Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welder suggestions

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Chadcamo, May 8, 2021.

1. Chadcamo

Chadcamo
    from Western Pa

Hello everyone sorry if I posted this to the wrong spot I’m new to the forum, I’m planning on getting a model a coupe in the near future, but I have to get some tools stockpiled first. Any suggestions on welders for a beginner/ other tools for bodywork?

2. Chadcamo

Chadcamo
    from Western Pa

Any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks in advance guys

3. A Lincoln or Miller are great brands.

At work we bought a Norther star or something like that, it’s a Miller knock off, same whip same tips etc.
    The nice thing is it runs in 110 and 220volt

welds good on 110 welds fantastic on 220 .

lots of deals to be had on used units

what type of body workmate you planning on doing ?

clamps, dollys, hammers, shears, grinders and files are good started and can be used for slot of different projects other then body work.

you can always add as you need. The tool or acquire the skill.

Chadcamo and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

If you wise a 110 welder be sure you have a circuited to handle it. Be sure your extension cord can handle the amps.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. Chadcamo

Chadcamo
    from Western Pa

Thanks! I’m planning on buying a model a coupe in the near future that I want to turn into an early 60’s style drag car. I kinda want something a little ratty to learn how to patch and weld on. That northern sounds like that might be the welder for me considering I only have 110 to my garage currently. I’ll have to check some prices

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Chadcamo

Chadcamo
    from Western Pa

Thanks for the advice, I bought an old house that I plan on upgrading the wiring running to my garage immediately, they have a crappy old 2/12 wire running overhead to the garage currently And the entire thing just looks like a fire hazard lol.

pprather likes this.
  7. xix32

xix32

gas welding patch.JPG Oxygen / Acetylene

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Chadcamo likes this.
  8. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

go ahead and get a miller you'll have it for life or if ya trade up it will hold value het a higher power 110 135-140 amps with gas the newer ones go 110=220 .. on 110 short fat extension closer to breaker box the better ..practice makes perfect never learn on finished product ,, just grab metal and go at it and go and go .. ,,mm a med sized harbor freight compressor,, air saw,, angle grinder for 24 and 80 rol loc discs . a palm style DA sander , brnd name air tools check craigs list and ebay they last forever so used is ok ..
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

Chadcamo likes this.
  9. Chadcamo

Chadcamo
    from Western Pa

I definitely plan on getting a set of torches, do you think a plasma cutter would be worth the investment?

10. xix32

xix32

I don't own a plasma cutter.

Chadcamo likes this.
  11. Chadcamo

Chadcamo
    from Western Pa

wow man, I really appreciate the advice, I’ll have to start gathering up some scrap steel to practice on, I’m gonna need to get a pen and paper to write this stuff down lol. I gotta say the knowledge you guys have on this site blows me away.

12. Chadcamo

Chadcamo
    from Western Pa

no problem thanks for the help.

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have a Hobart 120V MiG , it’s my go to for everything but structure stuff . For that I have a 250 Amp , Lincoln MiG . I’m going to invest in a Tig shortly . I burned many many a sticks in my life . There is no place on an Auto I would use a stick machine over one of my MiG welders . But that’s just me . Practice , practice , practice makes you a welder not the machine .

Chadcamo likes this.
  14. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

plasma cutters are really over rated . dont like rust, paint or dirt . make a shaky cut and ya gotta go back and finish all the edges , they work ok on thick 16ga and up clean stock on a bench with a guide , put id pass on that idea ,,
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

15. Chadcamo

Chadcamo
    from Western Pa

thank, my dad has a Hobart too and he loves that thing. I would really like to learn how to Tig as well but that’ll probably be a while lol. The only time I’ve ever seen stick was for an elevator company I worked for, they used to stick weld all of their rope machines to the frames

16. I have a Lincoln Weld Pak 100, it’s a 110 volt set up. We have had it for 18 years and it’s been a great machine. That being said, I would also consider a Miller or Hobart machine as well. I’ve looked at the machines at Harbor Freight (I have nothing against The Harbor), but the reason I would not buy one is spare parts or consumable items. If anyone here has a Harbor Machine, please chime in and let us know how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

VANDENPLAS and Chadcamo like this.
  17. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Hobart has a new multi unit that is mig an tig that is quite nice but is a bit hard to get at the moment. Price is good an only draw back is in tig doesn't do aluminum but you can get a spool gun in mig for that

Chadcamo likes this.
  18. Chadcamo

Chadcamo
    from Western Pa

That’s no joke, looks like I can get one through northern tool but it’s back ordered two weeks out. 1200 bucks for a mig/tig welder doesn’t seem like a bad deal.

19. Starting out I'd get a Lincoln Weldpack, cheap but good. But everybody has their own opinion on what they like. It all depends on how much cash you wanna spend. Weldpack 100 is great for sheetmetal repair. And once you get comfortable, sell it and move up to a "better"..... well..... more expensive welder. I have a Lincoln 175. I love it. But they're all good. If i had the coin I'd have an ESAB in my shop.

Chadcamo and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  20. falcon2

falcon2
    from michigan

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Don't rule out a old Lincoln buzz box stick welder for heavier materials like frames. Mine is a 220v, I've had it probably 35 years and it was secondhand when I got it. I just used it this past week making some motor mounts. I've also got a 120V Lincoln mig that I use flux core wire in, one of these days I'm gonna get a bottle for it. It's fine on thinner stuff, but for heavy stuff I use the stick. I do all my cutting with either a cut off wheel on a die grinder or with a abrasive blade on an old metal Skil saw I have. Don't try it with one with a plastic blade guard, you'll melt it off! Don't ask how I know, LOL!

22. dmikulec

dmikulec

My first welder was an Eastwood MIG 135 110/220 on a bottle. I'm very happy with it. Plasma cutter too.

23. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

i use a miller 175,love it is 10 years old,never gave me any grief,I recently bought a plasma cutter,i dreamed abiut having one for years.It is handy to have around to cut steel,not good for body metal,it does take a lot of ptactice to get it to cut good,its not as easy as it looks:confused:.i had a set of torches years ago,used to use them for welding patches before i bought a mig,i dont miss them at all,even the plasma cutter i could live without. harvey

Chadcamo likes this.
  24. Chadcamo

Chadcamo
    from Western Pa

I’ve been looking at those, they are priced really well. I think I have it narrowed to the Hobart multihandler, a Lincoln or one of those Eastwood’s

dmikulec likes this.
  25. nutnfits

nutnfits

I’ve got a Hobart 135 ,plugs into 110, bought new in 2000.still works great.works best on metal under 1/8” thick. An older guy where I used to work did the welding, he taught me a good trick to use. If you’re trying to weld something that’s a little more than the 110V welder wants to do, preheat it. It doesn’t have to be red hot, just enough to give it a head start. I keep a quick light burnsomatic torch handy.For the heavier stuff like suspension and frame work,I use an old 1974 bought brand new,Miller 225 stick welder. Welding with 220V really melts things together. Practice ,Practice, Practice. have fun.

Chadcamo and caseywheels like this.