Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Damn kids and their rain sensing windshield wipers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trevorsworth, May 5, 2021.

1. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just some thoughts from the perspective of a 25 year old who's still just getting started. I touched on this subject just now in another thread but I think it's worthy of its own.

First and foremost, the HAMB is an absolute gem. If not for this place and the great folks I've met here I would probably have given up pretty quick and stuck with a more accessible hobby. I have made some great friends here who help others and include others without sparing a thought for the philosophy of it. That's how it should be, and how I want to think most folks on the HAMB are.

However, there is a somewhat prevalent attitude of "damn kids" that I see crop up every so often in some threads, usually by less active posters. Sometimes it's casual and undirected, not mean-spirited but exclusive and self-centered. Other times it's outright cruel, picking apart the best efforts of young people that are trying their best out of pure passion even though the old know-it-alls never offered them a hand.

And then I run into it a LOT outside of the HAMB - I've had people outright refuse to sell me parts that I need because I could surely not have any real interest in "their" cars, I'm just another schmuck millennial out to flip it and make a profit on the backs of "their" work... right?

Then I meet a lot of old guys who tell me I'm "one of the good ones", that they're surprised anyone my age can talk shop with them. I can tell they don't include their kids, or their grandkids. It's just a hobby for them and their buddies (who are also old). They have this assumption that young people by default are not interested or lack the patience or attention span or are automatically politically opposed to fuel burning cars or whatever ignorance. They almost constantly complain to each other about young people - "why aren't they interested? Why does my grandkid drive a Kia Soul? Sure, I've never let him sit in my car because, well, the upholstery cost me $2000! I've never let him drive it because, gasp, what if he chips a tooth? Chirps a tire? What if, by God, someone has FUN in this thing? What if the value of my car goes down?!?! But still, surely he should of his own volition desire a car that is less practical, less safe, more expensive and more cantankerous???"

Although I nod and smile and pay lip service to this crap when I'm surrounded by it - usually because I'm trying to buy parts, and I'm not in a position to chide anyone - it gets under my skin more than a little. I know nothing's really meant by it, but it's offputting to people less stubborn than me, especially to those who aren't already anchored in the hobby.

The fact is young people want to love old cars, but they seem like the domain of old men. To young people, they seem to be expensive, arcane, and unobtainable - and a pointless expense to a generation that has ever less money, less time and less space. But that's what passion is all about - if you're passionate about cars, you will shed such sensibilities and do what your heart demands.

Gatekeeping old cars and locking them away from younger eyes isn't going to light that fire in anyone's heart. You have to make an active effort to make them part of someone else's life. Include your kids, include your grandkids, include their friends and the strangers walking down the street. That passion doesn't come from nowhere, and it definitely doesn't come from seeing a group you can't relate to having fun without you.

So what are you guys doing to light fires? How are you passing the torch? How can "we" as a group spread the gospel further and make the hobby more accessible to make sure these cars survive into the next century?

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Beats me.

At our most recent car club meeting, we had this very discussion...from the other end. I joined the Sierra Vista Car Club in 1988, when it was new, and I was in my 20s. Over the decades, I've usually been the youngest, or close to youngest guy, there.

I turned 60 today.

We still haven't figured out a way to light the fire, pass the torch, spread the gospel, or whatever, to get younger folks interested in the stuff we do. I pretty much gave up on it years ago, but I still like to discuss the situation with the older folks...if only to see how out of touch we really are.

Anyways, good for you....keep trying

3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Trevor,
    Some years ago, (probably 25 years?) I bought an old 1948 CJ2A Jeep that belonged to Fred Flintstone. You could literally use your feet as brakes because there were no floorboards in it. It needed EVERYTHING! I found a Willys Jeep place in Farmers Branch TX that was ran by an "old guy" named Ben. When I first started going in there asking for parts, gas tank, he "didnt have", steering wheel, "they dont make them anymore", and every once in a while, I would stumble upon something he did have. As I continued to frequent the place, buying small pieces and parts, and asking about how to do this or that, he asked me one day what I was building. I told him I was restoring this old Jeep as a hobby to use around my 154 acre ranch. He said..."bring me some pictures of what you have." So I took some photos and took them with me one day. This was before Cell Phone Photos. He looked over the pictures, and says "didnt you tell me you were looking for a gas tank?" He went upstairs and came down with a box that looked like it had 50 years of dust on it. He said he had "forgotten" he had it and had come across it the other day. All of a sudden he had a steering wheel, and several other hard to come by parts. We became friends that day. From then on, he had everything I needed. If he didn't have it, he sure knew how to make it from modern materials. I took him the old engine block that had sat outside for decades without a head on it, and he used some kind of acid to get the pistons loose and the engine disassembled, then he sent it off to his preferred machine shop and had the block sleeved and bored to match a set of pistons he "found", and just on and on with anything and everything I needed. He helped me rebuild the transmission with good "used" parts he had stashed away, etc. etc.

I finally asked him one day why he suddenly had parts, and he told me that he loved these old jeeps, and wasn't going to sell his stash of parts that was somewhat limited to guys that were just going to build a deer lease jeep and tear it up and abandon it after a couple of years for their next "toy".

Old guys are old guys, and have a lot of knowledge, but also have the wisdom to know who to spend the time with to spread and share their knowledge, in my opinion anyway. I'm approaching the "old guy" age and try to help anyone that I can if they show a genuine interest in what little knowledge I have. I have seen you progress in less than a year to someone who didn't know diddly about a Model A or a Flathead to going and helping a guy get his Flathead cranked. That brought a smile to me. You are becoming an "old guy" at age 25! Ha!!!!

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Happy Birthday Squirrel!

Nostrebor, Thor1, 48fordnut and 11 others like this.

5. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very well written, I NEED guys like you because at some point in the not distant future my wife will be selling my "stuff".

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a 17 year old nephew that is into cars as much as I was at that age. All of the people around OKC that own antique shops know him by name. He buys and sells antique cameras, fans and TV's. He has put 10,000 miles on the Okie Apache since we finished it. He just drug home a $35 1940's Frigidaire Refrigerator that he is refinishing and repurposing for a gun safe.

He is at my shop every weekend. I don't have to do much to mentor him. He reads a lot and surfs Youtube daily. He just needs opportunity.

Your generation has been brought up in a consumeristic, throw away, society nursed by cell phones that have morphed into appendages attached to the ends of the arm. It may seem like you are on an island, but I felt that way in the 80's. Most guys were into muscle cars back then. I felt like I found heaven when I stumbled on to the hamb 20+ years ago. That's why I stay. Like minded folks with the same passion I have. Don't fret over the naysayers on here. There are a lot of opinionated folks, just like in the real world. You won't make everyone happy. Jesus couldn't even appease 12.

Keep doing what you are doing and you will eventually become the old guy.

7. mickeyc

mickeyc

Happy Birthday Sir.

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I remember joining our vintage car club in '85. I was around thirty and hoping for some mentoring but got none. Share guys offered to help and then quoted their shop prices! So I quit a few years later mostly due to the fact that the meetings were more like a business meeting. I did find a couple of older fellows along the way that were great and showed me how to do things.

I rejoined that club about four years ago and not much has changed. I realize that young guys don't have a place to work on cars because around here basement suites and apartment are about all a young person can afford. Couple that with old guys hoarding there stuff so a young person couldn't even find and old car at a decent price. And yet they young crowd is deridedbecause they like the tuner cars. It looks like our treasures will be sold at bargain prices when we croak or just scrapped...

9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Well written Trevor! Most of the old guys I run with would and do share information and try to feed and nurture any young person that shows a hint of interest in our hobby. We realize it can be an expensive, time consuming and often frustrating hobby to get started in. Most of us want these old cars and culture to be cared for beyond our limited years and know that young folks like you are the hope we that this could happen. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today.

10. Happy birthday squirrel.... and good on you trevor. You truly are a different breed. Younger guys just don't seem to be into the older stuff in my area. But, there isn't a lot of entry priced stuff here either. TV shows and hoarders have driven the price so high that most of us can't afford it. Been a long time since I've seen a young guy that asks about doing bodywork. Most don't want to get their hands dirty.

TagMan, lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First off, @squirrel, happy birthday. I've got 10 years on you but I'm constantly amazed by your wealth of knowledge. There are times when I have trouble just remembering righty tighty, lefty loosey. But I have to disagree that you haven't found away to pass the torch. Your work with the HS robotics team is passing the torch. They may not be thinking about a '32 roadster right now but down the road might be a different story. Even if they don't come around to the hot rod point of view I know that they are better for your mentoring. JMO.

Texas57, Hnstray, rockable and 6 others like this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’m 68 and have never considered myself part of any group.
    Yes I do fall in the age old category of blaming ourselves for spoiling the younger generation.
    Generally every generation has become softer.
    I really do think many of the complaints about earlier generations are true.
    My grandson, a 14 yr old won’t come out of his bedroom unless you pry him out.
    Ive done my best to raise my kids to be hardworking responsible people.
    It’s up to them to do the same to theirs.
    My kids both repair and build old cars.
    Just because the latest generation isn’t interested in our hobby doesn’t make them irresponsible and lazy.
    My grandson gets straight A’s in school and built his own computer.
    I see a lot of kids in the 30-50’s interest in hot rods.
    I’m glad to hear you’re one of them.
    The best we can do is lead by example.

13. mickeyc

mickeyc

Well I must tell you I am completely open to helping, including, or sharing
    this hobby with anyone who shows interest. I have attempted to initiate
    all of my three grandsons and other young guys into the realm. The fact is
    I find little interest in the process amongst other than older guys that have
    cars ingrained into their souls for decades. I find the instant gratification
    mind set of a lot of younger people just does not include the hands on effort
    it takes to build or modify any vehicle. A lot of the older fellows I know are
    at the point where they can afford to purchase what they desire and really
    dont care to get into the actual work any longer. I find the topic of conversation among car folks these day tends more to be more about
    who spent what on a vehicle or how much one sold for. I only know of a few fellows that are in the shop hands on these days. None are young that I know. My shop is fairly well equipped and I am willing to help folks, but
    few ask. Maybe its me I have been accused of being grumpy on the rare
    occasion! LOL.

14. topher5150

topher5150

My experience has been a lot different almost all the old-timers that I've bought parts and whatnot were more than happy to unload their parts to a young whippersnapper like me. My guess is they figure they don't have too many birthdays left and would rather pass it along as it were.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. I'm 44 with 4 kids, the oldest is 10 and my only son is 7. It remains to be seen if he is going to be a 'car guy'. I'm leaving it up to him, but also providing opportunity if he's interested. I'm still building, and will be allowing him to help as he gets older and less dangerous in the shop.

I went the college route and was interested in Hot Rods but it wasn't until I started hanging around here that I got busy and built something, along with encouragement from the Crossmembers brothers.

I get what you mean though, it wasn't long ago that I was getting crapped on by the old-timers from time to time, especially if I buy a 4 door car.... Maybe it's a rite of passage.

By the way, noticed you are in Weatherford. I'm in Crowley, not too far from you. If you need anything I might be able to help, or might have a part you need, or you might have a part I need!

16. Don’t take it to heart man,,,,,it is okay.
    It’s just what old guys do !

Shoot man,,,,,I’m 57,,,,,and a lot of times I get talked down to as well .
    They don’t mean it that way,,,,,,,it’s much better now than a few years ago .
    Before,,,,,,it was automatically assumed you were a moron,,,,,and they relished in the insults and barbs that could be hurled at you .
    Everyone,,,,,not just the old guys,,,,,,everyone hurled insults .
    Then,,,,,a few changes were implemented,,,and it got a little more civilized.

And besides,,isn’t that human nature,,,,,you always have a pecking order,,,,it just works out that way .
    Just like those DI,s in the Marine corps,,,,,mean as all get out,,,,,but in the end,,,,they are your friends and buddy’s.
    It just takes time,,,,,and growing into it .

Tommy

loudbang, Hnstray, rc57 and 2 others like this.
  17. Young guys complaining about old guys is as lame as old guys complaining about young guys.

jimmy six, 1oldtimer, D-Russ and 12 others like this.
    seb fontana and Deuces like this.
  19. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

20. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

My oldest son is a chef and is into motorcycles and is quite handy working on his bikes. My now 15 year old helps me on my 36 coupe so the passion needs to be passed down from us to our families. We need to create the future just my opinion

Deuces likes this.
  21. I live in a College Town, with a mix of students and age 80+ retirees. Neither interested in old cars. OT 4 wheel drive trucks seem to dominate the surrounding rural areas. Will our hobby die out? I dunno, but it seems it will dwindle.

Deuces likes this.
  22. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I didn't see this thread until today 'cause I was in the garage with my sons stuffing a transmission into my oldest sons Bronco.

23. 34Larry

34Larry

Hi Trevorsworth, I have not a clue as to what young folks in Texas are into, but here in Washington it ain't the 30's, 40's or 50's nor the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. They are into modern foreign crap. (My own grandson (28) just traded a Lexis for a 350 Nission).
    My observations are based on what I see them driving, how many show up at any of the car shows, what I see when buying for my ride at swap meets/auto stores.
    I applauded with gusto your posting and am encouraged that there are according to you more of your persuasion where you live.
    I sense some serious pent up frustration with us "old boys", and perhaps rightfully so, but here where I park my ride, if I were to witness the enthusiasm I and my buddies had back in our day, in todays youngsters like we had, you can bet the attitude you describe in us old farts would more than likely be much different.
    Respect of any interest in life comes from being involved and wanting to learn and being involved. What I'm trying to say and doing a piss poor job of it is, it ain't happening in the older generations hot rod/custom compulsive and dedicated hobby, by and from the folks under 30.

LSJUNIPER, warbird1 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. I've seen this discussion many times before and it always makes me look back on where I was when I was starting out, and how my opinions have evolved and my knowledge base has grown. Even posting this I've typed, deleted, and retyped my thoughts a few times. In the end all I will say is if you truly love and enjoy something, I feel like it's only natural to want to share it and pass it along to the next generation. Maybe a lot of guys are into this for the wrong reasons. I don't think anybody has the answers.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Oh good, I thought it was just me.... Lol.

Man, I don't care how old or young anyone is, as long as you like cars and tools. My wife and son went to the hardware store with me last night. I had to drag my kid out of the tool isle, and he was pissed off because I wouldn't buy him a mallet. I said 'what on earth do you need a mallet for?' and he said 'to help you dad!'. And that little chit is always next to me while I work on anything, I'll give him that. He already told me when I get old, he is taking over the shoebox. 6 and he knows it's a shoebox. Proud dad here...

Guy Patterson, wraymen and Tman like this.
  26. Wait, what, there is an old guy that knows a place to get an interior done for $2000...did you get the name and phone number?

Kidding...you raise good points and concerns. I recall the same discussion been going on 30-40 years. I keep waiting for the prices of '32 coupes and roadsters to drop like stones 'cause nobody wants them anymore.

Tman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. People of all ages forget old cars are supposed to be fun

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. adam401

adam401

A little back round. I'm 44 and have been a car guy my whole life. Got my first car at 13 and started building my first hot rod at 22 or 23. Took me a few years to get it on the road.
    A few thoughts on the original post and replies:

Nobody had to instill a passion for hot rods in me. Its something I saw and had to do. I wasnt mentored into it I sought it out. I feel like thats an important distinction. The idea so often brought up that parading cars around is gonna grow the hobby in any meaningful way I believe is false.

The idea that its my job to ensure the existance of hot rodding for future generations or owe it to the hot rodders of the past to keep their legacy alive is bullshit. The guys that came before me were car guys who wanted to make their jalopies fast and thrash them. I dont believe they were worried if I would see value in their cars or efforts decades later. They were living in the present. I too am living in the present with no regard for preserving the value of my cars or worrying if anyone will care for them in the future.

Lastly theres tons of younger guys into the hobby. Theyre building shit and making it happen.
    Will this hobby go away? Of course it will. There was a time where thousands of dudes in Rome knew the name of the guy who built the fastest fuckin chariots on earth. And those chariots cost huge money. Do you know that guys name? Me neither.

29. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I got my A pickup in pieces ( missing a lot) when I was 13, I’m 58 now. Years ago dealt with the restorers at the swap meets who won’t sell you parts because you’re building a Hot Rod. Have always been one of the younger ones at all of the Street Rod meets, there were no traditional shows in the 80’s. None of my friends were into cars that old, one of my bothers friends was into 50’s cars. I have a younger guy at work who comes over and helps on projects. Was at Woodward cruise one year with my cousin and his kids, we were heading back to his place and his one son wanted to ride in the 31. He had recently gotten his permit, so I told him then you drive it, he had a smile ear to ear. The attitude in the other thread B-O-R-I-N-G is what we don’t need, don’t care if it’s a glass car or whatever the whole point is to create interest in younger people, get their first car and next thing they’ll be looking for the next project.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1971BB427 likes this.
  30. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I have been a car guy all my life & that is a long time as will soo be 83. neither of my sons shows any interest in doing anything except driving modern rides. Same for grandsons. Guess all my stuff will be sold in a garage sale when I go. In our local antique car club the youngest is probably in their 40's.
    You being in Weatherford isn't that where there is half a car sticking out of a store front. I also recall a car museam/cafe there and have visited it on a vintage Chevy tour several years ago.
    There also used to be half a Model T shicking out a store front in Giddings Texas but they have closed and that hole is walled up now.
    Glad to see you are enjoying the hobby. Jimmie