Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Guess that rim

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, May 9, 2021.

1. What I'm going to be looking for is a 16" x 5" rim, 5 on 5 bolt pattern that looks like a 40's Ford rim. I did find something that possibly fit the bill on eBay. Can anyone guess what application this is for or what I need to look for. I'm thinking '37-'48? GM product (Olds, Buick maybe Cad or Pontiac). I have some '39 Oldsmobile rims but they're 16" x 4", they look almost the same though.

1.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

That's a wheel ma man.
    The "rim" is the outer "ring"...that holds the tire.

A center (or hub and spokes) and a rim = a wheel.

Mike

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Normally a wheel with the extra holes like that is Buick. Chrysler looks similar but different bolt pattern.

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

5. It's a nod to the "fun" debates of the past here :D.

6. 52HardTop

52HardTop

It looks like GM, same as my 51 and 52 Chevy rims. 15" ?

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. clem

clem

Are you sure that it is 5 x 5 ?
    Looks a lot like the 16 x 5 Dodge/International I have, but not the same.
    Slots between rim and centre are smaller than Ford.
    There was a thread on here a few weeks back about Pontiac wheels that I think were 5 x 5”. ( I had always thought Pontiac were same stud pattern as Ford ).

Found this on another thread:
    from a long standing member- (Have no idea if it is correct)
    All Buick from 1930 on is 5 on 5 inch
    All Cadillac from 1930 on 5 on 5 inch
    All Oldsmobile from 1930 on 5 on 5 inch
    All Pontiac from 1930 on 5 on 5 inch

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and Texas Webb like this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you are absolutely sure it’s a 5” bolt circle that should narrow the possibilities.

Late ‘30s Buick, (‘36/‘40)…i.e. 1938 in particular, is one strong contender. Buick Special, Series 40, were 16”…Century, Series 60, were 15”. By 1941 models all the Buick wheels had the deep dish centers they are known for. @clem is correct about GM bolt pattern diameter, but I am not familiar with the Pontiac, Olds or Caddy wheel center design.

Also late ‘40s upper line Studebaker were 5 x 5” bolt circle, possibly pre-war cars were as well.

It sure looks like a Mopar wheel, but to the best of my knowledge they were either 5x4.5 or 5x5.5, depending on model.

Good luck with your search.

Ray

9. alchemy

alchemy

LOTS of people measure the bolt circle wrong when they do that cross the holes from edge to center thing. Don't believe them until you can measure it for yourself. I think the wheel in the pics doesn't look like a 5" pattern either, to my naked eye.

10. clem

clem

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

Not only are the BP measured incorrectly, the wheel diameter as well as the width are too.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Came on something with lug bolts instead of studs/nuts, the extra holes are for the locating pin, could be a Chrysler product or a Buick, although I agree with others, doesn't look like 5 on 5, I'd want to see a tape measure in the picture before I'd trust any of the dimensions.

chryslerfan55, Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. Yeah, I was having a hard time finding a 5 on 5 with those slots next to the clips. The only thing for sure is that they're 5" wide. I'll ask for more pictures with a tape measure in it.

It's advertised as a 16x5 5 on 5 bp. I thought they looked a little shorter then 16" and the b.p looks smaller then 5 on 5 (maybe 4.5).......but I though it might be me over thinking it at midnight :).

14. My guess with the locating pin is Buick or Chrysler product.

bolt circle measuring can be tricky to get accurate for most folks.

chryslerfan55 and Fortunateson like this.
  15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Not GM or Ford ... Possibly Mopar, although no modern Mopar used 5 on 5 pattern.
    Most likely one of the orphan makes, Packard or Hudson being my best guesses.

16. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Yep, not GM as I checked my rims in the garage this afternoon. Could those clips help narrow it down? They look like they would be taking a dog dish cap of some kind?

17. clem

clem

did you not open the links I posted above ?

or anyone else from post 12 onwards.......?

or am I wrong with what I posted ?

18. Yes, I did and it looks like "G" in the line up you posted. Says it's a Dodge/Mopar but has a 5 on 5 bolt pattern (5 x 114.3).

Looks like I'm back on track with the red wheel. It is a 16x5 and a 5 on 5 bolt pattern.........sooooo Chrysler????

19. clem

clem

^^^^^ So what stud pcd did Chrysler have ?

20. Mopar had the extra locating pin up thru the 50's - my 1956 Savoy had them. The center section Mopar used up into the 60's with the 4 1/2 bolt pattern like Ford. Could it be an early 50's Imperial wheel ? Later Imperial's starting about 1955 had the 5x5 1/2 like Ford trucks until 1967. Correct me if I'm wrong on the early Imperial .

21. clem

clem

yes, thanks, I actually know that, but OP is adamant that they are 5 on 5.

Whilst not a car expert, I have spent considerable time trying to find the type of wheel he pictured, except in a 16 x 4 - 16 x 4&1/2 or 15 x 4 - 15 x 4&1/2
    They fit a late model ford stud pattern and often take a ‘40s Ford hupcap which is a bonus
    Hard to find down here in NZ.
    Perhaps it time to start a wheel identification thread with stud patterns etc......

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Chrysler New Yorker and Imperials from around 1951 onward, and Dodge Station Wagons (thru ‘53) and DeSoto Station Wagons (thru ‘54 I believe) and the stretched 4 door limos and ‘Suburbans’ all had 5x5.5” bolt circles. All other Mopars of the era had 5 x 4.5” bolt circles.

I am with the others who would want to see photos showing a tape measure illustrating all the wheel dimensions, as has been stated, the numerous occasions where measurements were done incorrectly makes one skeptical.

Ray

chryslerfan55 and stillrunners like this.
  23. Here's from the site you posted.

15x5 dodge-1.png
    G: Dodge Mopar 15x5" has 5x114.3 PCD

24. Here's the pics I received. Which I'm guessing Mopar solely by the hole by the clips.
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    10.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  25. The first pic is hard to see the 16" mark, but you can clearly see the arrow for 12" and count from there.

clem likes this.
  26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, you technically can't call that a "wheel" either.
    Wheel
    NOUN;
    A circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to give a mechanical advantage and enables it to move easily over the ground.

In general, it would be the sum of ALL the parts (including a tire) that actually meets the definition of a wheel.

27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, I'm THAT guy...
    can-of-worms.jpg

28. clem

clem

Well definitely 5” pcd. And everything else you said.
    Thanks for confirming that.
    ( why do we doubt old car guys ? ):)

Hnstray likes this.
  29. Only thing I didn't have him measure was the center hole diameter. I'm thinking late 40's Dodge 1/2 truck WC ???.....finding conflicting info on bolt patterns.

Totally losing sleep over this stupid wheel :).

chryslerfan55 and stillrunners like this.

30. I always understood the 'outer ring' is called a 'hoop' or a 'shell', never a 'rim'. 'Rim' in my world is just another word for 'wheel'. For example 'cool rims man, when did ya get them?'