Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Pigeon Forge rod run in jeopardy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, May 5, 2021.

1. finn

finn

Went through PF and Gatlinburg a few years ago. Not a place I ever hope to return to. Gaudy, synthetic and unattractive in my opinion. A lot like Myrtle Beach and Branson. Just not my thing.

We have similar problems with snowmobilers here. They think the locals should kiss their....(feet). A few businesses make money off of them, but the majority of locals are just inconvenienced. Lots of loud, obnoxious drunks, “canned” machines clogging up gas pump islands, etc. No respect for their hosts.

I’ll take a small show with maybe 75 or 100 cars any day.

2. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Anyplace that depends on outsiders for income will end up like this. I have lived in a few tourists towns and it can be hell. But if you make your living from said people not much can be done. I left those towns because of the rude assholes an will never go back

3. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I went one time, 6 or 7 years ago and that was enough for me. The town cops, forestry dept and state cops were writing tickets like crazy. They were targeting hot rodders when there were plenty of diesels poring smoke and drunks they could have concentrated on. I seen several tickets wrote for no reason, 3 cops were on motorcycles and they were having a picnic. I bought a car and the guy called me since I was going to pay him some money down, it took him 3 hours to drive a 1/4 of a mile. Plus you had the people riding in the back of pick ups screaming all kind of crap at people, cops didn't bother them.

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Maggie Valley is my new stop in the Smokies .

impala4speed and anthony myrick like this.
  6. Be sure to throw a chain & padlock around a couple of wheels if you go, they'll steal your car!

Truckdoctor Andy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. I started going to Gatlinburg through the back way.
    I like going in winter. Snow is a rarity here.
    The Forge car shows remind me of PC back in the day.

dan31 likes this.
  8. If you stay overnight for a show always post a guard. Or drive junk no one wants.

9. Or Townsend. The road from Townsend, along the Little River, goes either to Cades Cove or bypasses Gatlinburg and comes out on 441 south of town. One of the most beautiful rides in the Smokies.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I delivered a load of lumber up there about 30 years ago. Getting in at night was no problem, getting out the next morning was murder! There was some kind of car gathering going on that weekend, don't remember what now, but there were a lot of nice rides the best I remember. Think it took 2-3 hours just to get back to I40. Haven't been back since.

Desoto291Hemi and anthony myrick like this.
  11. gene-koning

gene-koning

My wife and I spent a week in that area 20 years ago. We drove our 54 Dodge pickup. One lady made the comment that we should have been there the week before because we missed the big car show. I told her we have been to that big car show before, we missed it on purpose this time. Traffic was crazy even then, but the cabin we rented in the mountains was great. I don't have the urge to go back again.

The end of this month we are making the road trip into Kentucky, a few years ago it wasn't too bad there.

We don't do big car shows anymore. When the numbers get past 1,000, the shows start going down hill, the bigger the numbers, the worst the shows. Gene

partssaloon and 31hotrodguy like this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well stealing a line from I think Don Henley...We're living in a graceless age". It seems everywhere you go there are idiots or as Steve Miller wrote, " Fools to the right of me, jokers on my left". Just a bunch of arrogant self absorbed pricks who stand on their "rights" and there is nothing "civil" about it.

Then we have the easily offended, highly fragile crowd that gets offended, triggered, and traumatized at anything and everything.

Why has society become so fractured? In the words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?".

I just want to work on my cars and go a a nice drive...

13. exterminator

exterminator

I have always wanted to go to that car show especially after visiting Dollywood and the Smoky mountains about 10 years ago. Beautiful area, but now i think i will pass on the car show. Thanks for the heads up.

partssaloon and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

In 1992 my wife and I bought a time share in Pigeon Forge. Our daughter was small and we thought it would be good for her. And we did the Gatlinburg thing and Dollywood. Once. We owned it for (I embarrassed to say) 27 years and went there 4 times. It just didn’t fit our lifestyle...
    Now we live 50 miles from PF and I really have no desire to go back.

Desoto291Hemi and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

No, don’t go to Townsend, do the Maggie Valley thing instead! We like to keep it quiet there. And it’s the Little River.

16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Well as a side note here are a few pics we took of the H.A.M.B. friendly stuff. IMG_5748.JPG IMG_5781.JPG IMG_5778.JPG IMG_5782.JPG IMG_5776.JPG IMG_5740.JPG IMG_5780.JPG IMG_5777.JPG IMG_5767.JPG IMG_5772.JPG IMG_5769.JPG IMG_5759.JPG IMG_5737.JPG IMG_5751.JPG IMG_5762.JPG IMG_5736.JPG IMG_5753.JPG IMG_5744.JPG IMG_5743.JPG
    Like I mentioned a few pages back on this post there was definitely silly crap going on but I still hope it doesn’t get shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. Gatlinburg in the early 70's was our mecca, hot rods were everywhere and that's something we were not use to seeing.

It was a quaint little town and no one was interested in shopping. HRP

18. Thanks! Had a geographical brain short circuit. Little River it is.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Is this where forged pigeons come from?

lothiandon1940 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  20. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Yes, you have to buy them in sets of eight and they come in various oversizes.

21. primed34

primed34

I made the Mid South Rod Roundup in Gatlinburg for '73 to '77. It was a must attend rod run. At that time PF wasn't much more than a wide spot on the highway. When to the Shades run once in '86 and haven't been back since.

lothiandon1940 and 31hotrodguy like this.