Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help on torque tube length for AV8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan Turk, May 11, 2021.

1. Ryan Turk

Ryan Turk
    from Austin, TX

Hello there, building a AV8 per Bishop/Tardel. Searched for details on torque tube application but no answer to this specific question.

I am using a Model A frame, an original 32 K member, and an original Halibrand 201 QC but I have not yet mocked anything up. I have the opportunity to buy a 4-cy 1933-34 torque tube, which is 60 11/64" and a 33-34 V8 driveshaft, which is 60 1/4".

I suppose two questions: 1) will these work together and 2) since I have to shorten anyway, will these lengths work?

2. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

The hard part with a pre 35 torque tube is that they have a constant tapper which makes shortening tough. Length will be more than adequate but the later tube will be much easier to work with.

FLiP

@eights_aces_flip on instagram
    eightsandacestattoo on Facebook

stillrunners and flatford39 like this.
  3. Ryan Turk

Ryan Turk
    from Austin, TX

I thought the 35-36 tube was tapered while the 33-34 tube was constant diameter?

4. Rod&relics

Rod&relics

As I recall my chassis worked out to shorten the tube & driveshaft 18 3/8 “.
    The tube was damaged near the wishbone mount and it was cut out of that area. A bunch of tack and test until there was no run-out. Machinist buddy said the shaft too hard to re-spline, opted to make a sleeve tapered inside both ends and taper cut shaft to press fit.
    Drilled and pinned in place, tested straight, also welded in stages. Set up a dial indicator to verify. No bearing was used, only added a “dam” piece to keep the rear oil from running up the tube.
    FYI, while measuring for some reason I was looking for a circle that matched the inside of the bell so I could find the true center of the bell. My daughters softball was an exact fit in the bell allowing me to find the actual center of the circle, something like 1 1/8”
    My rear is pre-war I think 37-38 cause cable brakes

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

33 34 torque tube is a constant taper, like an exhaust megaphone, and the drive shaft is a straight hollow tube. you are going to shorten it, so yes it will work. Best to shorten it on a long lathe so you have a true cut. Cut it at the back weld seam, right where henry welded it the first time.