Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Low Pressure Fuel Regulator Recommendation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by imanut, May 10, 2021.

1. imanut

imanut

Hi everyone. Looking for a recommendation to replace my old Filt-o-reg regulator in my Model A. The diaphragm let go pouring fuel over the engine, I was lucky to just be moving it in the driveway when it happened. The Model A isnt quite traditional but it sits the same way as when my uncle built it in 1969. I would like to keep the same spirit of filter without burning the car to the ground. The filt-o-reg feeds 4 Webers on top of a Moon intake on a big block Chevy. The Webers only need 3psi of pressure. From looking around, the only regulator that has the same look and feel as the Filt-o-reg is a Mr Gasket one. I haven't held one in my hands, but it doesn't really appear to be a high quality item. Just looking to see what you guys are running and any positive (or negative) experiences. Thanks in advance.

2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Max Gearhead and Tman like this.
  3. [​IMG]

Holley 12-804
    Adjustable from 1 to 4 lbs. pressure. I've been using one of these for several years with no complaints. Does not have a filter though.

4. That is the one I have used. The Mr Gasket ones are junk.

5. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I use the RobbMc for my 8 x2bbl setup. Because it is capable of more flow than the little ones, yet still dials down to 3 psi for your Webers. I have gone 137 in the 1/4 using it to feed 8 holly 94's. It can be converted for dead-head or bypass. http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/regulator_dh.html

Tman likes this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I also installed one of these after having 2 of the Mr Gasket regulators fail on me, the 2nd time I was lucky it didn't catch fire, the engine was drenched in fuel and spraying up on the windshield. It left me stranded on the side of the road. Since I installed the Holley I've had no more problems. It maintains the pressure well, with no leaks.

I do like the looks of those Malpassi Filter Kings though, but note they put an input pressure limit of 10psi on them, which should be sufficient for most mechanical pumps, but you may want to measure what your pump is capable of.

Joe Travers and olscrounger like this.
  7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The Malpassi unit says it is good for 150 hp, probably due to the small size input and output fittings. I have an older one without the stepped fittings, that has regular 5/16" (8mm) sized ones.

But it should be fine for a Model A.

8. I used the Holley one, but it had another port in it, was able to plumb it to use as an elbow in the line that way. No issues with it, to date.

9. SPEC

SPEC

My Holley low pressure regulator is around 30 years old with no problems!

10. cs39ford

cs39ford

I have been using this same one for years. I would recommend it. Run my strombergs at 1 1/2 lbs. all 4

11. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Stay away from Mr. Gasket.
    A junk vendor bought a great name and smeared it into the ground.

Joe

Blues4U and Elcohaulic like this.
  12. Ditto on the Holley regulator. I plumbed a fuel pressure gauge after the regulator and it made it easy to check the pressure...

Blues4U likes this.
  13. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto.

I mounted one on the inside of the frame rail of my Model A, used it as an elbow, and ran a line to a fuel block with a pressure gauge. Can’t see the regulator.

John

Tman likes this.
  14. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

A typical dead head regulator is harder on the fuel pump than bypass type regulators like the Aeromotive.
    Pressure will vary with demand on dead head type also.

15. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

the mallipassi comes in two sizes they call the larger ones v8 application , super high quality and come in a whole bunch of configurations inlet outlet size thread barb and direction ,, just do some googling and ebaying to find em the one in the pic has a 4 bolt top the larger ones have 6 to help you identify ,,they also do something trick because of the large size diaphragm they absorb the palpitations of the fuel pump and inadvertently cause a smoother idle
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

16. imanut

imanut

Thank you for the insight. I appreciate the help!

17. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without a picture not sure of your current plumbing or look on your Webber setup, so this may not fit your situation. But member oj has been selling a Enderle fuel injection bypass set at 3 psi for low pressure carb applications. Comes with shims for 3.5 and 4 psi. The end connections are AN dash 6 and he will include either tube nuts or flare fittings of your choice. It tees in after the pump and returns to the tank or pump inlet. Not for everyone, but a nice setup.
    20210511_121903.jpg

Tman likes this.
  18. imanut

imanut

Cool, I will check that out as well. This is a quick photo of the setup. The Filt-o-Reg Regulator is the chrome circle in the middle as the line feeds the Webers. It is the model without a filter.

Attached Files:

Almostdone likes this.
  19. I have a device that says Fuel Level Controller on top of part. Bought at a swap meet years ago and never did anything with it. Looks to be well made with a clear glass “bowl” and a big brass float that controls the level of fuel in the unit. It is old but has never been installed on anything. $45 shipped CONUS. No PayPal,postal m.o. is best. Over 900 posts—no money games played here. John in s.Texas 979-595-7324 cell.If interest is shown, I can take some pics and reply. I wrote ad b4 taking pictures. 8A63697C-79A0-4DB9-A294-0C8B11A5C482.jpeg 883B9D40-6826-43EF-AE26-CAC797B0EBEE.jpeg 3FC79D9D-7EDC-4FC9-8C1C-F91C3272CCC4.jpeg

20. Took some pics of fuel level controller. Unit is about 6 inches tall and approx 2 1/2 in around. Just guessing sizes—don’t have tape measure handy.John in s.Texas 979-595-7324 cell. 3C3816C3-8CF1-41D6-B785-4BDA30D7EBB3.jpeg 3C4B4DB1-E65A-4F23-AD69-AD6EBEEE6D48.jpeg 0214A30E-34C0-43F5-BF6C-3D0095964D4E.jpeg D862A47A-EF59-4C4D-A729-7956AF286270.jpeg 0D8EC2F5-6C9C-4D36-BD69-CC1BB7EBADBD.jpeg

Beanscoot and clem like this.
  21. swifty

swifty

Maybe the replacement diaphragm for the Malpassi unit as posted by @Beanscoot could be used in your unit or even the one for the larger Malpassi would suit. May need to trim the OD and punch some new holes but you could keep the set-up as original.

clem likes this.
  22. clem

clem

So are you after a blocking regulator or a bi- pass one ?
    fwiw:
    I set up a Holley as shown, - didn’t work. (Possibly sent the 5-9lb version ?)Reviewed probably 100 posts on here, - 50% seemed to work, 50% seemed to rubbish them. - seem to work best with a return line was the general consensus.
    Bought a very expensive fuel lab, - dead head (blocking) one. For $245 NZ they managed to send me a bi-pass one, not what I ordered, which works well with a return line, teed into the fuel line before the pump, (messy plumbing) and not what I want.
    I now have the larger Malpassi one ready to go in as it is supposed to be a dead head (blocking) one. Bought from ‘weber specialities’ here in NZ, - probably the most ideal for your set up.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  23. wicarnut

wicarnut

I used the Holly one many recommended 7 years no problem, and the Mr Gasket one for 7 years on a different car again no problem, both have pressure gauge at carb. I would say the Holly is a better piece.

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

How is it harder on the pump?

Beanscoot likes this.
  25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Wow, if I lived in CONUS I would buy that in an instant. It isn't a pressure regulator, but it is cooler than any of those that I've ever seen.

[​IMG]