Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Your Car Time Going Forward: A Poll Of Sorts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 10, 2021.

?
  1. More

360 vote(s)
    82.2%
  2. Less

78 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. chriseakin

chriseakin

I retired March 2020 and my wife got laid off the year before, but got enough of a settlement she decided to take retirement. Anyway, with the extra time I haven't done much on my project but I am hoping to do more. I actually got out and attacked a fender dent with a big rubber hammer and got rid of most of it. I have some welding I need done on the frame - my own welder is broken and my skill isn't there yet. My income is fairly low and we have renovations on the house coming soon, but I still hope to get out there and do more.

2. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

I’m lucky I suppose as I work in essential services so the slowdown didn’t affect me, although mid lockdown I was offered a similar job with a 7 x 12hr shifts then 7days off, I jumped at it to have more time to build my toys.
    Now 9 months in and I still have trouble making time for the cars, there’s always something to do around the house , and by beer o clock flip flops, beer and angle grinders aren’t a good idea!
    But here down under the swap meets are bouncing back with better prices and parts than I have seen in many many years, social distance cruise nights are getting great turn outs , young guys are getting into old stuff and I think the scene is healthy , Rattle trap was last weekend (Our ROG) and it was a good turnout .
    The glass is half full!
    I’ve got a shed full of projects , a head full of dreams ,a Mrs that’s a rodder and a fridge full of beer ....Roll on 2021

Beanscoot likes this.
  3. Lil32

Lil32

not sure when we will be able to recommence our regular trips to USA
    an airline company has $2000 of our money from their cancelled flights 2020
    have asked for it back,they will not help
    Govt tells use no o/seas flights till 2022/23 ?
    sure miss USA, LARS.So Cal,Donut Derelicts,Disney and all other sites
    retired and drive our coupe a lot,some shows coming back

winduptoy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I checked less, but reality its probably going to be close to the same.
    I retired a couple years ago, so the lockdown didn't have much effect on me. I'm just finishing up my last project. I growing tired of major projects at this point in my life.
    Last year I spent a lot of time in the shop working on this project, partly because other then short cruises in the coupe, there really wasn't anyplace to go to. The concerns of finding gas stations open, and places to eat really put a squeeze on travel.
    Things are opening up more now, so travel will be up more for us, and with the project nearly done, I have more time to cruise, and a 2nd vehicle to cruise in.
    I didn't buy more then a normal number of parts last year (mostly repair or minor upgrade parts), but very likely will be buying a lot fewer parts this year.

So this year will be less time in the garage and more time behind the wheel, so over all, probably a little less time with the car this year. We re doing a road trip with the coupe at the end of the month, probably around 2,000 miles itself. That is almost 1/2 the number of miles we put on the coupe all of last year.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  5. SlamIam

SlamIam

I'm retired and just finished a long term project (my avatar), now beginning another, and planning a 5,000 mile road trip in one of them - 2020 was wonderful for me, lots of shop time with fewer demands on my available time so I could finish a project and enjoy driving it - what I've noticed is many of the aftermarket parts I'd purchased lacked quality or needed modification to fit, needing just as much work as if I'd adapted a junk yard or swap meet part - I expect when I buy a brand new part that its going to be of reasonable quality and fit like its supposed to - I'm quickly whittling down my list of vendors to those that respond to my questions and sell parts that fit

charleyw and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. Need to add “same” to the poll.
    My situation is probably unique. As a teacher, I get summers off.
    Comparing the time I had during the pandemic is not a very good measure. We were shut down so I had a ton of extra time to beat on cars.

57 Fargo likes this.
  7. The HAMB s pacific market mat be dying or at least changing but I see lots of youth involved in cars
    Visited our local circle track this weekend, kids all over the place. The 4x4 mud places are packed with kids.
    The “market” has depended on parents/relatives on passing down the hobby. Well, that business model has failed. You’d think the powers that be would have paid attention to the trend of young people not getting drivers licenses. SEMA makes a poor attempt at attracting the youth. Maybe the focus on multi-million dollar builds should be focused on a larger market.
    The NSRAs and Goodguys should have changed the year cutoff a decade before they did. Maybe even two decades. Hot rodding was born out of low cost fun and will be killed by a big dollar out of reach reality. A recent thread on the latest NSRA event noted the lack of young people. Why is that? Well maybe only older folks knew it was going on. How about the NSRA handing out passes to local schools, maybe the shop and Ag classes. They’re not losing money if they weren’t going to show up anyway.
    The aftermarket needs to bypass the parents, relatives and car hoarders and reach out to a future customer that exists but doesn’t realize what’s out there.
    Anyway, thanks for trying.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Phillips, Jrs50, Beanscoot and 2 others like this.
  8. Jr. Fueler

Jr. Fueler

I'll work on my junk more this year. Probably attend less hot rod events but now that things are opening up, I will be at the drag strip more. I'm very fortunate that my biz showed great growth in 2020 and has continued. It's hard to tear into a running, driving coupe to "finish" it but it deserves the effort to make it better, more useable.

I feel for the companies that we depend on that are struggling!!! I'm one of those that hates change. Seeing so many companies that we have sourced parts from for years being swallowed up by large corporate investment whores makes me sick.

No idea if any of this helps, but I'll be doing something with cars until I'm gone.

Thanks for providing a place for us the share, learn most importantly....hang out with like minded people! GO MAN GO!

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. John Starr

John Starr

2020 --
    Working from home; wonderful! Awesome family time restored. Priceless memories.
    Working on the car in the garage: forget it!

2021 --

Working from home; frustrating! Family constantly interfering, slowing me down!
    Working on the car in the garage: full speed ahead!

10. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Can I trade my time for a bigger garage? ;)

11. Mine, Sitting and rotting.

12. I, for one, am most happy about this single statement...

Editor’s Note #1: The only thing shared with the group will be the public poll data. I don’t collect or share ANYTHING else. This isn’t Facebook or Instagram. You are private here. But also, don’t at all feel obligated to participate.​

This is pretty high up on my list as well!

Editor’s Note #2: I could see this going to politics. However, we don’t host politics here. If you post anything that could be construed as politics, it is very likely that you will lose your account. So, just don’t go there…​

winduptoy likes this.
  13. Absolutely! Preach on HRP!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Dude. You run the HAMB. You are the coolest person around!

Nah.... I totally understand the social anxiety thing. I really struggle with those thoughts myself.

Thank you for all that you do for us. This is my only car club. I love it. You are a rockstar here!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I retired Sept 2020 and plan on spending more time working on and driving my stuff. Already have attended several cruises in 2021.

16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Thats a hard question to answer more or less as I am in the same boat as some. I answered LESS as I am not a crowd type of guy and get anxiety at those things plus cant sit still for 15 minutes. So big events have never been my thing. Chairs are for the porch not a car show.
    MORE events that are small loaded with friends and buddies a good swapmeet and outdoors.
    MORE time to enjoy life family friends outdoors and old cars . As said never needed a car event to drive my old car or truck. There’s plenty to enjoy in this great country, we personally learned a bit more about peace during our time off last year.

silent rick likes this.
  17. longhorizon

longhorizon

Superbly well said. All of it.

18. Likely less, but that's because it's getting ready to go down for a couplefew weeks to get totally rewired, replumbed, and a few other odds and ends. Then there's the engine swap I want to do, but that's probably a Winter project. I also have an OT car I enjoy putting seat time in. That car has taken a lot of attention away from my 55. Probably why she broke her motor mount on me recently. :D

The past year didn't decrease my seat time really, just the time I'd spend at cruises and shows and whatnot. I enjoy my cars the most while driving them. Crazy, right? But I had not been attending events as much as I used to even before the pandemic. For one, it's just not as fun without my dad. Two, I'm what you would call a political and ideological minority at most car events in my area, though you'd never know it because they're not something I feel the need to share with strangers in these settings. I think that bit has a LOT to do with the lack of younger guys at old car events. Three, the older I get, the more of a loner I've become.

Regarding the post that created this poll, I spent a lot of dough on my cars over the past year upgrading and updating. As far as the industry is concerned, I did more to financially support it this past year than ever before.

So overall, I will be spending less time with my 55 doing car things. Probably equal or more time with my OT car since my 55 will be down for a bit.

Lastly, seeing so many guys talk about seeing their clocks running down and trying to do as much as they can, man that puts things in perspective. Very humbling. I'm going to spend some time reflecting on that, so thank you.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  19. ken bogren

ken bogren

I said more, but that might be more of a hope and a prayer that a statement of fact.

20. I just want to say you've always been cool to interact with and I'm pulling for you.

das858 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Got an e-mail from Classic Performance Products this am. Mentioned they had a very good year business wise though
    obviously had employee challenges. I suspect the larger companies that draw from a wide range of years and that add
    newer vehicle age ranges to stay on top of the market are doing very well, those in smaller specialty markets are at a
    disadvantage. The death of the specialty magazines makes it harder for them to reach us, and the internet marketing
    takes dollars and expertise they cannot compete with. Yes the overseas source for much of the 1 800 buyer had many
    issues, but the flip side of it is the stimulus money combined with the lack of social opportunities gave many of us dollars to spend on our toys. I know my better half has been quiet about all I spent this past year as she has been unable to travel overseas, though that may be changing as the world opens up. She now wants to make a trip to Egypt.

fauj likes this.
  22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Anthony Myrick said, "SEMA makes a poor attempt at attracting the youth. Maybe the focus on multi-million dollar builds should be focused an a larger market."

I did the first SEMA "take a kid to a car show" ads that ran in all of the car books back in the early seventies. Been observing this industry for 60+ years and I'll bet that some of the failing companies were acquired in the past five years by Fortune 500 companies or stockholder groups. Too often, some MBA spotted a company (like Edlebrock) and figured with the proper management, they could double the profits. The bottom line is that these MBA's (with all due respect Ryan) miss the one thing that makes our business work: PASSION.

anthony myrick, fauj and Mr. Sinister like this.
  23. Fortunately, the COVID stuff didn't impact work, and if anything required more time for work. Also moved to a new house along the way with a monster garage, and while I want to be out there working, haven't had as much time as I had hoped... Trying to change that to a more positive time allotment as I can't retire just yet.

24. I'm in the less time camp. Why? Because 3 kids. Now that things are beginning to get back to normal the kids are getting back to all the actives that keep me from working, driving & doing car related stuff. During the "lockdown" I got my weeknights & weekends back instead of running kids around. It's good though.

continentaljohn likes this.
  25. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know wtf is going on in this hobby. I keep seeing crazy asking prices on cars in a market that some say is downsizing. Maybe the guys aging out are looking to cash in? I think the younger generations may dig our stuff but can't ever see themselves being able to afford these cars. Crazy housing prices and student debt are BIG issues for them. Perhaps as the market gets flooded and prices come down (yeah right) more people can afford to join the party. All I know is this is really the one hobby I have and don't expect that to change. I spend as much free time as possible on my cars. That is how it has always been and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. I will be waiting for that affordable '32 five window! ;)

John Starr and Mr. Sinister like this.
  26. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bingo!!!!
    and I would add that as good as it is to have a web site, there are a lot of them that are incomplete or have a 'representative photo' of an item....not an 'actual' one. I've made too many past purchases that didn't meet my needs.
    It's a hassle for everyone involved if that is the case. I am trying to make only informed purchases and it can be very difficult to do.
    Calls and emails will go unanswered, so what do you do? Move on to the vendor that has real data and responds.
    Maybe that is the reason that some do better than others and I will ALWAYS try to shop the mom and pop first.
    I intend to do more car related stuff, I enjoy it and the people I meet but I'm 26 years old trapped in a 69 year old body....

fauj, John Starr and Mr. Sinister like this.
  27. Our little area here is like an island in the high plains. Lots of things happen or don't happen here. Youth involvement in motorsports and the car hobby seems to be at an all time high. With all the forest we have pickups and 4x4s are HUGE among the younger crowd. The karting scene has exploded with 4 tracks within a couple hours and lots of boys AND girls racing. Yes, the import stuff is popular to a small extent. There are several HAMBers from here that have kids playing with cars. And, last summer when everything was cancelling around the country several towns had true grassroots, spontaneous cruise nights pop up. LOTS of families out enjoying the Blvd and CRUISING! I am talking numbers I have not seen since the 80s. Couple that with the amount of local car shows and it is mind boggling. It seems like there are multiple events every weekend. And frankly, that puts a smile on my face.

Phillips and fourspd2quad like this.
  28. I'm planning doing more car time, but also because in middle of a project vs just normal maintenance. Last year was an anomaly and this year is trying to get back to normal. That is good for our old car activities, since they are more focused around groups activities: cruises, swap meets, shows, club meetings.
    On the aspect of businesses and some doing great, vs some barely hanging in there. I don't think it is due to lack of customers or lack of market, that seems to be around similar levels. So it has to do with ability to adapt, which may mean they increase product lines to include non-HAMB vehicles and products. That does not mean abandoning the HAMB vehicle segment of the market. It means diversification of the business. Without the big shows and swap meets last year, it meant getting by with non-in person sales.
    I do understand the general consolidation going on in the aftermarket industry. It is part of that diversification. It also provides the ability to survive with several product lines and to some extent, a broader capital base to support the company overall. It is sad to see some of the older individual or family run businesses being sold and transferred. That knowledge and passion is being lost.

29. ras

ras

I'm in the more camp. The wife and I are settling in so hopefully that slows down the honey-dues. I've got a couple of grand-kids that might enjoy some shop time. What the hell I'll admit it, I'm an optimist.

continentaljohn likes this.
  30. John Starr

John Starr

Five years ago I became a father later than most (51). Among many other things fatherhood forced me to pull my head out of the sand (substitute "sand" for "ass" if ya like -- not far from the truth) and really look at the whole "kids these days" thing, and what that might/does/will/ mean for my boy, wife, my hobbies (plenty of other things in that list, too) and I.

The short version is I think economics are causing a cash-strapped generation, or two, to look elsewhere for their fun. And for an increasingly large demographic, a very pricey, space-intensive, skill-driven hobby like ours cannot compete with a smart phone that puts a massive, highly addictive world of distraction and entertainment in your pocket, everywhere you go.

A coworker buddy of mine in his mid twenties considered getting into the car hobby, but finally ditched the idea in favor of saving for a home and paying off his college debt. His hobbies - photography on Instagram and making YouTube videos - can be done on his phone. He also occasionally restores or collects vintage household electronics & cameras - far more affordable and approachable than restoring old cars.

I think also the internet is distancing some people from old tech.

Last week when Elon Musk hosted Saturday Night Live, there were plenty of younger fans of his wanting to watch it and joking on Twitter "Can somebody tell us how the hell do we watch live TV?" There’s some truth in that. Live TV is an increasingly rare thing in my household, too.

Meanwhile my kid explores my garage, plays with my tools, sits in my coupe and goes "vroom vroom!". Will the hobby catch on with him one day? As an old-fashioned hot rodding dad, I would like that. But that’s not for me to decide.

The real question is; will the hobby still be thriving when he is driving age?

For the industries and enthusiasts that depend on it surviving, I hope so.

But when you consider the reality that stock sports & muscle cars these days roll off the factory floor with gobs of horsepower and features, and super low maintenance electric cars will effortlessly smoke most of those... well, as the Dylan song says "the times they are a changin"...

ClarkH, raaf and winduptoy like this.