Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another Hole in the Head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, May 6, 2021.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not sure. Of all the years messing with 55's and 56's and knowing them very well I've never needed to know that much about 57's because I never had one. I'll get around to researching soon enough. Hell, I haven't even looked at the trim tag other than to confirm body color to see if two tone was factory or dealer applied.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

loudbang likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

alfin32 and Johnny Gee like this.
  4. Wait a damn minute! Ain't you one of those that gave me shit about not having a 4 speed? :p

mad mikey and Johnny Gee like this.
  5. You need to take that out to a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha, so you can hear the engine moan out a one note song. Bob Seger played the Centennial celebration in our town, circa 1973, being only 11, I wasn’t there, but apparently they booed that hippy off the stage. In retrospect likely not one of our finest moments, oh well- turn the page!

High test 63 and Johnny Gee like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Uh, I'm right here ya know!

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I recall the thread but DDDenny helped with my alzheimer moment. The 4 speed is in the avatar car. I'm enjoying the push and go of the Turbo Glide at the moment. Also I hate saying it. Pushing 3 pedals as the years go by is leaving it's mark on me. I swore I'd never say that but time happens.

8. v8flat44

v8flat44

As a mostly Ford guy...i prefer 55 & 56 Chevys .. but.. THAT IS NICE ! Love the color too, good for you.

loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  9. Yeah i see ya :p

10. Some cars were meant to have a 4 speed, some were not. Completely my opinion, but some cars are just fine to put in D and kick back. Couple if my buddy's are trying to get me to put an overdrive in my wagon but I like the 350th, it's like having a jake brake on a curvy road lol.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  11. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

If I remember correctly the 57 turbo glide block was quite different as it had a block mounted starter and the spacer/ adapter ring found on regular P/G blocks was cast into the T/G block as one piece, possibly more differences I haven't thought of. Of course the shift pattern was very different PRNDL vs The PLNDR for P/G. Ralphie

Johnny Gee and loudbang like this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Early 57 Turbo Glide P R N D Hr - Hill Retard unfortunately drivers miss took Hr to mean high range. Transmission didn't like that. Chevy then went to Gr - Grade Retard. [​IMG] [/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

loudbang and Ralphies54 like this.
  13. OH DAMN! That looks like a sweet ride Johnny. I have always wanted one since I was a kid. Congrats and enjoy.:)

loudbang, Johnny Gee and chevy57dude like this.
  14. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

It's been 50 years, the mind forgets

loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  15. That's so offensive, i think I'd know that I was on a hill.... pffff :rolleyes::D

chevy57dude likes this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Lol. It was OK back then to do so.
    [​IMG]

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

Beautiful car, needs nothing in my opinion. I've always wanted to drive a Turboglide car, they are a fascinating piece of engineering, they're kind-of the first CVT. I've heard they're beautifully smooth when used and maintained properly. I love my own '57 210 2 door sedan but I'd swap it for that one in a heartbeat.

Johnny Gee and loudbang like this.
  18. RT468

RT468

I don't know man,this is one of the few thread titles I'd say is misleading yet in a good way. No matter what way you decide to go that car seems like a solid beginning whether it's just a few mods to personalize or you decide to perform a complete redo. In my mind "Another hole in the head " is what I do which is commit to a completely needed frame off project that should be parted or scrapped and most likely abort midway. Opinions vary and pics can be misrepresent things but I'd say you did well.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I hear ya. My avatar was a project but that was a different time when parts were not considered gold. But then, these cars are considered gold as well today. I sure as hell didn't pay market value and sure as hell don't have to do anything to this one. So I guess I can remove my finger from my temple.

51pontiac and loudbang like this.
  20. If & When you go with a Powerglide try and get one with the
    front & Rear pump..! its the Better one.
    Nice ...............210................... and Great Colors

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

loudbang likes this.