Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical carburetor backfire concerns

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pull toy, May 2, 2021.

1. pull toy

pull toy

As you know the engine in a COE is enclosed in an inaccessible engine space under the passenger seat. I have long been concerned with engine backfire and inability to control it. Does anyone have knowledge or opinion on installing a marine flame arrester on the carb to prevent this disaster. Do they filter the air, do they require maintenance and do they have a life span of usefulness etc.

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I've never had backfire through the carburetor without a serious defect in engine tuning. But I suppose it is a cause for concern in a marine environment, even if remote.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vacuum leak..

4. Budget36

Budget36

I recall some sort of thing the VW guys use that disperses some chemical to deprive oxygen or smother out a fire.
    I’ve no experience using it, just recall a discussion about it years ago on SAMBA.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Marine flame arrestors, at least the old kind that we might steal for use on our vintage engines, have metal fins to keep the bugs and chunks out. They don't have any paper filtering material. Not a lot of dust out on the lake to contend with.

6. pull toy

pull toy

I know the carb backfire is remote but as things age anything is possible so in abundance of caution, under my conditions, any additional protection would be wise.

loudbang likes this.
  7. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

As far as I know fire usually isn't even a problem when engines backfire into oil bath cleaners. Metal containers and limited air supply, hard to keep a fire going in there with the engine off and with the engine on the air flow will probably blow it out anyway.
    May be a bigger issue with modern foam filters w/o a housing around, some of those go up in flames.

8. 8CCEF3B7-B871-4B85-94B4-8E521520AFDB.jpeg 37237DCA-C129-4C1A-9196-E73FB731FD9B.jpeg

Forklifts, heavy equipment etc use anti backfire air filters.
    Most are this style, I think this can easily work for your COE project.

the schematic shown has a duel inner and out air filter for really dusty /dirty application.

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. spanners

spanners

I just hit the starter and let the engine suck the flame into the cylinders.

RMR&C, Bob Lowry and Mimilan like this.
  11. pull toy

pull toy

12. pull toy

pull toy

Had an interesting conversation with a tech rep from K&N Filters today. As you may know they produce the high quality flame arrester filters for Coast Guard approved marine applications. I discussed with him my tight engine compartment arrangement and my concern about back fire hazards. He explained, as we know, gasoline requires oxygen to burn and if it has that you cannot put it out. He also explained their marine fire arrester filter would not burn but would smoother the fire lone enough hopefully it would extinguish it's self. This marine element has a cotton gauze material which is red in color and has had much research developing the product. The reason now for this long post is that all of K&N's filters according to him, weather labeled fire arrester or not, are made using this same element material, no exceptions. They are pricy but at the least are far more safer than the standard paper filters we all are using now. I have ordered a K&N 60-1280 for my 454 not believing it is the end all cure but at least an improvement. Thanks for the input received.

VANDENPLAS, loudbang and panhead_pete like this.