Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Model A - 1929 Brookeville Roadster Body

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Matthew H., May 10, 2021.

1. Matthew H.

Matthew H.

Hi everyone,

Purchased my first Model A last weekend from a family down in Solano Beach, CA. The running chassis was in really good condition, just needed some fine-tuning and cleaning up, but all Original (minus the 12V conversion). The body that was on it had seen better days, so I opted for a brand-new 29 Roadster with the rumble seat from Brookeville. Luckily a friend had one in-stock not too far, so I was fortunate to avoid the hefty freight and wait time.

Pretty neat the Engine and Frame #'s match up, I hear that isn't all that common with how many engines people swapped out over the years. Runs like a champ, just needs some proper parts to be more period correct. Which I have stock-piled from a recent C.W. Moss parts run. Just taking my time installing it all, and having a blast while doing it.

Here is how the vehicle started, and how it sits today with the new body on. Definitely have some work cut out ahead of me, but I am really happy with the start. Only weird spot, is the original throttle linkage rod, just before the accelerator pedal must be a tad bent or out of shape because I had a heck of a time getting it through the small hole on the wood floor-board. And it still sticks on the wood, either need a new linkage, or need to open up that hole on the wood to allow it to clear without catching.

Running Chassis Front .jpg Running Chassis Rear .jpg Body off Frame .jpg Body on Frame - Side Profile .jpg Body - Front 3:4 .jpg Body - Rumble Seat .jpg Body - Interior View .jpg

Anyways, happy to keep on building this and eventually getting it on the road! Will continue to post progress pictures as I go on this thread. Thanks for having a look.

- Matthew -

Tim, set me on fire, itsmee and 5 others like this.
  2. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Well you have a bit of a mismatch there on parts, 30-31 throttle setup was different than 28-29. The bigger issue is the radiator, as I'm sure you've already noticed, sits a lot higher on 30-31's so the hood won't fit. Front crossmember is different on the radiator mounting points so even with a 28-29 radiator it still won't be right.

Matthew H. likes this.
  3. Matthew H.

Matthew H.

Very true, I realized that but oddly like the way it looks. It's not too far off, I was a thinking it would be a lot worse. So my issue with the throttle pedal/linkage is that its mated to my 30 Engine, but not technically designed for the 29 Wood Floor? I think the biggest miss is the hole is just too small. That seems like an easy fix, as I don't believe I can run a 29 throttle linkage on my 30 Engine correct?

I should have mentioned, I don't intend to run a hood and/or sides.

4. If you want to run a 29 radiator swap in a 28-9 front cross member.

Matthew H. likes this.

5. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

The throttle linkages interchange just fine, the pedal and the bend is just different between the two and it makes the pedal about an inch off if you have the wrong one.

Matthew H. likes this.
  6. Matthew H.

Matthew H.

Actually looking, the 29-30 linkage was the same right? http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/throttlecontrols.htm

7. alchemy

alchemy

Don't need to do that. The 30/1 crossmember has lower radiator pads than the 28/9 crossmember, so to make up the difference he'll only need to add about a quarter inch of spacers under the radiator feet.

X38, A Boner, 51 mercules and 2 others like this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm very excited to watch this project come together. Seeing @13clicks' '28 roadster on a '30 chassis in Santa Barbara was a huge turning point for me. It made me realize that these cars don't have to be overly complex to be crazy cool. Yours is going to rule—I'm sure of it! D246C8C2-01F4-4AB8-AFEF-B07635013D09.jpg

9. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Is there a possibility you could post a picture of the inner frame like maybe a shot of the right or left wheel well and anything that shows the subframe rail.
    Sure appreciate it and nice heap