Register now to get rid of these ads!

No More Free Craftsman Tool Replacement!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadhero, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just got some replacement sockets last week. in my field i look at it this way, if you use your tool everyday (and beat on it) then get one off the truck (snap-on, matco, cornwell), if you don't use it a lot and can't put a lot of torque on it then craftsman is ok. i have gotten a bunch of tools off of evilbay to save from the high truck prices.

2. So where is this flatheadhero guy who started this bogus thread. Come out, come out wherever you are! This is how rumors continue to spread.

3. taskforceranger506

taskforceranger506

IN THE RUMOR MILL.............:cool:

4. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

People need to stop crying about unions.

5. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

i would just like back up what was said before.tools do not make the mechanic.i know of several people that have fancy tool boxes,and tools.half to 3/4"s have never been used.seriously never.i hate going over to someones place,and use there nice tools cause i cant put a hammer to them.all my tools are beat to shit.maybe i dont use them the right way.i just use them my way.
    eric

6. union bashing will get a thread locked faster than anything else. Except maybe ranting about Boyd Coddington. I found out the hard way when I posted a thread about some seats I saw in a non-union store that reminded me a lot of what they put in some of the crazy show customs back in the 60's (the all show cars that a lot of didn't even run).

In any case I think that it's been proven the initial post is just a rumor pretty well - they'd be crazy to kill the warranty when so many other places have copied it and have competitive prices on their tools.

7. Cruiser

Cruiser

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I'll be damned here comes the super shit heads of Kmart. Craftsman tools were always the best blue collar tools out there. They were the next best in quilty and price after the expanse Snap-on and Max tools.
    I guess, the can of wrenches I was going to take back will make good paper weights.

Cruiser 49:eek:

8. I recently bought an air sander/grinder from SEARS.
    I hooked it up and noticed it would not develop the RPM it needed to work well.
    I returned it in Quincy Illinois at the Sears store there. They credited me the full amount- I bought a set of the Professional Wrenches[full polish] they sell instead......I will have to check this out ,as I have quite a few older Craftsman tools ,that I have bought over the years.....

9. Cruiser

Cruiser

The tools at Harbor fright are made in China and Taiwan. The wood Jap is a poor choice of words to use. We have a lot of Japanese Americans who love hot rods and kustoms just like you and its not fair to them to use this word.

Cruise 49:cool:

10. My dad had OLD Craftsman tools that were as good as anything off a truck. My first set was Craftsman (cause they were the only ones selling sets at the time), and they were OK. When I worked at shops I replaced them slowly with truck tools "just because". I recently bought my son a Craftsman starter set, and they were junk...pitted forgings, bad chrome, etc. Other than the end wrenches, I think Harbor Freight Professional is as good for a lot less.

So if they do cancel the lifetime warranty I wouldn't be surprised, and I wouldn't blame the swap meet "recyclers". Blame entropy...

11. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

sears is not placing any warranties on SEARS tools they have SEARS brand and Craftsman brand side by side .If it says Sears and you brake it then its just junk if its a Craftsman you will get a free replacement or a rebuild kit in the case of ratchets.Both S.K and Snap on have only offered to rebuild ratchets for me in the past year.New guts in my ratchets are just as good as a new tool and my ID marks are already in place.Western Auto also deals in Craftsman for those who don't know this they were owned by Sears.Lots of folks don't know about the sears brand and when they try to swap something go around saying that the Craftsman guarantee is over.I had a real young stock girl point out the sears brand to me while i was picking up some tools noticing i had a bunch of craftsman and 1 sears tool in my wagon.this is how I found out about the warrentee policy.bye the way try to get parts or info like owners manuals for a tool just a couple years old from Mac or Snap-on I own 2 mig welders one a mac 110 one a Snap on I have tried dealers in my state and just over the boarder and given the brush off by 4 different dealers

12. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

I followed up on the Craftsman guarantee, and it still is valid. My brother basically was told this bullshit last week by a retard manning the tool counter that he could not return a tool. He told me today that he did get a new tool, after some choice words and phone calls, and that the corporate office was going to "re-train" the tool dept puppets. Seems they cant tell the difference between "Craftsman" and "Sears" tools because they cant read. Anyway, Im glad this is a case of lack of training and not a total phase out of the guarantee. Plus there is a serious case of miscommunication between the Sears stores, they all say different things. Sorry to get everyones balls in an uproar.

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Well, flatheadhero, at least it was pretty entertaining reading!

14. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

ok,all those young guys who say this'll discourage you from buying tools and working on yer cars,i call BULLSHIT! you can still go out to the swapmeets and relatives houses and get tools.no,not the cheapo tent tools,i'm talking OLD TOOLS that were made when people knew what they were doing! just the other day i went into my dad's garage and found a bucket full of old screwdrivers and picks and other things he just flat out forgot he had.i also walked off with the base of a 2 barrel carb.dont know if i need it but that's the point.grab stuff you dont know if you'll need cuz you'll never know.i dont know what i'm going to do with about 10 pairs of screwdrivers,but i'm keeping them and probably am gonna end up using them all!!
    creepy

15. taskforceranger506

taskforceranger506

You'll be doing alot of screwing..........................I know thats cheesy but I had to. Have fun. More than what I'm doing here.:D

16. 1. IT'S A RUMOR PEOPLE!!!

2. NO POLITICAL B.S., read the rules

3. Oh and one more thing...
    [​IMG]

17. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Wow this urban legend has been going around, I'm surprised so many people haven't heard it before. The OP is a FNG and had no evidence to back it up. A lotta people took the bait!

That said, a friend of mine told me it was true a few months ago, so I looked it up, and it's bullshit, Craftsman are warrantied like they ever weere.

18. GamblinAJ

GamblinAJ
    from Corona Ca

Man your in the US military & that quote makes me ill.....Mainly the three words "you can't blame" :(

19. Flatheadhero, thanks for setting the record straight!

20. RATCAMINO

RATCAMINO

if it is true, i m selling my craftsman shit casin out the savings and callin my mac guy never got a word of crap from accept "wow you broke that" as he handed me a new one

21. Sounds like you're a Snap On dealer

22. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Your in Iraq? Just remember, a Union guy built that Hummer you ride in. A Union guy also built that tank that is keeping you from getting shot. A Union guy built that plane and chopper that is flying over your head protecting you.

23. Dugg

Dugg

Maybe Sears got tired of handing out new tools to guys who found Craftsman tools at yard sales for fifty cents.
    Maybe Sears got tired of replacing tools that may have been damaged by abuse and stupidity.
    Maybe Sears figured that, since cars the tools are used to repair don't have a lifetime warranty, why should the tools.
    Maybe Sears heard Snap-On's warranty ain't as good as it used to be.
    Maybe Sears figured since (many of) the youth of today can't make change for a dollar, these youths don't need a lifetime warranty.
    Maybe Sears assumes the Masses are Asses (Sometimes referred to the first rule of retailing and politics)
    Maybe Sears just fucking sucks.
    Maybe this is all nothing more than rumor started by a tool truck guy.
    I don't know for sure. I made a minor purchase, used my Master Card to get the airlines miles and they switched it to my Sears charge account. I cancelled my Sears account and I seldom shop there anymore.

24. rodknocker

rodknocker

Everybody and their brother has a lifetime warranty on their tools,whether its sears,walmart, k-mart, etc....Stop with the stupid rumors.I bet
    you think this is 10" -----------------------------------------------

25. haring

haring

KMart bought Sears in 2004.

Way to be on leading edge, guys. [​IMG]

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just called Craftsman customer service and they are aware of the rumor, but it's not for sure and the guy said he didn't think it would happen. He gave me a number for Sears customer relations. CALL THEM! Express your concerns! The lady took down everything I said including my recomendations to update their website reinforcing the "lifetime warranty" on hand tools.

CALL THEM and express your concerns! Here's the number:
    1-800-549-4505 I think I selected 5. I sat on hold for about 5-minutes or so and then got right through. They were pretty nice too.

We have generations of Craftsman handtools passed down from my Grandfather and other family members. I for one would like to see the lifetime warranty stick around to at least support what I already have!

CALL THEM!!

27. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

My family is all union pricks, guess I better get ready for the lynch mob......

funny...... it worked a century til some rich prick decided he wanted even MORE money, moved overseas, undercut US products, drove product costs up so US companies to survive, and told everybody the union products were junk. People were so stupid they pay 10 cents for a wrench and figure why should I buy a $5.00 ratchet, then all of a sudden the "Unions" are the bad guys.

Excuse them for trying to protect their safety, health, and raise a family on one salary, LIKE THEY USED TO! Remember those days? Ah gee, sorry poor corporations you just HAD to make that extra billion dollars in profits, who could blame you for moving overseas, you just CAN'T afford to pay living wages! I call bullshit on that!

28. Mutt

Mutt

I like traditional hot rods. This web site used to be about them.

Mutt

29. I second the motion. All in favor say Aye!

30. clloyd

clloyd

Craftsman has been investing in cheap gadget crap for Harry Homeowner for quite a while. The only reason to buy them was because of the return policy and store locations. If you have stock sell now because Craftsman is going to take one hell of a dive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.