Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The rising prices of 33 34 Coupes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by panhead_pete, May 6, 2021.

1. Couldn't find or afford a 33 or 34 3 window ford , but I did find this 33 chev 3 window .A third of the price of a ford 3 window at the time . 20150811_215444.jpg

2. 34Larry

34Larry

Mine came to live with me in November of 1995. It was a driver that was in the local Trader, steel, 302, four speed, no rust at all, it had been a go/show '34 the majority of its 61 yrs. Price before negotiating...........$20,000. I was able to get it down to $17,000. Twenty two years later, (2017) I drove it around the block, and found out the HAMB would not allow it on the website, it being non-traditional, OT, because it has/had early 60's Jaguar IFS/IRS.
    Being honest I guess I currently have close to 30K in it, all the work was done by me and a very close car guru neighbor. I do appreciate that the site allows my Avatar anyway. I consider it "money in the bank" for my wife for that time when I'm not here to steer it around the local roads. There is a lot to the story which is on the web site, Kustomrama, just google "Jerry Bergs 1934 Ford Coupe, and you can see for your self what a mess I made out of it.

At purchase it was in total black primer, including painting of the entire interior. The center crossmember was completely gone, with the four speed tail shaft just waving in the wind, power windows that blew the fuse the second you touched either switch. A sick 302 and four speed.
    Only one bad cancer spot right under the trunk handle in the sheet metal underneath. The third owner was a show promoter and adapted countless "fads" of the times to it for the show circuit including a complete, fenders and hood tilt front end. In doing so he also tipped the radiator, which required a very long hose back to the hemi, (blown at times), which he coiled up under the hood like a diamond back, which dwarfed the little 302 in appearance. The 302, four speed, swing pedals and jag master cylinder all left the shop on the next garbage truck out of town.
    I consider the suspension a plus as it is completely chromed & put in the car by Russ Meeks of AMBR winner fame. I'm the 6th caretaker of it, counting the original owners. I have been beaten severely about the head and shoulders, (verbally), for not recreating it in its hot rod guise of he mid 50's and 60's, but the transformation to fendrless was well on its way with extensive frame mods, the fenders, and running boards were gone when discovering it had been the Northern Star.

It lives again with a Hemi (Chrysler 331, Tourqueflite), lot of love and care and it gets anything it demands of me. I'm of the opinion that in my ignorant exuberance to build a Bonneville look-a-like hiboy for the street, I just might have saved it. Its my understanding that it having dual headlights on each fender and havimg a reputation of being a problem, (blower intake gasket) at the times, and it being purple, it had been for sale for quite sometime in the area, with the owner at times even trailering it to Canada and Portland for prospective buyers to see, with having to bring it right back.
    Would I do it this way again? Well I really like what its become and owing and driving someone else's
    ideas and creation doesn't appeal to me, but maybe for hot rod history sake,......................NO.

3. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Couldn't afford one now, bought this around 17 or 18 years ago. It was pretty bent up. I know people on here have started with worse but they are a lot smarter than me. It sat in the back of my shop for almost 10 years before I started on it. Got to drive it on the road for the first time last week it's a blast and worth every minute, every penny and all the heartache. Just got to finish up a couple jobs inside and away we go. IMG-20210412-WA0003.jpg [ATT IMG-20210412-WA0015.jpg

coupe33, Tim, williebill and 12 others like this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Then you definitely paid too much.Old guys are bringing a pretty penny on ebay.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  5. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I bought in early with an "80s" street rod project. Came with lots of OT parts , missing it's hinges' mustang II front end. On and on. All that crap had to go. That was 2012 and I'm still not done. I have to take exception to one thing though, the 34 factory chrome grill aint like buying Model A grills. SC20131012-063737~2.jpg 20200514_192801~2.jpg

Tim, williebill, 31hotrodguy and 8 others like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's odd, since I turned into an old guy, the wife says I ain't worth shit.:(

7. Another alternative to the Fords which would make a cool cruiser. 34 Poncho, local for 8500.

[​IMG]

8. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Going Up And Always Out Of My Reach...Just Normal... 45252_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Do they have a buttload of wood in them? The scallops on the rear fenders is tits! I have never noticed that detail.

Tman likes this.
  10. About like a Chevy, but the stuff in this one is good enough for patterns or more with epoxy stabilizer.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  11. yeah they would jump in value after grandpa sold the last one he had. Had a 5 window and then a 3 window. Both were unchopped cars, which is how I prefer 33/34 coupes and pickups. The 33-34 pick ups as well have come up in price as well as the bigger trucks since the cabs, hoods and grilles can be reused to make a pickup. I could not replace my 33 pickup if I tried to, so no intention of letting it go.

12. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing Delivery.Did the late Don Thelan have a hand in this car? Memory fade..

LOU WELLS and panhead_pete like this.
  13. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

14. Gilbybarr

Gilbybarr

My '34 is getting closer to paint.....frame all set up and torn down for prime and paint. Body has been all lined up and smoothed out. Going with steel wheels and caps for now....can always go with fancier wheels later. I should see the first spray out of sample colors this evening when we visit with my buddy who is doing the build. Looking at a gray green or grayish blue/green. Show Me body with a Pete and Jake's frame/suspension. Few pics...

Attached Files:

15. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Something happened....mine wasn’t cheaper and it’s missing a roof

FLiP 389D3D1C-8A7D-41DA-AA3D-A0A578486E4F.jpg

@eights_aces_flip on instagram
    eightsandacestattoo on Facebook

16. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I honestly think the price on these is alot firmer than 32 shit, mainly because not everyone and their brother are building them, parts are scarce. Where as the 32 you can buy just about everything aftermarket and many do.
    The traditional unchopped cars and getting harder to come by. I think from the time the Eliminator coupe hit the streets, till now, the prices soared bigtime and stayed there. They also have always been a main staple for land speed cars through the years anyways. Id love to have one myself, just out of my price range till I build and sell a few more cars...

31hotrodguy and panhead_pete like this.
  17. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

Makes Lazze s sheet metal course worthwhile,,, I was booked in late last year to come over and learn from the best but COVID killed that idea! , in the hope of helping transform my roadster,,, Guess I’ll have to wait or just collect the rest of the ragtop bits,,, IMG_2494.JPG

48fordnut, John Starr, mvee33 and 3 others like this.
  18. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

To me a 33-34 coupe needs to be chopped and hard to appeal to me but a open car is just sexy with beautiful lines. Dress them all in black,black and black it becomes sinister and great looking years

31hotrodguy likes this.
  19. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Jonneville do you have any pics of your chassis setup?

20. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

I like your car. Much better than a high dollar street rod with 10 thousand paint and that much in chrome.

21. Thanks, Ron. I'd like a little more chrome on the suspension but I'm a believer in Hydrogen embrittlement. I'll stay with paint and a little powder coating.

bowlingball and 31hotrodguy like this.
  22. John Starr

John Starr

One expensive little bike, but I like it as-is — even with that banged-up, smelly ‘34 parked next to it. :eek::p

AA8D1F66-4D6B-42C4-8009-C158DFAF2A81.jpeg

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  23. the-rodster

the-rodster

John Starr and Happydaze like this.
  24. stpaulsdealmaker

stpaulsdealmaker

IMG_6838 (2).JPG 1934 night moves.jpg I bought mine about 4 years ago it had been setting for 21 years but inside a nice building but of course had to change everything to get it running. I like it now ,it had 70s style chrome mags and I put the wide whites on it and then changed them last winter to the black steelies and lowered it down a little , needs View attachment 5065883 View attachment 5065883 View attachment 5065883 interior as it has bucket seats that i would like to change.Bought this 32 in the winter , hopefully it will be black with steelies by the end of next winter, "SORRY PICS ARE OUT OF ORDER" 1934 3 window.JPG View attachment 5065883 View attachment 5065883

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

A few yrs back I traded a cobbled together Model T plus $800 for my 34 frame, title plus a few parts. After a few yrs I have collected most of the parts to mock up the chassis. In fact the old dropped axle is at Oklahoma Joe’s Speed Shop getting some love as we speak. Now I just need a body, grille, garnish mouldings etc. lol. IMG_0013.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

adam401, CC-Mo and Desoto291Hemi like this.