Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cal-Trac bars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiend42, May 6, 2021.

1. Fiend42

Fiend42

Wondering if anybody has installed Cal-Trac bars on a 1939 Ford with the parallel leaf spring conversion. Got wheel hop and was thinking of using this traction bar set-up.

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  2. Cal tracs work great!, i had them on a 64 Nova, and my 68 Firebird. as far as which ones to order, you might want to call Cal Trac and tell them what your working on. I know they flat stopped the wheel hop on the cars i was using them on!

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. squirrel

squirrel

or you can make something that looks like Traction Masters, and works like Cal Tracs.

traction3.jpg

5. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I have my own home-brewed version of Cal-Tracs on my Henry J. From the side, all you can see is the bar so they sorta look like Traction Masters.

Gary

46international and loudbang like this.
  6. Fiend42

Fiend42

Thank you for the replies. Need to follow up and do it. Traction Master is nice set-up on the 40. Fits the scrub line, I think ? I will check all options. Back later........John

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. The traction master co. is still in bis. you can find them on the web I ordered some new bushings for mine about a year ago

Joe Travers likes this.
  8. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

The biggest failure of Traction Master design was the front attachment was in single shear. They were an easy install in early 60's and I had on three different cars, but snapped the front bolt a few times before modding. Cal tracs and Squirrel's design superior for anti squat control adjustment and certainly
    double shear attachment

fauj, Tman, mad mikey and 1 other person like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This style of forward attachment eliminates that issue entirely and is much more forgiving on street driven cars.
    I built a dozen sets of these in the late 80's for 62-67 Novas, this design can be used on most leaf spring equipped cars.

20170306_104454.jpg

mad mikey likes this.
  10. Fiend42

Fiend42

Where do I get a set? Are they universal? I can see the spring perch with the shock mount, but how does the forward end mount at the end of the spring? Any welding involved or holes to be drilled? Do I need to know any measurements, like spring lenght?

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I need to find my old Traction Master application sheet but I don't recall direct fit bars for cars of your era but they did offer numerous sets for specific applications.
    If you don't plan on making your own you may adapt a set made for an application that has a forward spring length close to yours.
    I designed mine to clamp on the spring as close to the forward pivot as possible, the spring sandwiches between the mount that is welded to the bar and the seperate plate with two pieces of heavy rubber flat stock. To allow slight movement under street driving conditions a locknut is used and only snugged up with a slight preload on the rubber pads.

Here is a Google search with numerous articles and photos for reference.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Tra...keA_cQ_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=1280&bih=800&dpr=1.5

Photo from Traction Master website.

http://www.tractionmaster.com/ upload_2021-5-7_15-44-42.png

mad mikey and Joe Travers like this.
  12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

DSCF2757.JPG

I put a piece of flat between my bellcranks and have a short, urethane snubber to make contact with the spring. They still work good and are not as harsh for a street car.

Gary

Mark Yac, brEad, Tman and 8 others like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can honestly say I've never seen a setup quite like that, pretty cool.

14. squirrel

squirrel

interesting..

I get some racket going into reverse, some times. I guess the snubber would help that. But the rest of the car is pretty obnoxious, so I won't bother :)

AHotRod, mad mikey and fauj like this.
  15. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Just to note the Traction Master design works in both directions to limit spring wrap, where the
    Calvert's type geometry is superior for accelleration but provides nothing for braking. Back in the early days the alignment shop next to my dad's installed them all the time for the braking aspect (I don't think
    they even considered accelleration back then)

Joe Travers, loudbang and fauj like this.
  16. RmK57

RmK57

I never understood what people meant about the harshness of the ride with Caltracs. I have little preload in mine and it does make the suspension a tiny bit stiffer but not enough to really notice. If I back way off on the preload you wont even know there on there as they wont function.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    loudbang, Penetrator and mad mikey like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll let them explain it.
    upload_2021-5-8_16-54-25.png

fauj likes this.
  18. I need to build a set like that! any more pics?

loudbang likes this.
  19. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

DSCF2756.JPG

Just this one. Gary

brEad, AHotRod, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. loudbang likes this.
  21. When building your own set, what is the ideal distance between the bottom of the spring plate and the rod end bushing?

Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  22. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Before fabricating a "Cal Tracs type of traction bar", take a look how Calvert allowed for adjustability.
    By selecting different holes in the front plate and the amount of preload; the antisquat can be dialed
    in. This has a lot to do how cars can run in the 8's on just a 9" tire and maintain a straight lauch by
    dialling both sides as needed.

fauj and loudbang like this.
  23. Yellow Dog, thanks for the insight. I was considering either one... I don't see the truck as being a monster that would require 'too much' in the way of traction.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Error? New computer.
    Gary, thanks for the overall pics, and my regular traction masters are about to be 'Cal-Trac'ed'!
    Amazing, another giant leap for bellcranks! Great geometry.
    My '54 Ford coupe is going to be surprised with a set of these attached to the 9" over its springs...

fauj and Tman like this.