Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Ford Tudor FH v8. Dual Ex questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ed Kasperek, May 14, 2021.

1. I will be starting to look for parts to put dual exhaust on my 40 Tudor

Wondering what the best course to take from those of you who have already been down this road?

Tks for your suggestions

2. 1pickup

1pickup

My '39 Tudor used to have the stock manifolds & front pipes. Except the crossover was capped off to make duals. Thrush steel packs & out in front of the wheels. Sounded EXCELLENT. Now, it has Speedway's cheap headers. Took it to an exhaust shop & had pipes run out the back - no mufflers. Still sounds great.

3. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I used all Red's parts to do my '40 Tudor exhaust. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Reds' headers are the best bet if you're keeping your stock steering box. Some headers interfere with other parts and require some modification. The Speedway tubular headers are very similar to the Reds' headers and inexpensive. You can also use the stock manifolds with modification of the right side exhaust pipe.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Will the Speedway header fit around my stock steering box?
    Are the Speedway version of equal quality to Reds?

Tks Gents

6. 1pickup

1pickup

I can't compare Speedway vs Red's, 'cause I haven't seen the Red's. The Speedway headers don't have a flange at the back either. So, you can add one (like I should have), or just clamp the exhaust pipe to it (like I did). The only thing I can tell you about clearance, is I'm running a Vega box and the Speedway headers are tight. If you put a dimple in one spot on them, they will fit better. Not sure about stock steering box clearance, but I'm sure somebody on here can.

7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I don't have a 40 but I've used Red's headers on several cars and been pleased with the quality and fit. I made a flange on my headers by tracing the exhaust gasket and cut 4 flanges so I could bolt the exhaust to the header on my V8 A and used a stock exhaust gasket. Nice to be able to drop the exhaust without needing to cut anything. 20141028_161559.jpg