    Problem is the elec sender is so short I'm not sure it even gets wet.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know yet, but I'm sure it'll read coolant in the flathead. You can check your gauge with a gentle conservative warm up using a lighter. That might tell you if it's a flow or sender issue. Or you could hit it with an ohm meter cold then again warmed up. If you get a proper change it's the gauge, if you get nothing it's obviously the sender, which should see a rise in temp even if it's not in the water as it would pick up heat anyways.