Register now to get rid of these ads!

History STANCE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 13, 2021.

1. Stance has a long standing history with cars & trucks over the years, especially hot rods & customs from the low car club plaque dragging customs to the jacked up street freaks.

From the tail draggers to the nose down ass up stink bug look and everything in between.

After attending the Nat's South a couple of weeks ago I saw cars & trucks that seemed to cover all these styles.

How do you like your personal hot rods & customs to sit? Personally I still subscribe to the nose down look but I dig the stink bug look with the right car. HRP

[​IMG]

2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you even stance Bro? ;)

3. NOPE, well I have been know to kick back with my arse down and my feet up but the thread is about cars not me. :rolleyes: HRP

4. A nice forward rake. Nose down a bit more than the rear.

5. I'm more in the full-body, fat fender end of the spectrum so I've nothing fenderless. I like a tight, tailored look of the wheel well edge to the tire, no sleepy droops over the tire. Then as high as needed to clear any road wrinkles without slowing down. Obviously tire size and wheel well clearance play into it.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    VANDENPLAS and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. I like a moonshine rake.:D

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

depends on the Circum (circumference) stance

clem and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

rims/caps centered on the holes or even to an obvious line let the tires give it rake
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

1950 n 60s Miami Florida;
    I always liked ,as you put it;"Stinkbug" ,though we called it ,in Miami Fla. "Ready to Pounce"or "Beast" look.
    So were ya grew up may play fun with names used or even why!
    High up was dragcar" Tip Toe" but much later 80s came DONK:confused:
    Low was cool custom < but talking with only 3in. to 4 in. road clear,lower then that just looked really stupid hanging up on driveways in n out."then later came "How to look stupid in a new way" called bags.:( in the mud new tream.
    Tail down "Doggass" was how cars looked in colored town.
    A nother show.jpg
    I've had a lot of rake since 1959

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Agree with HRP some rake nose down, big/little, though my 51 Merc has 4 same size tires, still nose down some and no skirts, makes me happy. Stance, wheel /tire combo makes or breaks the cars "Look" IMO

05snopro440, beegator, i.rant and 4 others like this.
  11. If I don't get 'beached" or at least scrape my foot boxes on speed bumps my cars are still too high. A little nose down is always set into that plan.

12. It all depends on the vehicle and intended style to me. Some cars...forward hot rod rake all the way...others...taildragger, and some level. Overall, unless I am dealing with a four wheel drive, which I rarely do, it is always lower, just not dragging the ground since I won't use bags and need to drive my junk.

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have built all my customer chassis over the years to have the nose down stance and sit just right. To date I've had no complaints except maybe the front is to low. For my own deuces I like them low and on the full fendered ones the front edge of the running boards about 4 inches off the ground. I had to raise my 3 window because I was burning the paint off the crown of the front fenders with 24 inch tall tires.

14. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Stance and wheel and tire set the tone. Choose wisely and you've got a winner. Choose poorly, and you might be choosing again.

15. Nose down on most things, tail dragging on early customs. My coupe sits level and I HATE it. It will be corrected soon.

Stance + Wheel and tire combo are the most important decisions you make on a build. Choose wisely.

16. 2935ford

2935ford

17. Just right @2935ford. Too bad we don't have a double or triple 'like' button!

18. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like them all, just depends to which style and era a car is built. How a bout the " bent frame stance"? IMG_4439.JPG

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

20. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I think car stance can be the deciding factor in whether I even LIKE a certain car. So good post HRP.

For me? Level and loooooowwwwwwwwww.

Agree it depends on the car though. I do like rake n bigsnlittles on many of your guys cars I see on here.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as a full fendered early car goes 2935Ford's little green A pretty says it all for me.

Great rake, proper size tires that fit right in the wheel openings front and rear and wheels that fit right. Throw in the fact that when you first see the photo all you see is the complete car as one well thought out package and you don't have one single item glaring in your face dominating the car. 29 35 Ford A (2).jpg

22. 100% agree with this statement. I have seen some real POS's that had the perfect stance and wheel/tire combo which transformed the whole car.

05snopro440 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man, I hate the term stance can't really put my finger on why though. with that said, My Ford sits nose down
    40.....jpg

My corvette sits pretty level, it has 2 inch lowering blocks and cut coils up front
    zzzzzCORVETTE.jpeg

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  24. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

^That Corvette sits nice! And 6 taillights too. Sweet.

25. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Hot Rod nose down, Custom low all the way around.

image1.jpeg 2.JPG 50.jpg

WC145, Dean Lowe, Dave Mc and 8 others like this.
  26. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

California rake for me, I don't care what it is.........

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. We like them low at all 4, but a little lower in the front in this garage.

38174820922_2893630435_h.jpg Online 5.JPG 106786654_1001355973601135_6720724889712358295_o.jpg

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 56 doesn’t have a “stance” but it does have a nice 2-1/2” rake with the rear at stock height.. Isn’t stance-with-a-fist an Indian car?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Some cars need a stance and some don't. Come to think about it, a stance or not is still a stance.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.