Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Roadtrip April 2022

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrland, May 4, 2021.

1. Hi guys and gals!

Me and my buddy Ludde is planing a new US-trip. We are planing a head so to speak. Will fly from Sweden to San Diego and then travel by car. The only thing we really know is that last stop before going back to Sweden is Voodoo-Larrys place. The trip will start in April 2022. Got no dates yet. Have to check witch event that will go on in April. And make the route from that. Any suggestions about shops, museeum, junkyards or other cool places to visit? Will properbly be driving around for 12-14 days or so.

Desoto291Hemi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Sounds like a good time. Can we assume you will be flying home from Chicago O'Hare?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Most likely

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Take time to stop in Lincoln Nebraska and check out Speedy Bills museum.

5. Back to the top.

Phil

Norrland likes this.
  6. 49Olds

49Olds

Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach - Any early Saturday morning

Norrland, chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  7. What route across the country will you stick to?

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Excellent suggestions above. There is several months worth of stuff to see. I'll toss out a few more suggestions.

The Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles (Petersen was the founder of Hot Rod Magazine) in Los Angles, CA
    https://www.petersen.org/

You will quickly run out of days. RT-66 would take you to Chicago. There is a recent thread that recommends skipping large sections of RT-66 that are congested city driving and have very little original buildings left standing. Interstate 40 has swallowed much of RT-66. And the weather gets colder the further north you go Read some of these threads. See these threads for suggestions on RT-66 guides. Some places-might not be open in April.

Note: The guides are harder to read when traveling to Chicago. My suggestions:

Side trip #1, Lake Havasu, AZ - London Bridge - Probably a few precious hours used up.

Just "escape" CA, via interstate through Barstow on to Needles. Pickup RT-66 in Toprock, AZ at Exit 1 off of I-40. Follow old Rt-66 through Oatman, Kingman, Hackberry, Peach Springs, Seligman and get returned to I-40.

NOTE: You are about 420 miles from the Peterson museum at this point. My old map program estimates about 7 hours - Add a couple of extra hours to get out of LA and what ever sight seeing time...

From here on, there are little bits of RT-66 wandering off of I-40.

Side trip #2 - The Grand Canyon - Plan a day - it is at 7,000 ft elevation, expect cold and possible snow. I-40 Exit-161 onto "Historic Route 66".

TIP: Use "Grand Canyon Village" on you favorite map program. The alternate destination is on the north rim, a much further longer trip and the roads could still have snow conditions.

A fast forward through AZ and NM. Note: Possible extreme weather variations. On a trip to Lead Ain't Dead (Dewey, OK). I left early to avoid 108 Fahrenheit in Safford AZ (Sept 8) and barely avoided a snow storm in Albuquerque, NM (Sept 10).

Side trip #3. West of Albequerque, NM
    20200908 winduptoy.jpg
    Lewis Antique Auto & Toy Museum - 905 Hwy 66, Moriarty, NM (west side of town) - It also "almost" meets tour junkyard requirement - acres of cars and trucks to wander through -not picked over and NOT FOR SALE.

That is @winduptoy 's A in the picture - You might want to consider returning to R-66 some where to the east (it parallels I-40).

On to the Texas Panhandle.

Side trip #4 - Cadillac Ranch - west of Amarillo, TX - Exit-60 - I drove past it many times, never stopped...

Side trip #5 - Big Texan Steak Ranch on the east side of Amarillo, TX, on Rt 66 - You can not miss the signs... Sort of touristy, but well done - I will eat there again and sleep in the motel again.

https://www.bigtexan.com/

It is home of the "Free 72oz Steak" See https://www.bigtexan.com/72-oz-steak/ . You put $72 on the table, finish everytbing in the picture in one hour, and get your $72 back. I'm 76 years old, I can't survive one of those green hot peppers. I order the smallest sirloin stake on the menu.

Side trip #6 - McLean, TX - McLean is the family name - my Aunt Dolly sent me a post card from there in 1951. Typical "Arm-pit-town". Started to die off in the 1950's when the railroads switched from steam to diesel propulsion. Water, coal, lubrication and other maintenance required by steam engines were no longer needed, the good railroad jobs were gone. Then I-40 bypassed the town, very little employment left.

East bound on I-40, Exit141 onto Old Route 66, drive through town and rejoin I-40 at Exit-143. This summarizes lots of the little leftover bits of RT-66.

Side trip #7 - Shamrock, TX
    20200909 Shamrock.jpg
    A little taste of home - my customized 1962 Volvo. Shamrock has preserved some history and is worth a little side trip.

I-40 Exit-161, return on Exit-164

Side trip #8 - The Darryl Starbird National Rod and Custom Car Hall of Fame Museum - East of Tulsa, in Afton, OK (Rt 66 runs thru Afton, but mot by the museum). Been there 3 times so far.

http://www.darrylstarbird.com/

Russ McLean

10. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Sounds like an awesome trip. I have some suggestions for car stuff and non-car stuff. In California, there is so much, you could spend a month there. In San Diego, a half a day touring the maritime museum and aircraft carrier Midway is awesome. In LA, you have to do the tour at the Nethercutt Collection in Sylmar. Email them and make a free reservation for the guided tour. Not the self guided. I guarantee, this will be one of the highlights of your trip. Also, an hour at the Justice Brothers museum. On the way north, You have to see the Grand Canyon at sunrise. Or anytime. But for a quick in and out, sunrise is best. Winslow and Holbrook AZ are great route 66 towns. Check out the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook. Yes on the Speedway museum. Of course search the web and find the schedule for the World of Outlaws sprint car racing schedule. It's one of the very greatest shows on wheels. 900 horsepower in 86" wheelbase 1400 lb cars on a dirt oval at up to 150 mph!
    I'm not sure if they have this in Sweden, but around here there are gun ranges where you can rent a full auto machine gun and make a lot of noise. Fun, and great photo ops.
    If you do stop in Minnesota, I'm up for a visit.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and pprather like this.
  11. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

Volo museum,Gilmore collection of various museums and klairmont collection are definitely worth a visit.

Hemi Joel likes this.
  12. Lil32

Lil32

have seen all those except the sprintcars
    Nethercutt is great especially the guided tour
    DSCN2787.JPG

13. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Big Texan "Free steak" Firs part of the YouTube video.
    Finnegan's Garage Ep.64:Dude Tries the 72oz Steak Challenge

14. Was there in September 2019

15. Dont know yet. Depends on what things and places in the thing you tips us about?

Tman likes this.
  16. Sounds delicius. But we will properbly have to sit on the can for the rest of the trip?

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  17. TrailerTrashToo and pprather like this.
  18. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are near Tulsa Oklahoma, check out this place. buckatomson66.com
    buck atoms.jpg

Attached Files:

Norrland likes this.