Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Trans to Flathead Mounting Procedure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, May 13, 2021.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys. I’m looking for info on how to go about mounting my 39 three speed trans to an 8ba Flathead as well as clutch install. Probably pretty simple, but I’ve never done it & want to make sure I do it right. Are there any books out there that has this information. Possibly a motors manual specific to this job. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide to me.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

starter plate 2.jpg starter plate 3.jpg starter plates 1.jpg
    You need a 1/2 bell housing, either from a truck which is cast iron or one from a Merc which is pressed steel. Both will work but MAKE SURE you get the correct starter plate. The 1/2 bell plate is different from a full 8ba bell from a car. The truck housing will take an 11 inch clutch but the Merc will only take a 10 inch clutch. An 11 incher is over kill. Ft. Wayne clutch can set up up with a clutch assembly. I have a cast iron 1/2 bell and starter plate. PM me if interested or if you have other questions. I'm running an 8ba mated to a '39 trans using a Merc 1/2 bell in my '39 p/u. These photos might help.

3. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I have a couple Ford bell housings & starter plates. I’ll send pics when I get home.

4. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Here’s the bell housings & starter plate that I have.

Attached Files:

5. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

What books or manuals are out there to help me with the install of the clutch & trans??

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

You might also try asking your question over on the Ford Barn. If you call Fort Wayne Clutch talk to Lou, he's the man I send all my customers to.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what you need. Use the flywheel for the 8ba. Pretty simple bolt in job. The 8ba's didn't have steady rods since Ford went with an open drive line in '49. Not sure what the engine/trans combo it is going in but if it will have a closed drive line you should run steady rods. I didn't in my '39 p/u and had clutch shatter, mainly in reverse. Installed the steady rods and no more shudder. You can either fab up some brackets that bolt to the bell housing that the rods attach to. Or there was someone making the brackets. Not sure if he is one the HAMB or the Barn. IIRC he even was on Evil Bay.

8. Crankhole

Crankhole

My 8BA flywheel (out of a shoebox) had to be redrilled to fit a 10" clutch. Pretty simple after that.

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is info on the guy who makes or used to make the brackets to mount steady rods or anti chatter rods to an 8ba.
    Don't know if the info is still valid or not. Info came from a post on the Barn that came up on a Google search.

just talked to Mark Seitz today, April 5, 2020. His correct phone number is 234-600-8804 and he charges $60 which includes shipping for a pair of his brackets.
    His address is the same:
    5345 Parkman Road NW,
    Warren,OH 44481

GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  10. walter

walter

Its actually pretty straight forward. Use a 49 or 50 Mercury hogs head, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Trans bolts right up and I have not seen anyone need the chatter rods.

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe this is what's referred to as a hogshead. OP needs a 1/2 bell. As far as anti chatter rods/steady rods go it depends on if an open or closed drive line is used. Plenty of posts about using the rods (or not using them) on the Barn. I can say for sure that they made a difference on my '39 p/u with an 8ba. Others my have different experiences. 59atruckBH.JPEG

12. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I believe I have a hogs head sitting on my shelf. I’ve been collecting parts for my build for a while now. I’m just not sure if this is the correct one or if there’s any differences. I thought the hogs head was to adapt an s10 trans to a Flathead???

Attached Files:

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need the 1/2 bell you posted earlier. Not the hogshead in this post.

14. Agree with 51504bat - the hogs head is mostly used for a Chevy transplant.

15. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Ok. So it looks like I have everything I need. Just gotta find info on how to put it all together.
    Thanks Guys

16. clem

clem