Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heartbreak at Harbor Freight: bead roller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cl350rr, Aug 30, 2011.

1. caballo

caballo

2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I think that most of the tool items and equipment you buy from one of these "tool/supply" box stores have to be modified to be able to use in the garage. Remember that in the 50's China was manufacturing toy cars out of tin now they are selling the tools that made those little tin cars.

3. brading

brading

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Since this 10 year old thread has popped back up into view (as well as google searches on the subject) and I have opinions, I'm going to chime in. I have a HF bead roller and it works as designed and the dies are OK. HOWEVER, the one I actually use is the little 8" Eastwood Elite bead roller. Since people searching for the HF unit (which may not be available currently) or comparable inexpensive rollers seem to be landing here I am going to point them to this rig instead. If you are just getting into this stuff and want a rig that will do the job and that you can control easily by yourself out of the box, this is the better machine to get. The handle is a 4 post design and sits within easy reach of the user. The metal is thicker and the frame is much shorter so I have not witnessed any deflection. It will take the HF dies. It will do a lot of the basic tasks most of us need to do to make panels despite its short throat.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    High test 63 and pitman like this.
  5. Retrorod

Retrorod

My HF bead roller works pretty good after I modified it many years ago. Just don’t try to run anything heavier than 16 ga. thru it.

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I was "liking" some of the posts on this thread then, suddenly, I found that the thread is 10 years old. So, I'm going to post anyway. It'll give me something to do.
    It's just as if it was posted today.

bchctybob and Peter Nowak like this.
  7. Koz

Koz

I pulled the guts out of my HF one and put them into a frame based on the July 1994 American Rodder plans. Works almost as good as the Pexto I used to have and foolishly sold. Totally usable in a small shop. Only the heavy professional rollers will do a better job.

patmanta likes this.
  8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Here's how I have my little Eastwood Pro rig set up now:

[​IMG]

I added the motor kit and mounted it to my HF English Wheel frame. It is super easy to use in the shop for me now.

9. Dirk35

Dirk35

I modified mine the same way cl350rr did but I used 2x2" 1/4" wall square tubing. I still have some flex in mine when rolling 14ga but I just do it in multiple passes and itll make a bead just fine. His use of the angle iron and how he modified his is probably stiffer than how I modified mine and how I would modify mine if I have to do it over again.

10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Lots of thread cpr seems to be happening lately. Must be an information resurgence.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

^^^ Good idea to keep old threads alive.

210superair, Cosmo49 and caseywheels like this.
  12. bchctybob

bchctybob

I'm not a big bead roll guy, kinda like billet aluminum it seems to have been over used in the last 5-10 years. I guess that's why my HF unit stayed in the box on the shelf for 15 years. When I finally did take it out to use it, it didn't work worth a shit so it's back on the shelf waiting for the next swap meet. Probably been over 20 years since I rolled a bead with a roller.

13. Budget36

Budget36

I might be able to save you a trip to the swap meet. Gonna send you a pm

14. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

always get a laugh at these posts! The majority of HF bead rollers are sold to guys building circle track bodies and interiors-using pre-painted .040 aluminum,and they work just fine!!!