Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spin Tech mufflers anyone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike VV, May 13, 2021.

1. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Curious if anyone has, or is running Spin Tech mufflers.
    Mostly wondering about any power loss when changing from, or to the Spin Tech muffler.
    Sound is secondary, as long as they don't sound like Flowmaster mufflers.

The Studebaker (all from 53 to 65) frame is very short, height wise, and Spin Tech has a nice thin muffler that will not hang below the frame rail.

Mike

2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Here's a 454 Chevelle with Spin Tech mufflers

3. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Yes, very familiar. They will not cost much power but are relatively loud; on the same level as flowmaster's sound levels.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Somewhat off topic, but that video shows why turn downs are bad. Talk about kicking up dust.

Tman likes this.
  6. earlymopar

earlymopar

That's pretty amazing if I heard the video correctly, 3" diameter exhaust and, I saw no cross-over pipes but with down turns before the rear axle. How is the resonance inside the car?

7. partssaloon

partssaloon

I have had them on my 48 (351W) for 8 years now. He made them to the size of my frame space. Nice sound, no resonance.
    Pair of Spinteks.JPG

8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I won a pair of Spinteck muffler at an event. I put them behind a 460, then took them off and sold them. They were too loud at mid throttle with a nasty drone, then at high throttle they sounded like compressed air pouring out of a hose, and they were very restrictive with a noticeable power drop.

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Interesting. This is one of their claims, IS power..! But this is why I asked.
    And no one (Hemi Joel) has an "H" or "X" in their systems to smooth the power pulses, AND quiet the sound somewhat..! Seems only half complete.

The Chevelle (top) with large diameter exhaust and almost nothing for mufflers. Not really very realistic, but thanks.

Thanks VOETOM.

Thanks all.

Mike

10. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

The ones we tested also had more hissing than I would have enjoyed for any length of time plus they, being small case, did sort of resonate.

11. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Another question...
    For those that "apparently" lost power... Did you do any retuning after the muffler swap ? A freer flowing or a more plugged system WILL benefit from some fuel system retuning from its previous state.

Just like adding a set of headers on a engine with cast iron manifolds, if you didn't do any retuning of the fuel system, and even possibly the ignition timing, your swap was pretty much, or mostly useless.
    Been fact since the 1940's.

VOETOM - Hissing..?

Mike

12. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Yes, the air sort of whistles out of them; it is hard to describe but it may be all the perforations in the round spiral sections.

13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I suppose different sizes sounds different. Mine were 2-1/2". I had the on a tow rig, so they were under heavy load a lot.

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

HOW SPINTECH ENTROPY MUFFLERS WORK

patented technology is based on the second law of thermodynamics or entropy. The entropy of a system relates to the organization of the system. Sound energy actually represents a form of organized energy in the sense that the molecules of air or gas vibrate together in a unified way. (On a microscopic level these gas molecules bounce off one another like billiard balls). Heat energy is also the vibration of molecules. Heat and sound energy are very much the same except for their organization, or entropy. Heat is a completely randomized molecular vibration, while a sound wave is an organized wave front of vibration.

Flow routing is based on advanced fluid mechanics technology. Vortexes are sustained inside of the muffler's spin sound traps. Vent holes are placed in an area where the case wall and the sound trap form a Venturi effect. As gas flows through the vent holes, the reduced pressure extracts gas out of the trap. Incoming exhaust from the main exhaust flow stream refills the trap and maintains the vortex motion that promotes the conversion of sound to heat. Think of it as a Saturn Rocket Inside Your Exhaust System.

https://spintechmufflers.com/about-spintech/

Ah, that explains it. o_O

Fabulous50's and Blues4U like this.
  15. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Hmm..
    VOETOM - Next question, just how annoying is this whistle ? Is it a constant thing, only under power, under cruise (steady state) rpm, under off throttle..?
    I don't mind swapping things around, trying different parts, but the cost of the Spin Techs is well above most other mufflers. I'd hate to hear this oddball sound, take them off and have $300+ sitting in the corner of the garage.

blowby - As noted, I read the Spin Tech info on their site and other forums, watched a few Youtube videos.
    One thing that I didn't see...was any Youtube videos..."on the Dyno"..!

Thanks

Mike

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

According to the videos on their website they don't sound bad, they don't have that annoying metallic ringing that you get with the Flowmaster's that I hate so much. I didn't hear the whistle/hissing.

Would like to see some drawings or cutaway photos of the internals to see what's going on, their description leaves a lot to be desired.

17. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

I have a CD we made of their sounds and 22 other mufflers but not sure how to put the sections on here.

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think you have to post them elsewhere and just post the link here. You could make a video, even if it's just audio, and upload it to youtube. Then post the link here.

I'd like to see Ryan make links to Rumble work here, I've been trying to avoid youtube due to their excessive Big Tech censorship of information that runs counter to the mainstream media.

19. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Darn, I can't seem to imbed an iTunes track. Sorry.
    My CD is copyrighted and I'd hate to let things out randomly by using youtube. I'll figure something out.

20. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Blues4U
    I think that their website has drawings.
    It's pretty easy to see pretty much exactly what's inside..! Just look at the weld marks on the body of any of their muffler cans..! The only thing that you cant see is the perforations in each circular section. I know that I've seen drawings or photos somewhere.

I understand what I've heard sound wise, but a couple of people have mentioned this "whistle" sound. I'm curious about this.
    MANY years ago, they had a booth at the Pomona Swap Meet with an engine on a stand. As I recall, there was no objectionable sound, DIDN'T sound like a FlowMaster (I don't like either), but I don't recall any sort of whistle either. Then again...it has been a while..!

Thanks for trying VOETOM.

Mike

Blues4U likes this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That BB Chevhell is know as a sound alike in the circle of friends I hang. On Saturdays Donut Derelict’s in Huntington Beach is known for the 20-30 that show up.