Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Oz members Windscreen help needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sandgroper, May 9, 2021.

1. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

IMG_1111.JPG Mainly aimed to Oz members. I'm in urgent need of a windscreen for the Simca Vedette. These were assembled in South Oz by Chrysler for 3 years 59 to 61 using imported and locally sourced parts.
    I can get a windscreen from pilkingtons UK but would cost me heaps as well as get here god knows when.
    I would imagine that back then with the state of the roads here that windscreens would have been moulded locally not imported.
    I have contacted as many of the niche windscreen mobs in Oz that I can find but none of them have the mould.
    I found a few second hand ones but are badly scratched. Have looked at lexen but scratches easily.
    Any help or suggestions would be great.
    Regards Paul.

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

3. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

You could try Flynn's wrecking yard in NSW.

A mate got a windshield for his 53 Buick convert through windscreens O'brien of all people, took two months

4. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Yep , one of the first. $4500 plus freight both ways. Custom make.
    Surely the moulds were here. Just need to find who has them.

5. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

I'll give Flynn a try. Tried all the big shops. They are not interested in importing one?????

6. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

ACL (?) the windscreen mob closed ages back, the moulds were probably dumped as the popular ones went to some guys in queensland who started making things at stupid prices, then they closed and someone else took over whatever moulds were left. Don't think Simca would be in the "popular" category, but if you can find the guys making classic windscreens in queensland that might be worth a try.

7. If someone here in europe would try to find one for you and ship it to you. Would that be an option? I'm in austria which is not the best place to find one because those cars were rare here.
    But in France it should be available.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

I think it was done through Shannon's he waited 2+ years with Woodsie's saying they had one on the way.

Getting one out of Europe would be pricey but possible. I shipped a XA-C Coupe windshield to the UK at my previous job

9. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Yep that was glass4classics, guess I will go back to trying to find a second hand one..
    Thanks.

10. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

300 pound for the screen and 500 pound freight :eek:
    Got a mate that works in France 3 months of the year, wonder what his luggage allowance is. Lol :p
    Trying not to bother Shannons but may have to.

11. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

I think freight is the killer, and I don't like to bother people.

12. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

I'm wondering now about Brazil? May be cheaper.