Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Be Careful Out There

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Joker, May 7, 2021.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just saw online 20210507_205101.jpg 20210507_205214.jpg

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Elcohaulic like this.
  2. Fxxking distracted driver likely!:mad:

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The truck shown in the photo actually stopped his truck behind him to protect the car and driver.

4. cfmvw

cfmvw

Those cars are pretty rugged, must have been a really hard collision to do that much damage. Glad he is ok, really hope they track down the hit-and-run driver.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I always have at least two car lengths away from the car in front of me..

I've never seen so many bad drivers as I see today. I think its because kids don't play with wagons, home made go carts, tricycles and other drive-able toys.. Too much electronics...

6. ................I was always taught to maintain at minimum, one car length for every 10 mph. In other words, if you are doing 60 you should be back at least 6 car lengths from the car in front of you.

Cosmo49, Chris Nantus, piker and 17 others like this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After seeing that picture, even this doesn't seem like enough. 120 feet when you're doing 88 FPS is less than 1.5 seconds. Look at the cows on the side of the road, glance at the GPS, or respond to someone riding with you and you're out of time. Seems like driving is a full time task. I think most people saw it that way in the past, but with all of the creature comforts modern vehicles provide, it's not anymore.

With the latest advances in crash avoidance systems, it seems like they are trying to take care of that as well.

8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

That's a good way to do this..

9. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Nothing ruins my day quicker and somebody tailgating the s*** out of me while I'm enjoying my ride.

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

Modern cars and trucks are built roll caged race cars, the plastic and tin is sacrificial. Vintage vehicles crumple badly when hit.
    There many wrecks on crowded hiways, this one made the news because it's an 82 year old driver in a 50's car...
    It's a shame, best to avoid freeway mayhem....

11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I pull over and let them pass, almost every time I get a thank you...

I picture them having 5 kids at home, a sick wife, there late for work with a real jaggoff for a boss or one of the kids just got rushed to the hospital.. Then they see me in a classic car enjoying the day..

12. Young drivers have grown up in a world of radial tires, disc brakes, anti-lock brakes, traction control, precise rack and pinion steering. Us older folks (myself included) grew up driving with bias-ply tires, drum brakes, worm and sector steering, no air bags, un-padded dashes and on and on. This gives the youngsters a false sense of security...........and don't get me started on cell phones!:mad:

13. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The thing about cell phones is there really not dangerous if you have Bluetooth connected and not holding the phone. I have no trouble driving and talking to a passenger, it's the same thing with a hands free cell phone and talking to a family member.. Its when they do Facebook or play games while driving.

14. mickeyc

mickeyc

Around here (New Orleans area) if your six car lengths back, 3 cars or more will cut into that much space!

15. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I was in a "hit and run" event while I was driving my 59 Studebaker, 2dr. wagon a few years back.
    I was rear ended by a girl on the phone in moderate traffic. I pulled to the side of the road, she didn't..!
    The only good part of the happening, my trailer hitch receiver left a big square hole in the plastic bumper cover on her car..!

I was able to fix my car without too much money or work.

Mike

17. SlamIam

SlamIam

I always use the 10mph/car length rule myself, and I leave more room if I'm following a car I know has a shorter stopping distance than mine - I've been hit from behind 3 times, all when working in the SF Bay area, traffic slowed suddenly and drivers behind me weren't paying attention - every time they were looking down and not at the road, saw them coming in my mirror, left extra room in front of me, relaxed against the headrest, let up on the brake, took the impact - the worst crushed the rear of my lovingly maintained 70 BMW 2002, when he got out of his truck he looked at it and said good thing its just an old car - good thing there was an officer stopping so I could restrain myself from physically reacting to that comment - I look real hard at the driver behind me these days, and if I see any clue of distraction, I slow down and let them go by or pull off and let them endanger someone else - I have too many hours in my F1 to let some flake hit it

18. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Distracted drivers are nothing new, I remember seeing people commuting in the 80's reading the newspaper, putting on makeup etc. in bumper to bumper traffic. Darwinism is a very slow process.

19. Do you know that WE as driver's alway's blame something on
    the way we Drive
    I remember when C.B. Radios were the Rage, now it.s cell
    Phone's
    I don't like being Tail Gaiting a friend of mind
    tole me when a Car
    Does that, put on your 4 way Flasher's they will back off
    because they don't know what you are doing.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

remember, when younger, how you bitched about grey haired drivers that drove you nuts because they went too slow and followed the rules - now you are them -

21. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

A new 'driving procedure' I've been noting around here.
    Dipshit merges onto the freeway doing 30MPH increases speed maybe up to 40MPH, gets to merge point and starts to brake.

I have been using the shoulder quite a lot as of late to get around these clowns.

6-bangertim, Hnstray, hotrodA and 3 others like this.
  22. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

That's the first thing I told a Virginia state trooper when he pulled me over for doing 70 in a 55 . I told him I'm not some old senior citizen that backs traffic up for a mile. He let me go

23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

For gauging following distance(s), you could use the 4 second rule. Pick a visual spot, count to 4(One thousand one, one thousand two, etc), & if you cross that visual spot at 4 seconds, you're doing well. Adjust as needed. Works out easier than guesstimating car lengths, proportionally increases distance as speed changes. & always stop far enough behind the car in front of you, so's that you can see the bottoms of their rear tires. Gives you space to pull around them if needed, also "cushion" if you get rearended. Some things I'd learned years ago from the Smith School of Driving Techniques, taught for piloting city buses. Actually works. :) . FWIW.
    Marcus...

24. Dash cam ...

I've caught two accidents on my cam (I wasn't involved in either one). They are dirt cheap now and can be mounted inconspicuously.

25. Deuces

Deuces

There's a reason why I don't take the freeway going into work or back home.... It's because of idiots behind the wheel of thier car er truck.... And I own a pretty fast car....:rolleyes:

26. cfmvw

cfmvw

Comedian Steven Wright said he once got pulled over for speeding, and the police officer asked, "Didn't you know that the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?". Steven replied, "I know, but I wasn't going to be out that long."

27. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I then started to tell him in my Studebaker you can feel the speed but these new cars you can't feel it ,I went on to tell him that my nephew just took the Lieutenant's exam and how proud we were at him and we knew he was going to pass. I think he had enough of me that's why he let me go . Crazy old man.

28. That is the number ONE thing I hate, f*%cking tailgaters.

29. SlamIam

SlamIam

I've been pulled over more than once in town for no seatbelt - I put the belt on, thank them for the advice, and always get a smile out of the officer when I tell him cars didn't have seatbelts for the first half of my life.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.