Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My TCI (total cost involved) adventure...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milwscruffy, May 5, 2021.

1. I'll start this off as more of a heads than rant, I think... In mid January I ordered a complete chrome / stainless front tube axle kit from TCI. I was told at the time it would be about a month out due to polishing and chrome, no problem, this will be a lengthy project anyways.

Mid February I get a notice from FedEx I would be receiving the order the following Wednesday. Nothing shows Wednesday, Thursday or Friday with an email each day saying my packages are out for delivery. Called FedEx Saturday and was told they would get back to me and an email 20 minutes later says I'll get 3 packages Monday and one Tuesday, fine and dandy! Four hours later 3 out of 4 boxes show up on my back steps unannounced. Sunday at noon the final package shows up unannounced also, but this time it's the chrome front axle, no longer in a box and scratched to hell in just a plastic shelve with a FedEx label plastered on it.

Monday I call and am told no problem, just send it back in the box and they'll send me a prepaid shipping label. Told them that would be pretty hard to do seeing the box went AWOL. Oh yeah, on the other end of the phone and then we figured they will send a replacement axle and to then ship the first axle back in that box. Fast forward to early mid March and the new axle shows and I ship back the first, cool.

I inspected everything that showed but didn't read the pull sheet from when the order was placed in January. So I get to mocking stuff up three weeks ago and go to attach the spring to the axle and I have no spring perches. At that time I read the pull sheet and it shows the perches were pulled, but the lower shock mounts and stainless 4-bar bolts were on back-order. Sure enough don't have them and never got them in the past 3 months.

Another call and yes they forgot to ship the lower shock mounts and 4-bar bolts when they came in and I can only assume the spring perches were in the front axle box that went missing and those were shipped also. Everything showed up in 10 days.

So now I'm a happy camper and start to assemble the axle, spring, perches, shackles onto the chassis, great. Both front spindle, steering arm, brake components come pre-assembled so this should go quick. Go to put the kingpin in and no go. Look at the bushings and they have chrome on them about a quarter of the way down. I took some pictures and then started to remove the chrome with a machinist scraper. A couple hours later no more chrome and should be go to go. Nope they were never fit for the pins.

Another call and finally said I'll take things apart and have them honed to size at my local speed shop to eliminate the 3 week turn around to ship them back. Pins now fit and I was compensated for the cost of that by TCI. Get the spindles on today, finally and there is .015 gap between the axle boss and the spindle and move the spindle up and down that much.

One last call to ask what their tolerance is for that and they say zero (.000) and they told me to shim it accordingly with the supplied shim kit. You guessed it... no shim kit shipped either. Quick trip to my local circle track place cured that problem. So in review, I can say TCI was friendly throughout this whole affair, I managed not to blow up at anybody, but buyer beware. Then again maybe I got all the F*ck ups in one order. Now where did I put that whiskey and yes I guess this did turn into a long winded rant after all. Cheers !!!

2. Damn! I feel your pain. Seems like similar things are happening t0o a lot of 0f guys trying to get parts. I am not sure exactly what is going on. I needed an axle after my accident, and it seems like I got the last Super Bell forged axle in the country. Every thing seems to be on backorder with no known time frame. I was on hold with SpeedWay and other venders for hours. I guess this is the new normal?

3. Yep, pretty much seems to be the new normal. I keep telling my friends I'm glad I'm not in a real hurry !

stillrunners, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  4. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Yep new normal............having a a sway bar made for your 53 Chrysler wagon.......3 to 4 week turn around........remove and ship my old sway bar to them for a sample (seems they don’t keep 1.25 sway bars for a 53 Chrysler in stock????go figure. Now early May and the bar is being shipped.........yep new normal

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. Seldom are parts bolt in without mods. It's been that way for decades. There's many people new to the hobby that are unaware of the pitfalls. It sounds to me that TCI tried very hard for you. Many aren't that accommiddating. There's a reason many of us have a complete shop at our disposal. Hang in there and you'll get where you need to be. There are many for surprises ahead for us. :)

catdad49 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  6. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

OK, I'll give a "shout out" to POSIES. Had a fairly complicated order for a bunch of suspension parts with some substitutions. Everything was well packed and shipped when they said it would be. Have ordered before and received the same excellent service and parts that worked the first time.

7. Been doing this for 45 years, this was by far the biggest mess ( not on my part ) that I have run into. I agree that almost nothing is a bolt in anymore. TCI did their best after the fact, wish they would put that much effort in QC before the stuff leaves their warehouse. I did my part to buy American made stuff, guess maybe I was expecting too much !

8. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

9. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

retired and working p/t back in the turf trade.
    briggs carb on b/o since sept
    w/house said kohler engine parts made in czech. closed until further noticed
    euro tractors w/italy diesels just open up 2 wks
    switzerland just open 2 weeks ago
    woodchipper knives from india unknown about when
    parts from canada spotty
    parts from unknown sitting in L/A harbor
    trumps 25% steel tariff has been killing us for 2 yrs.
    steel, aluminum, rubber, lead, etc used in the machines prices keep going up
    copper up to $9960/ton. say it will hit 13k. aluminum over $2400/ton
    AND the customers don't believe us of the world issues. they think it's a big lie.
    welcome to the 1950's again. :D

10. chryslerfan55, loudbang and HemiDeuce like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It took two months to get my Ford AOD transmission rebuilt. Transmission guy said it was a nightmare to get parts for anything, especially if it was over a few years old. He said it took him over a month to get a replacement valve body for a 4r70 in a pickup. He does what he can until he needs parts, then starts another one, about all he can do.

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I go thru this on a regular basis almost weekly in my chassis business also with the transmissions we sell. Fortunately I have had very understanding customers so far. I do my best. I've had very good service from all my vendors who are doing their best. I get parts from Roadster Supply, Pete & Jake's, John's, Boling Brothers, Speedway, Winter's, Hot Shoe Hot Rods, and Walt's and they have knocked themselves out to provide good service. It's not their fault if their suppliers can't get them product. I think almost everyone in the supply chain is doing their best. I'm sure glad your situation with TCI was resolved and everything turned out alright. NOW, MAKE ME ANOTHER BLOODY MARY!

13. catdad49

catdad49

^Hope it’s better than the machine coffee!^

loudbang and milwscruffy like this.
  14. Okay, how about this......
    20171122_193529.jpg

15. Wow, I can't imagine having to go through this weekly. No offense, but better you than me. I tend to reserve Bloody Mary's more for the weekends. :D

loudbang likes this.
  16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Bloody Mary's are not a daily occasion but occasionally one in the evening with dinner is good.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

19. Now I know how you guys get through the long phone calls.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Sure, keep it up guys, I'm getting a powerful thirst built up !

loudbang likes this.
  21. Aye, you'll be havin' a wee dram then, will ya?

22. Just a sip or two.

23. This is starting to look like one of the aircraft mechanics pages I'm on... ;)

24. Yep, just mention whiskey and the thread goes to hell...:cool:

loudbang, warbird1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Yep - the 50's when Ike was the man and we still bought those transistor radios starting a progression to this day.....

lonejacklarry and loudbang like this.