Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How about some love for the T-Bucket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 9, 2021.

1. Many hot rodders started out with a T-Bucket and I recall a time when I attended shows where half of the cars there were T-buckets, over the years as family's increased in size the need for more room saw many of them be parked and gather dust.

There has always been some that didn't abandon their beloved T' s for the more comfortable and rain proof enclosed cars, Dana Barlow comes to mind but there certainly are others. Springfield, Illinois.

There seems to be a resurgence in the traditional building styled T bucket and there is no denying the importance the T-Bucket has played in hot rodding throughout the years. HRP

Here is a video of T-Bucket's in Springfield, Illinois.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    deadbeat, Outback, tommyd and 15 others like this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I always liked T-buckets, I helped build a few for others over the years. My own hot rod,I built in 1959 an still have, very often is called a "T-bucket". I don't mind that,it dose have a T-bucket look. My hot rod is really a bobtailed *1928 Model A Roadster. With very T-bucket influence,some from Norm's Cookie Car,an other rods in the mag.s in the mid 1950s when I was dreamimg up my own hot rod. Bobtail 28 roadster DB's.jpg
    Drove my 28 to high school 60 to 62.Miami Sr High.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Just last week I talked to the new neighbor at the house I have in LA and he asked about where to buy a T Bucket and chassis parts. He's a really nice young guy who seems to have his sh!t together. I suggested that he save his money and try to buy an old T bucket that was already titled since it's so hard to title special constructions in California. He really hadn't thought of that. I told him I would be available to help him any way I can, including going to look at candidates. I think we may have another young hot rodder joining the ranks soon, he's pretty stoked.

4. Good man, helping a newcomer getting his feet wet in a hobby we all love. HRP

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

keep in mind that fat tired, fad t buckets are a 70's thing and off topic here... 65 and older build styles please

6. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I started building my T when I was 13 years old, I sold it a few years ago I just am not a flexible now as I was then.

[​IMG]

7. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Built one years ago, practical? Not really, fun to drive? Hell yes

wicarnut, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  8. Heck, even Clint Eastwood thought they were cool back in the day. HRP

[​IMG]

9. lake_harley

lake_harley

Interesting video. No two alike, that's for sure. Even one in camouflage!:D

Long live T Buckets...Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Lynn

wicarnut, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 5 others like this.
  10. Vintage BIRD Automotive T roadster advertisement. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

12. I have always loved T buckets ever since I was a kid. Simple honest hot rods. They just look like pure fun.:D

13. Driver50x

Driver50x

I was shooting for an early 1960’s look when I built mine a few years ago. This thing is an absolute blast to drive. I drive it almost daily when I am at home. I built it from the ground up, in a one car garage with a dirt floor. I plan on driving it from Florida up to Michigan and back in a couple of months.

A8A48126-1066-4EC4-BCC6-5348FAF59353.jpeg

14. Just sold my T about a month ago. Very fun to drive but hard on my back... 20210224_152116.jpg

15. nobux

nobux

I posted a picture of mine in the Torq Thrust thread, but here it is again. Totally impractical, but totally fun! 44112936_10215035998271666_697465064956887040_n.jpg

duecesteve, deadbeat, pirate and 29 others like this.
  16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Say what you like , this is a great looking car !
    Royal shifters car is an other !
    Tommy Ivo's is another !

Deuces, 3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 3 others like this.
  17. How about this from back in the day in Australia. Swifty here on the HAMB still owns it. Folk lore says it may have been the first Hot Rod down under. [​IMG]

18. Swifty Today![​IMG]
    [​IMG] The T now!

19. Very cool, thanks Mark. HRP

Deuces, fegsta, swifty and 3 others like this.
  20. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

I was building a T-bucket back in 1965/6, plans/ ideas from CarCraft magazine. Built a 2x4 steel frame, I used model A front end, split wishbone, axel spring suicide style, Chevy rear end with a T spring, split wishbones, Speedway fiberglass body. Had purchased a 57 chevy 283 with power glide and rear for the drive line. Got it to be a roller with many details missing yet and sold it pretty for good money at that time to pay for my first daughters( next month 55 years old) baby doctor and the hospital bill. No insurance. I had pictures of this T and other of cars back in the day, my Ahole nephew helped himself to these and other old family racing pictures when my Mother passed, back then I never thought much about pictures and thankfully he did not take everything so I found some to post in my albums. I like T buckets, a Hot Rod for sure IMO. My first finished prewar rod was a 29 Highboy roadster, then a 32 3 window, my koolest Hot Rod. Again HotRodPrimer wakes up a old and good memory for me to share. Thanks ! Buddy

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

T Bucket T Bucket T Bucket T...

Good power/weight ratio.

I'll be very tempted to build one if I can find a good body. Maybe a Dodge just to be different. A "D bucket".

They are small, though. A couple additional inches of legroom would be good. Especially if the seat is way low. I sometimes wonder if extending the cowl and moving the firewall forward could work.

23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

93718D70-A360-4058-B45F-37DADD8D6290.jpeg

The late Bob McCoy did this art for me years ago. Like many here, driving a T is a pain in the back. Had my seats redone with a built in lumbar support. Fun to drive again!

Tman, raven, wicarnut and 10 others like this.
  24. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Popular Enough For A Tune..... hqdefault.jpg

25. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I wish I could find a cheap fiberglass body close by, if so I'd build one.

Slowly just started to gather a few parts here and there for one someday. Got a old mustang 8 inch, picked up stands and headlights.

I'd have a frame built already but don't know what engine or wheelbase I'll run yet.

Honestly would love to get a ford 302 and add some compression and a good old school solid lifter cam.

So now I need a body and a 302 !!

26. lake_harley

lake_harley

Taste and preferences vary, of course, but to me the proportion and stance of the T in this Bird Automotive ad are on the money. Nice stance and just a nice, simple, basic hot rod. With some scrounging and fabrication ability I'd say that it could be built today for $5000-7000.

Lynn

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  27. Check out Speedway Motors, T body for $599 is pretty reasonable in this day and time. HRP

[​IMG]

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...T-Roadster-T-Bucket-Fiberglass-Body,1421.html

28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Cromwell manufacturing , Paynesville minn. $350 for a T body.

Tman, wicarnut, Deuces and 3 others like this.