Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build, NZ.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 3, 2021.

1. So why not put the motor in there as well. JW
    [​IMG]

VANDENPLAS, itsmee, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  2. The gap between the two flanges on the drive line will be filled with a single universal, it just happens The Willys flange and the axle flange are the same, even the bolt pattern. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    kiwijeff, itsmee, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  3. The rear radius rods will be fitted for looks not to be functional but will give some rigidity just by being there.
    The wheel base as it sits is 111 1/2 ''but will make it 112''. JW
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, itsmee, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. The oil filter will go along with the generator. I will put the oil line into a cooler instead. I am in two minds about a radiator or a water tank, leaning more towards a radiator. There will be just enough room in front of motor and behind the bulk head but there will be more room and better air flow if i mount it beside the motor on this side, will wait and see. JW
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, brEad, itsmee and 4 others like this.
  5. So what's left to do but see how much room is there for me. The seat can go back a bit more and my feet will be lower... even got my harness stuff out for the photo.:rolleyes: JW
    Oh; the sun was in my eyes.;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff, brEad and 9 others like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - dare to be different

7. Oh yes, but following the dream.:cool: JW

8. I reversed the main leaf of the spring to get the mount lower and for better chassis clearance and realized it can't be done as when the eye is moved to the top the leaf 's curve makes the eye's center to center longer! JW

9. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Looks good JW, lots of progress, are you planning on a roll cage? just been welding mine up last couple of weeks. I like the adjustable ride height setup. look forward to seeing more.

10. Cheers, Yes a full roll cage will be there when i get the exact seat position worked out. It will be to Bonneville standard. The reason for the adjustable ride height is that i haven't yet decided on the rear tire size so i can adjust both ends and keep it level. The motor and g-box with be adjustable also to keep crank to pinion in line. I'm working out the rear axle mounting at present with vertical adjustments. JW

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  11. Great build - best of luck !

Stogy, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  12. Thank you. :D JW

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff. So when do you think you’ll be taking her to the salt? I’m not real far from there (well, about 1,000 Km) and would like to see it run.

giddyup.

John

14. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Can I suggest that the radiator goes out the back somewhere.
    Safer to be there should it get a fracture or a hose come adrift, it's better than being covered in boiling water and have no way to avoid it.

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  15. This is being built to the Bonneville rule book and it must have a sealed bulk head between the two compartments so that ''shouldn't'' be an issue. Good point all the same. JW

VANDENPLAS, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. I retire in two and a half years so that was the plan to ship it over along with my RPU as push car, it was there as a support car in 1950. Due to this global mess things will be a wait and see. In the meantime i will run it here at the bottom of the South Island on the same beach that Burt Munro raced his Indian. My wife also wants to have a drive. I have given myself about three years to build it. JW

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I am curious as to where this event would be?
    Have you also thought about Lake Gairdner in Oz?

18. I have thought about Lake Gardiner but if it leaves NZ to run on Salt it will be Bonneville. The place where Burt raced his Indian is Oreti beach, just West of Invercargill. They used the actual beach in the movie ''Worlds Fastest Indian''. JW
    Edit; Invercargill is in New Zealand.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  19. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Been to Bonneville and the hardware store display in Invercargill, even got tee shirts to prove it too.

VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  20. My first trip and the attack of the salt bug, the hardware store was closed when i was there but i got pics through the window. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  21. With all the (very necessary) safety equipment; roll cage, more rigid chassis, fire extinguishers and 1/4 inch scatter shield, its amazing we can get even close to the speeds set by these style of racers back in the 50's. JW

22. Spent a few hours cleaning the rear axle in preparation for fitting the adjustable mounts. The spring pads will come off but for now will serve as a platform to get thing square. Wiil do the backing plates when i overhaul the brakes. JW
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, Stogy, itsmee and 2 others like this.
  23. The mount plates and some of the gussets. The holes when mated the the chassis mounts will allow the axle to be adjusted up in 1/2'' increments to allow for a taller tire and allow the chassis to remain level' If i had a much bigger budget i would have fitted a Winters QC. JW
    [​IMG]

VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff, brEad and 6 others like this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Good luck and I hope you are able to live out your dream of running on the salt! I made the mistake of not pursuing my dreams and now my wife and I have health issues that make them just my dreams, I am subscribed.

25. Thanks and sorry to hear of your issues. I was in a bad marriage and all my projects went on hold for about 20 years, re married to a car chick and full steam ahead. Got very close to your town (Burwell) in 2019 on our last trip to Bonneville, Nebraska is a lovely State. :D JW

kiwijeff, Stogy, Dick Stevens and 2 others like this.
  26. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Beautiful! Hope you get it done faster than expected. And think of the future, you can "upgrade" to the F-head Willys engine later on for a little more power.

27. Thanks, OR down grade to a pre 35 block and go for a record. As for getting it done faster, i just said to a work mate that i want to get it finished sooner so yes, the push is on.
    In NZ we have an organisation called Land Speed NZ that hold four race days a year at different locations and i plan on running it on three of them, #1 a four mile flat closed off road about 6 hours away. #2 our third longest runway at one and a half miles and#3 is Oreti beach at the bottom of NZ, this is where Burt Munro ran his Indian. JW

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff, brEad and 5 others like this.
  28. Made an MDF template for the chassis mount plate for the rear axle, will take it to work and plasma cut it from some 1/4'' plate. JW
    [​IMG]

VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff, brEad and 4 others like this.
  29. CDOGV8

CDOGV8

Hi Jeremy you always had a passion for those old willys ; Us V8ers could never catch you around that gymkana. all the best with the new project. Pete

Stogy, AndersF and 26 T Ford RPU like this.