Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I'd put a squirt of motor oil or gear oil on those gears for assembly, no need for anything fancy.

Nice collection of machine parts there!

chryslerfan55, ottoman and J.Ukrop like this.
  2. Matthew H.

Matthew H.

Great thread, building my own ‘30, this gives me loads of inspiration. Only have a running chassis, in desperate need of a body!

J.Ukrop and winduptoy like this.
  3. Matthew H.

Matthew H.

Clean and simple! Looks great.

chryslerfan55, Six Ball and J.Ukrop like this.
  4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If such a thing existed, I'd run it! @Hitchhiker is searching his treasure trove for the chrome one. We'll see what we can find!

Great advice—I'll look into them!

Will do!

Thank you! I appreciate the advice.

Thank you for checking it out! This is definitely a learn-as-I-go project. I'll keep an eye out for deals on a coupe body. What part of the world are you in?

5. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your roadster. Welcome to driving and fixing old Fords.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's the weekend and I have a handful of updates! While I was up in Portland, I ventured north to Camas, Washington, to do a little bit of treasure hunting. I picked up some gems, but I especially liked this Silverton Safety League medallion from the 1930s. IMG_4922.jpg
    Moments after installing it, I started tearing things apart.
    IMG_4925.jpg
    Yes, the water on the ground is from the radiator.
    IMG_4928.jpg
    Unfortunately, the timing gear nut was chewed up pretty badly by the previous owner. I've spent the past two afternoons wrestling with it using a combination of Kroil, Liquid Wrench, an impact driver, a breaker bar, and a hammer and chisel. Despite my efforts, it's not budging.
    IMG_4936.jpg
    I'm keeping the gears in place using the method prescribed by Dan McEachern. IMG_4985.jpg
    Looks like my specialty tool wasn't up to the task. IMG_4984.jpg
    Next up, I'm going to order a new tool from one of the major suppliers and get my torch ready. This is shaping up to be quite the project, but I know we'll figure it out one way or another.

JalopyJimbo, catdad49, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That nut isn't left hand thread by any chance is it?

Six Ball and Crazy Steve like this.
  8. 97

definitely not.
    However here's something amusing that I saved a while ago

9. Road Angels

Road Angels

I am thinking a lot of crap went down into the pan..........lol

chryslerfan55, Hotrodmyk and 97 like this.
  10. 97

catdad49, Six Ball and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. 97

Yes that is the point I think, those guys cannot have thought it was good surely!

Stogy, Six Ball and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@97 both of those are good videos in their own ways. Thank you for the links.

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why it's all about the arm out the window isn't it?...:p.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some pretty crazy ass engineering went into products...as in torture for the mechanics...I many times say they should be made to undo what they created especially low profile nuts to get a taste of their creativity...good luck on that maybe a Big Johnson and a pipe extension and one pressing the socket/tool onto the nut or whatever that wonky looking thing is...fingers crossed for you...can you use an bigass impact gun on it?

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Although I wasn't really planning to do much on the car today, I wandered down to the garage just to see how things were looking. Well, that quickly turned into me working to get the cam nut off. I turned on the fan, broke out the torch and dove right in.
    IMG_5010.jpg
    After heating the nut for several minutes, I tried using that that cam nut tool. Again, it didn't work. Then I recalled a post on the H.A.M.B. about giving it a good hit with a hammer and chisel. I applied a little more Kroil, just for good measure. One hit. Nothing. Second hit. Wait a second. Did it just move? Yes!
    IMG_5011.jpg
    Like magic, the old nut came off and I cheered. Talk about a satisfying feeling. I can't wait to put a new one on there. Next, I applied some heat to the crank pulley nut, which came off with ease. In order to pull the cam gear, I had to drop the pan. It's amazing how a seemingly simple task soon turns into disassembling much of the engine!

With the pan off, it was exciting to see the inner workings of my powerplant. For a few minutes, I just laid on the garage floor looking at all the pieces: the crank, the rods, the pistons, the cam, the oil pump and more, all right there in front of me. It was a neat experience that I won't soon forget.

Anyways, I tried using my vintage Craftsman two-jaw puller to remove the timing gear, but it appears to be stripped. (I bought it used on eBay, so you never know what you're going to get.) Luckily, the local auto parts store had a more contemporary three-jaw puller for rent. I rode my motorcycle over there, and it wasn't long before I brought it back and removed the fiber gear.
    IMG_5014.jpg
    I'm accumulating quite the pile...
    IMG_5020.jpg
    Unfortunately, at the end of the evening, I hit a snag. Despite my best efforts searching online and in the Les Andrews book, I can't find any information about removing the crank gear. There's a Woodruff key that I can't seem to get out. I've tried heating up the shaft and the gear as well as tapping it with a screwdriver. Pliers don't seem to work and the Kroil and Liquid Wrench have no effect.

I'm wondering—can I just pull the gear without removing the key? Or is it necessary to do this task first? From what I can gather, the car is currently running an aftermarket gear. It's stamped 207AB and "Made in the U.S.A." It seems to be very runnable condition. IMG_5015.jpg
    That's all for now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm no A guru but if it's a straight through key and slot it should pull straight off but some key ways are like half circle groove in the shaft with a matched key and they slide up the key way creating a lock when pulling and the key might need to be tapped back with a pin punch to allow further pulling...I look forward to your experience...glad you got that other one off...the walk away for a moment method paid off...

I coincidentally was trying to remove a rear hub yesterday on my vintage lawn tractor and it was keyed...the half circle type...I gave up on it as I got my wheel off in plan b...the lug bolts...

catdad49, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  17. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

You cannot remove the key until the gear comes off the crank. No need to remove the key when installing the new gear. You will need a good 2 jaw puller to get the gear off with the crank in the block because there is not much of the back side of the gear accessable. Putting a clamp across the jaws will help to keep the jaws from slipping. Unless you have a good size torch, I doubt you will be able to put much heat into the gear without getting the crank too hot.
    You can heat the new gear up to about 350 degrees to help it go on easier, much more than that and you will begin to draw the hardness. If you turn the teeth blue color, you have overheated the gear- no more than a light straw color.

Nobey, Six Ball, Paul and 1 other person like this.
  18. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Gotta pull the gear first, it's slid onto the snout over the woodruff key

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  19. 97

You will need to clean up both the crank snout and the key to get that off and the new one on. ( Order a new key when you order the new cam nut.)The gear is a close sliding fit so without removing metal get all the crud off and polish the crank surface so that thing can slide. Use a small fine file on the sides of the key. It may take a couple of pry bars or a couple of small wedges to get the gear moving at first if you cannot get the puller behind it. Whatever you do be careful about pounding on the gear, remember the thrust bearing surfaces are white metal and any pounding will move the whole crank , with the load going through the thrusts. While the sump is off you could check bearing clearances and replace the cotter pins when you retorque .Wipe out any old oil and metal from the tray and the sump, make sure there are no holes in the oil troughs (tray) clean the oil pickup and check the pump clearances. make sure the drain tube at the rear main is clear and all the oil feeds from the timing chest are clear.
    Put new gaskets and rope seals in when you replace the sump..

Outback, catdad49, J.Ukrop and 4 others like this.
  20. 97

Oh yeah , as I said before NOW is the time to install that hot cam !:D:cool:

JalopyJimbo, Outback, ottoman and 3 others like this.
  21. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

getting that crank gear off will be just as much fun as the timing gear. There actually seams to be a slight interference fit between the gear and the crank. Mine was so tight i ended up slitting with a cut off blade in a hand grinder being carful not to grind the crank. I did have my pan off and on a engine stand so it was a little easier to deal with. I made a press fixture to push the new one one using the thread in the end of the crank instead of beating it on with a hammer.

catdad49, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  22. RodStRace

RodStRace

I have not done this exact job, but have done several more modern crank gears.
    97 seems to have covered all the bases with his post, but I'd also search for youtubes on this to make sure there isn't some quirk on these engines.
    I will add that these are almost all an interference fit (hole is at or slightly smaller than the shaft) so any gunk or burrs will increase the effort. Also, get GOOD replacements (woodruff key, anything else), there is a lot of cheap hardware out there that does NOT belong in a lawnmower, let alone a car.
    Rent or borrow a puller and installer for the gear.

catdad49, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What the others said. The gear will come off with the key in place. Pull them off, press them on. Use some heat to expand the gear but not the shaft. Clean & check everything. It'll be easier putting the big gear on the new hot cam before you have it in the engine. :rolleyes: You are this far why waste all this work and have it run the same? A good cam with your carb and header are the most change you can get for the investment. It gets complicated and expensive after this. A few thousands off the head and you're a real hot rodder! :D:cool:

24. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Seems like new cams are not available right now

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  25. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Do yourself a favor and go to either Goodwill or Savers and buy a used toaster oven. It’ll cost you about $10.00 and save you hundreds! I was a Steam Plant Mechanic before I started selling tools, we NEVER pressed anything on that was an interference fit. We used heat and cold to make it simple! When your crankshaft or camshaft is room temperature, just put your gear you want to install into the oven and heat it up to about 250 degrees. It won’t hurt it at all, it probably is hotter than that while running, but it will expand large enough that if you just wear heavy gloves and oil the shaft, you should be able to just slide it into place. I always had a 1” diameter x 8” long piece of hot roll steel (because it is softer than the parts) to be ready to tap what I was installing to be sure it was seated all the way. You could also use a brass drift, I just didn’t like the flaking you sometimes get with brass. This worked on bearings and seal sleeves for shafts as small as 1” all the way to 12” or larger. What wouldn’t fit in a oven we had magnetic induction bearing heaters. Use heat, it’s your friend.

mrspeedyt, Algoma56, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

There have to be some good cams laying around. I'm sure Joey's charm could bust one loose from somewhere.:)

Toaster oven is a good idea. Pounding the crank into the thrust bearings is not. Cam gears on Chevy fours and sixes are only held by the key and the fit, gears installed hot, until we start making higher rpm with more lift and big springs. Then we add a small screw. :rolleyes:

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always use the barbie for heating ring gears before installing them on a flywheel just out of the freezer. A toaster oven would be able to control the temp better than a barbie but the barbie is always an option.

Algoma56, catdad49, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  28. Nobey

Nobey

I would be very careful about any heat to the crank gear, remember you have a babbitt bearing right behind
    it, and it won't stand much heat before it melts. Like the guys have stated, use a good gear puller and it should
    come off. Some good advise on this thread....

29. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Off topic engine, but should apply here. Removing a timing gear from the injection pump on a Cummins diesel (4 cylinder "banger"). Tightened the puller as tight as I dared, AeroKroil penetrating oil, no movement. Used a heat gun (the same one you use for heat shrink tube) and applied heat. Highest temp setting, after a while, the extraction screw would turn a little, then came right off.

Outback, catdad49, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  30. Nobey

Nobey

Most heat guns range in temperatures between 200 to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit, the babbitt main reaches a plastic
    state at 415 degrees. These are poured mains in the model A's, thus the reason to be cautious with heat....