Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WAAAY TOO LOUD!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sting Ray, May 12, 2021.

1. Yeah, I'm shouting because I can't hear anything even at idle, lol. Usually I'm making a car louder but this is so loud that if I were a cop I'd hafta give myself a fix-it ticket. I can't find mufflers that will quiet this thing down. The ones that I've found are little 12 inchers that aren't going to make it any quieter. Having 4" pipes seems to have eliminated a lot of options.

Any ideas, thoughts or past experience is greatly appreciated. Not looking for whisper quiet, just a way to tone it down to a livable level.

Attached Files:

Elcohaulic, slayer, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like a car that should be loud.

3. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Run tailpipes out the back. You can buy mandrel bent turns and do it yourself if no one near can do 4" mandrel bends. Or, try a second muffler.

4. Those little straight through bullet mufflers don't do squat. You need a real muffler. Being 4 inch pipe doesn't help the noise level either, but it seems right for the car.

loudbang, Sting Ray and Deuces like this.

5. vinfab

vinfab

I have fenderwell headers with 3 inch collector extensions to just behind the door. I use race augers and while not quiet they are tolerable.

loudbang, Sting Ray and Deuces like this.
  6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

This is an "apples to donuts" comparison. My custom Volvo had a Smithy muffler and exited just in front of rear tire. It got much quieter when I routed the exhaust out the back.

Gangrene, loudbang and Sting Ray like this.
  7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I don't think there aren't any "quiet" mufflers, or even "semi-quiet," with 4" exhaust.

Maybe you could expand your options by going to a 3" pipe. Remove the entire exhaust system when you want to make some power and noise.

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, 3 and 4” is really hard to quiet down to a decent level. Borla’s mufflers seem to do a good job of taking the irritating rasp out of big pipes but they are not cheap. I even put their collector mufflers on a couple cars and was surprised at how well they quiet down a big block. Not very traditional looking though.
    Years ago my boss had some big 3” in and out truck cylindrical mufflers on his Stude pickup with a stroker Pontiac, it was loud but not obnoxious. Check truck listings for something if you want a stock muffler look.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Deuces and Sting Ray like this.
  9. Looks like a race car,,,,,what do you expect,,,,LoL.
    And it must be a huge engine ,,,to need 4 inch exhaust?
    It looks really cool though,,,,,I think quite might be out of reach .

Tommy

10. It's gonna be tough to tame a 4" exhaust, period. But try a mild muffler like a Magnaflow 10416 or Dynomax Super Turbo and add a resonator to each pipe. You will probably feel a decrease in your butt dyno, but that's the price you gotta pay.
    I'm running 12" length Dynomax race bullets and despite their name, they're really not that loud even when dumped under the car. The typical Harley with exhaust is a good bit louder than my car. Granted I don't have 4" exhaust, but still.

Edit: The Pypes Street Pro mufflers are also pretty quiet. So much so that I took them off my car because I wanted to hear it more. They're stainless and fairly inexpensive with what looks like pretty decent quality. I'm still running their X-pipe on my 55.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    loudbang and Sting Ray like this.
  11. It's a 440. No room to run exhaust out the back. Might have to try @bchctybob suggestion of a truck muffler. Might have to go to 3".

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I might be imagining this but don't some Pro Mod racers run through mufflers and are curiously also more powerful a consequence? If true there's no mention as to how quiet they might be, or not. But might be an avenue to explore?

Alternatively, I gather electric cars are quiet! ;)

Chris

loudbang likes this.
  13. 3 ,,,,or 3.5,,,,,,I believe 3 would handle it,,,,especially if it is a street car part time.
    Looks great,,,,,do you have any pics of the engine,,,,,good looking wha5 I can see .
    Blower too,,,,it should be pretty strong,,,,,,good old 440,,,I like em !
    Oh yeah,,,,your avatar pic is cool as well,,,,,looks mean too .

Tommy

loudbang likes this.
  14. What size exhaust are you running?

Not real concerned with losing power, I'm sure there is still plenty. Probably will need a new tune also. This is a street car despite the look.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Put it back stock :D

Sting Ray likes this.
  16. Here ya go Tommy.

Attached Files:

kadillackid, AHotRod, slayer and 6 others like this.
  17. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

A balance tube might help. Would be easy enough to try it out, short of re-doing the entire exhaust.

18. Ohh yeah,,,,that’s what im talking about ,,,,looks very good !
    Good looking setup,,,,,is that a complete Dyers blower setup,,,or just a drive added to an older blower housing,,,,the case looks old school to me ?
    A lot of details in those pics,,,engine plate,,,,manifold,,,,carbs look awesome,,,and linkage.
    From the wraps color,,,it has been run a little as well .
    Also,,,I like the tach drive,,,,,is that a Unilite,,,,if so I have one just like in my old car ?

Looks great !

Tommy

loudbang and wraymen like this.
  19. Dumped 2.5" with longtubes on this car, but I had 3" on an OT Mustang with the same Dynomax race bullet mufflers and it was also acceptable as far as noise goes.

loudbang likes this.
  20. This. Putting an x-pipe on my car really took some of the bark out of it with the stupid big cam and lots of initial timing.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

4" pipe isnt any different than diesels of today.

Flowmaster DPX would be a good bet.

loudbang likes this.
  22. That car looks great, the 440 with the blower puts it over the top. Living in Hawaii I see your concern for noise. I’m betting the folks in California are wondering what that distant rumble is.
    (Yeah I know it’s probably in KS but they might be able to hear it from there too.);)

23. Also,,,,compression ratio has a huge effect on noise .
    The more power it is making,,,and the compression,,,,it will be much louder ,,,,trust me .

Tommy

loudbang and Mr. Sinister like this.
  24. spudshaft

spudshaft

Could you "step" the pipe down to say 3" just prior to the muffler and step it back up after?

Sting Ray likes this.
  25. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I went through this pretty quick so apologies if mentioned already. Some circle track racing requires mufflers and Speedway has them. No idea about diameters.

26. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I've never heard of anyone running dual 4-inch pipes on a street-driven car. Diesel pickups might run a single 4-in. Besides being noisy, they must take up a lot of space. No wonder you don't have room for larger mufflers.

27. Yeah, I'm thinking that might be the way to go, thanks.

Good idea KevKo, I've been perusing what's been suggested, will look into the circle burner offerings.

Desoto hemi (Tommy), it's a Dyers street blower. Tach drive is a Moroso 12K rpm piece.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yeah...you're barking up an invisible tree..!
    Are you really serious, a BIG (kidding !) 12" muffler and you think THAT will work ? How about a diesel truck muffler ?

A 3" or 4" system ANY sort of quiet, not even in your dreams..!
    Maybe with cam with a 125° lobe center angle might help the idle sound..!

Mike

29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

30. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Op Nice looking car , If you just like the look that's you , (4inch) But yr exhaust is over kill, You do not need dual 4inch on that set up .. It takes a big motor even with a Blower / supercharger to need 4 inch ,
    Even if you where to drop it down to dual 3 inch with a bullet style muffler its going to be just as loud , I run Borla XR1 collector mufflers , ( super comp Roadster mufflers / Top dragster ) not to loud until wide open ,
    (Model A & 32 )My header sweep over front fender angle down Exit right a front of door (A pillar) & I tapered from 4 inch opening to 2-7/8s all with in 8 inches.
    Primary tubes 2-1/4. Big inch SB

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    1934coupe and Just Gary like this.