Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The price of projects and “undesirables “

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, May 3, 2021.

1. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I wouldn’t call some of the cars/projects undesirable simply because it is not your/our taste. People select cars for projects for a lot of reasons. Nostalgia because it may be something a parent, uncle or they owned in their youth. It may be what they can afford. Possibly a four door/sedan because there simply aren’t as many two doors/hard tops available as there once were. Trying to find an all steel 30’s coupe i like is almost impossible without unlimited budget. There are a lot of cars being turned into hot rods that wouldn’t have been even considered hot rod worthy in the 60’s but most of the low fruit has already been picked.

People have always thought some of their pure junk cars is worth more then it is. However with the ease of communication (internet, social media, eBay, etc) it just reinforces that belief now. When you run across that behavior you have to recognize it and move on. People have always parked/stored cars in barns, fields, garages, etc when they quit running with the idea of fixing someday. Time slips by. When we find an old car prewar or 50’s car we call it a barn find and are excited I suspect those looking for 70’s 80’s car are doing the same and feel just the same. People tend to want cars they had or couldn’t afford in high school or as young adults some of the cars people are looking for today are no different. This website focuses of pre 65 cars but but there are a lot of other sites that focus on later stuff and they are probably having the same conversation. Someday in the future guys our same age now will be looking for Dodge Hellcats, Mustang Bosses and Camaros.

Just Gary and bchctybob like this.
  2. 1952henry

1952henry

I am just irritated that someone beat me to the starting line on used barn find dust. Was going to collect the dust off my 52 Ford pickup when I pull it out if storage for a road trip. Figured someone would buy the dust to create a " barn find".

3. I think we all spend to much time remembering what we could buy stuff for .
    My Father used to complain all the time how expensive stuff was getting.
    Seemed normal priced to me .
    Never knew it to be any cheaper .
    Now 30 years later everything seems expensive to me ,but normal to my kids as they have never known anything to be cheaper bought a 68 cuda for 800.00 (1978)
    Hell my oldest is looking for a house in Toronto and a million dollar price tag doesn't even phase him (yes he is just a working stiff) .
    He doesn't remember the days of 200,000.00 dollar homes and 15000.00 dollar new cars .
    I am now becoming my Dad and am stuck in the 80s and 90s ......

mr57, Squablow, egads and 6 others like this.
  4. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ Boy ain’t that the truth. My Dad used to bitch about the rising cost of virtually everything and did without just to “show them”. I don’t think they noticed. While I do see myself turning into my Dad I don’t really bitch about the cost of stuff as much as he did. I just buy what I need and shop for the best deal I can find.
    I definitely don’t pay anyone to do stuff that I can do myself but that robs me of precious time sometimes.
    As far as project cars are concerned, I finally faced the fact that I just can’t take on any more projects. I have four underway and I’ll be damned lucky to finish two of them. So I figure let the a-holes ask whatever for their crap, I’ve got mine.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Im in Calif, There are so many undesirable projects and 4 doors for sale on craigslist then I have ever seen before and sellers think just because its old its worth money. With new homes being built here with no backyards and small 2 car garages some people forced to put old cars in storage with fees at crazy prices, (Im paying $255 month to store a car in a 20x10 garage untill Im finished with the car in my garage now) Good desirable projects like impalas and G.M. muscle cars seem to be the biggest money makers-good investments and it has to do with the younger generation getting into old cars and it sure seems they prefer the 60's 70's cars.

VANDENPLAS and Dan Hay like this.
  6. Years ago I bought a 1956 Black Forest van, not the one with the sunroof and windows in the roof, but with the fancy interior. I paid $50 for it and drove it for about a month. I took it out to the lake and the damn thing couldn't make it up the hill. I had to go up backwards to make it. Damn thing wouldn't pull a stiff prick out of a pail of lard. Now I see those stupid things selling for as much as a fixer upper Impala...if I had only known...now the older one I did keep (serial #15,xxx, no window panel) is only worth the price of a lift of 2x4's...

7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Asking ain't getting.
    Just scroll on by.