Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Be Careful Out There

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Joker, May 7, 2021.

1. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I ride to old scooter , not as much as I did in the past . Driving a motorcycle , I think will make you become a more alert driver , and pay attention to surrounds . I always try to plan for an escape route . I have been blasted in the rear on the bike once . It was no fun . I got up , dusted off and said I’m ok . I wasn’t by a long shot . I try to pass on to everyone , if involved an a crash , go the hospital and get checked out . I had 2 crushed vertebra in my neck and did not know it until 2 years later , when my hand went numb . Road rage is not a good thing , Lloyd has explained my feelings well , 2 stupid mistakes don’t fix the problem . Let the fool go , and say thanks you were not hurt or killed . These are 4000 lb missiles and think nothing of what damage they do when misguided .

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

I don't care who you are, that's an dumb move....What you going to do if the SUV rams you. What you going to do if a witness says you brake checked the car behind you, it's not a legal move.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Joe Blow, Cosmo49, WalkerMD and 6 others like this.
  3. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

I work with a guy who would throw spare change back at tailgaters. Now that’s stupid!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Chew tobacco and spit out the window

5. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

More the reason to stay on the old 2 lanes. Old rods weren't built to run on Interstates. Folks installing overdrive trannys and pushing these cars to higher speeds are asking for trouble. A 5 speed is tempting in this day and age but a 4 speed with a shorter gear can keep you from getting into a world of hurt. Speed shifting is another story ;)

Joe

6. Deuces

Deuces

That would really hurt!....:confused::rolleyes:

7. Actually, It's more when I'am at a stop light and they roll right up my keister. Wish I could suck them up my exhaust pipe.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The “left lane for passing only” is good thing that should be enforced. Otherwise there are dipshits scattered in all lanes clogging up traffic flow and they are totally oblivious to anything outside their car.

Some tailgaters are overly aggressive, but many are just trying to get the attention of the asshole(s) inhibiting traffic flow when they could just as well keep to the right, which is where slower traffic is supposed to be.

Traffic studies have shown the safest speed to travel is the rate of the majority of traffic. Vehicles traveling at speeds significantly less than, or greater than, the majority are more likely to cause and/or be involved in an accident.

In my approach to driving, I attempt to facilitate the flow of traffic, not impede. That means paying attention to what is going on around you and watching traffic in front and behind and making an effort to anticipate and accommodate flow.

I don’t know which is more problematic, the zombie drivers or the small minded nimrods who take perverse pleasure in using their vehicle to vent their aggressions by actively impeding traffic flow.

Ray

9. Me too! PXL_20201007_145730729.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I man-scape, so the fleas wouldn't have anything to hang on to.:eek:

11. ................TMI, man, TMI.......:eek::D..;)

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

I hear my Dad talking, "People drive Terrible" As a young man I never thought that, now as a senior citizen I say "People drive Terrible" I moved out to the country for 30 years then retired to "Up North" to get away from people/traffic. Now when I get near a bigger city, Yikes ! People drive like Idiots. I rode motorcycles for 35 years, IMO, I think that makes you a better defensive driver, and got off at 62 thinking it was time to quit while I could before someone killed me when they are on their cell phone. It's official, I'm an Old Fart

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  13. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

There's a new phenomenon in New Jersey. When you're on the interstate we have drivers that think it's a NASCAR event. Drift from the fast lane through the center lane between two cars about a car length and a half apart,now into the slow lane so they drift back through the center lane into the fast lane.
    They will zig zag like this for miles and never a cop to see it
    Pretty scary.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Pats55

So, for YOU to observe them “doing this for miles”…. you must somehow be keeping pace with them????….…:confused: ……..:D

Ray

15. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

No I don't follow them. They Disappear into the horizon

16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

We get that in Kaleeforneea too, many seem to have gone to the Danica Patrick Driving School. I actually saw a pair of Priuses (Priusi?) road raging one morning- it was actually funny to watch, like two drunks pillow-fighting

17. bchctybob

bchctybob

I like your response to this misfortune. Two years later and you’ve built a better, faster wagon and a new roadster! Now that’s recovering!

18. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It might be slower but I think it's, safer to drive in town these days. Traffic lights, turn lanes seem to slow people down. I think the younger drivers have spent too much time on electronic devices, where they just bounce of guard rail and continue on their merry way. Reality is different. What gets me are the lane changers who switch lanes once every 30 seconds. Driving on freeways thru town involves watching mirrors like a hawk. Blinkers seem to be rarely used on freeways.

19. bchctybob

bchctybob

I agree. I live in a rural area with predominantly 45-55 mph speed limits. There’s lots of interesting old ranches and landscape to see so the slower speed is fine with me. When I go back to LA I have to drive much faster than I’d like to and I return to my old aggressive driving style in order to get where I need to go. Cooperation and courtesy are nonexistent, if you signal a lane change most will close up the gap. 70-80 mph is normal when the traffic is moving and the concept of braking distance is unknown. So far I’m quite able to make the adjustment but it gets harder as I get older.

20. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I thought smooth was for kustoms, not hotrods. :D

Deuces likes this.
  21. 270283

Anybody that drives slower than me is a menace and anybody that drives faster than me is a lunatic. I think that about covers it.

X-cpe, twenty8, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  22. Nailed it

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I open it up when the light changes to create distance rather quickly. Works 90% of the time. They get the message out of the Hookers & Flowmasters. ;)

Joe

24. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

For those with manual chokes, pull it all the way out as a great way to discourage tail gaiters.

Hnstray, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Have a crazy friend that installed a reservoir and pump that would squirt tranny fluid in the exhaust system in his old Ford many years ago. Mosquitos get bad down here sometimes :D

Joe

26. sunbeam

sunbeam

Deuces likes this.