Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Father Son Build: 1950 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mlagusis, Jul 23, 2020.

1. mlagusis

mlagusis

Also picked up these dropped uprights from a fellow Hamber. They appear to be 2" drop. We will get new Moog springs and cut a coil and see where that puts us.

IMG_2696.JPEG

2. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Birthday Eli! Looks like you had a good one. Oh, and nice work on the car! Go man, go!

[​IMG]

3. loudbang

loudbang

Good to see Eli helping out on this build. :)

Thor1 likes this.
  4. Just now seeing this thread for the first time, Matt. Super cool to get to build a car with your son, these will be great memories....and great skills he's learning, even if he doesn't become a life long car guy....although it's hard to see how he can't be. :)

I know I'm late to the party, but back when I had my Fleetline, I hadn't gotten around to dropping the rear end, but here's how it sat with 2 inch dropped uprights and a coil (maybe 2?...it was a little too much what ever it was. LOL) cut from the springs....just for reference for you.

Lil Joe Cruise.jpg

5. mlagusis

mlagusis

Eli is really enjoying our time working out there. He truly is building this car with his own hands. I am hoping this will motivate him to take car of it.

Matt

6. Thanks for the updates Matt! Looks like you and Eli are making good progress.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  7. mlagusis

mlagusis

I am grateful for the time we spend in the garage working. It has strengthened our relationship so far. He is having fun and I never have to fight him to get out there. We both look forward to Monday night.

Thanks for the info on your fleetline suspension. Nice car! I like the wheel/tire combo. I will show this to Eli and see what he thinks.

Matt

8. mlagusis

mlagusis

Yes sir. We are making steady progress. I will try to stay on top of loading updates each week. Also, Eli joined the HAMB. We will get his intro post and he can start commenting on here as well.

Matt

9. topher5150

topher5150

Do you need a lot of that rust stuff to do the car like you did?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If the rear end doesn't sit as low as you like you can adjust it a little by removing a couple leafs from the pack.
    Car is looking great, and love the project with your son!

11. mlagusis

mlagusis

We bought a gallon to use for the bottom of the car, inside floor, the bottom of the roof, inside of the doors and quarters. We are using Rustoleum to coat over it. We have maybe used 1/2 a gallon so far. It seems to work pretty good. I really wanted to pull the body from the frame but we don't have a lot of space so we are doing the next bext option. Ultimately, everything will have a good coat of paint so this car will hold up as long as possible.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  12. mlagusis

mlagusis

Thanks! We bought new springs from Posie's. I thought they said the springs will lower the car 2" and the car will settle down a bit over time. I think I am going to buy a used set of tires from a local wrecking yard and have them put on for rollers that match the size we are going to use and see how it sits then.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  13. Making great progress, and having some irreplaceable father and son time.

14. Misbehaven

Misbehaven

Nice job!!

I JB weld almost everything the rest I use bubble gum.
    Life is to short to do it right the first time

chryslerfan55 and mlagusis like this.
  15. mlagusis

mlagusis

Made a little progress this week. Got the trans crossmember out and have the suspension and crossmember out. We are going to weld in the patch panels on the floor next, then finish painting the bottom side of the car. After that we will move onto rebuilding the front suspension.

We plan to use the 2" dropped uprights we picked up from a fellow hamber and new Moog coils with a coil cut.
    IMG_2768.JPEG IMG_2769.JPEG

16. mlagusis

mlagusis

Also picked up a set of five 54 Olds hubacps from a fellow hamber. I am hoping we can get some extra garage time this weekend...we will see.

IMG_2767.JPEG

brEad, Paul B, slim38 and 5 others like this.
  17. atomickustom

atomickustom

Your rear seems high. Are the rear shackles flipped the wrong way? They should hang, facing toward the frame. If they are facing the floor you need to flip them: jack up the rear if the car and use a big screwdriver or other tool to pry them past the halfway point. They will pop into the correct position, then lower the jack. (I made this mistake when I put new "lowering" springs on the back of my car and it sat a couple inches higher!)

Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  18. mlagusis

mlagusis

Thanks for pointing that out. The shackles are pointing downward. I will mess with it this weekend. Glad to learn this as I was a bit disappointed how high it sits with the new springs and 2" blocks.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  19. mlagusis

mlagusis

No big progress, but we are still working steady each week. We got more of the bottom side of the car primered. We will paint this section next, then move onto rebuilding the front suspension.

IMG_2861.jpeg

Picked up some valve covers too.
    IMG_2814.JPEG

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    brEad, anthony myrick, drdave and 8 others like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Go man go!

mlagusis and loudbang like this.
  21. Got my first car and electric guitar when I was thirteen. Still have both and use them regularly. I'm 43 now.

drdave and loudbang like this.
  22. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Nice! Just found this thread. Awesome father son project and can't wait till me and my son start on one for him. Following.

drdave, mlagusis and loudbang like this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

IF you want this thread to stay open don't mention that front suspension and or engine/trans and don't post photos of them. The mods are killer on modern stuff and will delete this thread. :(

mlagusis, Roothawg and Thor1 like this.
  24. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Love those Fleetlines, looks like yall are having a good time building it too ! Just a heads up on those Posies springs, they actually raised my 52 a bit over the stock worn out springs..I was bummed too. Also Loudbang is right, these days they'll shoot down a thread real quick. I'd hate to see it deletes over an engine pic. Thanks for sharing yalls build w us here.

25. mlagusis

mlagusis

That's cool. I wish I still had my first guitar and first old car.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Lookin good Matt and Eli!

mlagusis, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  27. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Nice project, guys!

I dragged home a bare shell of a 65 El Camino for my oldest when he was 13. We got it running and driving before his 16th birthday, then he started racing it (legally, at the dragstrip) and all the details went out the window. He's 22 now and still has it. but it's pretty rough because he never did anything with the body or interior.

I like the way you guys are taking the time to clean and paint everything. He'll have a nice car for it in the end.

Devin

loudbang likes this.
  28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I deleted the off topic Jag IFS content, Late model Ifs swaps are off topic

29. mlagusis

mlagusis

We are back on the car as of a few weeks ago.

Sorted out some off topic front suspension work. Now we are in the middle of the front floor patch panels. Once side is welded in, need to weld the other then grind and paint...etc. We are going to put all new body bolts and rubber pads before we get too far. Not pulling the body totally off, just raising it up, setting it on 4x4 wood blocks which will give us space to clean up and get paint to the areas we were unable to reach so far. Again, we are not building a show car, but want to make sure everything has a good layer of paint.

Then we will be back on the front suspension, steering and motor/trans set up.

IMG_4547.JPEG IMG_4546.JPEG IMG_4497.JPEG IMG_4496.JPEG

Attached Files:

brEad, drdave, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  30. mlagusis

mlagusis

Back at it on Eli's car. We got the front end back together and have the car on all four wheels. Finished up on the rust repair of the floor. A little more paint and stuff on the bottom of the car.

We are not pulling the body off the car, but will lift it up and place 4x4 blocks between the body and frame so we can replace all the body mount bolts and rubber pads. Plus, this will allow us to get more areas coated with a solid layer of paint on the top of frame and other areas where we can't reach.

After that, we are dropping the SBC/Auto trans in which should be pretty fast. We bought the Walton Fab motor and trans mount kit which will be fast. Also ordered their power boaster/pedal kit too.

IMG_5246.JPEG IMG_5248.JPEG