Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods B-O-R-I-N-G

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, May 4, 2021.

1. alchemy

alchemy

Mr. Coilover, what's more boring than restoring a car to stock? Don't criticize your nephew, at least he is making some parts himself (the whole body, even if it is fiberglass).

I wouldn't mind seeing some tech of building a fiberglass body. Hey Coilover, get your nephew to do a Tech Week thread.

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The plot thickens. This is some damn good entertainment.

3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Nice work. I still don't feel it entitles you to deride your nephew, or anyone else in the hobby. I thought it was about building and working on cars? It is for me. I'm not judgemental after that. After I find out you're a car enthusiast, I'm good. I don't care if you scratch built it, or bought it, or even if you change your own oil... I may not take mechanical advice from you if you don't, but I won't run you down. It's juvenillle.

TCATTC and Tman like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Odd post for sure. Many like to toss shade at 1-800-Hotrod parts online. Maybe @coilover will explain a bit more, but he did say in his last reply about “turning the reins over...” so maybe a business issue/ difference of opinion?
    Also, I have no factual data to back this up, but think there are more folks who are able to buy a vehicle, than spend time and years searching and building one. Might be the nephews target crowd he’s looking for and the previous regimen doesn’t approve?

hotrodjack33 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. At the end of the day, making glass bodies is still a skill. I'd be happy as hell to learn that skill even if I never used it.

While I don't have a dog in this fight, I will say that at least Mr. Coil instilled a work ethic in his nephew and a desire/love of the hobby. Well done!

twenty8 likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO..."don't" not "doesn't"...and "depends" should be capitalized, it's a brand name.

Just a little ass-bustin' from an old timer.;):p:D

8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grinning to myself here, I wonder what the hourly rate for " Tutelage " is these days ? Is there a discount for H.A.M.B. Alliance members ?

TWAINS MOTTO.JPG

9. Probably not. The nephew works for him and learned from I suspect.

Ben

10. How about one of these?
    P1010351.JPG

fauj, Chavezk21, 210superair and 3 others like this.
  11. Ah, well, Evan, we can not win them all. "Pearls before the swine" comes to mind. How is your ['34 ? ] coming along?

Ben

12. 0A2B80B6-92F1-40F8-9DF7-858C498D48BE.gif

seems about right for this thread.

where’s the hippo boat to save us !!

13. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like pancakes...
    bunny2.jpg

VANDENPLAS and SDhotrod like this.
  15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My pancake has a hare on it:eek::(

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

17. IMHO, Honda's & Toyota' s are boring nothing about hot rods have ever been boring HRP

18. indyjps

indyjps

I'd like to see the glass bodies, finished or coming out of the mold, how theyre assembled.

I may never buy a glass body but the process is interesting to me. Wait, If I keep living in the midwest, I may buy a glass body :D

19. twenty8

twenty8

Time some realised that there are more people out there that want a '32 roadster than there are original '32 roadsters to be had. Also true of other makes and models. Anyone that can't see that business opportunity ought not be in business. Go for it, nephew. It's nice to think that they could all be traditional originals, but that will never be the case. I would take a 'glass one over not having one at all. Still cool. Although, real ones are just so much cooler.........;):rolleyes:

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  20. LOL

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  21. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s a good thing I’m as stubborn as any of you old bastards because there’s nothing more off putting to this hobby than watching crotchety boomers rant about “those damn kids”. The HAMB is pretty supportive all round but even still a lot of people here and a lot more elsewhere really need to rethink their attitudes if they want hot rodding to make it to the next generation, or all these cars will be paperclips when the grim reaper’s finished his rounds.

22. Not being a great welder or sheet metal shaper, I would love to have the finances to build a kit car. Would it be an awesome "Henry steel" classic? Oh, hell no, but everything would be new from the ground up, and there's something to be said for that...
    (I also like helping my boys with their Legos!)

23. TCATTC

TCATTC

If everybody had the same taste in cars where would our hobby be?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  24. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

25. Stick one of these into your hot rod but only if you wanna go way too fast.
    74BCA454-8330-4EE8-BC48-0C677DC81ED9.jpeg

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I personally think that anyone who is out putting a car together is doing something good. It doesn't matter to me if his skills and tools require he buys a lot of made to order parts, or if he's a top notch fabricator who can make every little part he needs. Either way they're building a car, and that's better than simply buying one someone else built.
    I do my own builds, and because of self imposed budget limitations I love fabricating whatever I can, or adapting parts to fit my builds. But I don't put down others for buying parts that make things easier for them to do their build. And I sure wouldn't put down a family member for what they build.

TCATTC likes this.
  27. RMONTY

RMONTY

Coilover's shop is at the end of the county road I live off of. Just about everytime I go to town, I pass by his shop which is only a mile from the house here. I will say there are some damn fine looking hotrods that come out of that shop. Rock on Coilover! And your nephew too! Is he the big red headed fellow I have seen in there from time to time?

28. Unpopular opinion time: Fact: 32 Fords ARE boring.

They're boring because everybody and their sister's hairdresser now has one. Can't throw a rock in SoCal without hitting one. They've been WAY over popularized because apparently everyone wants to relive a youth they never had.

HOWEVER... skill, tallent, and motivation AREN'T boring. And, unlike '32 Fords, you can't find that in every shop or upper middle class garage. Things could always be worse. Your nephew could be a meth head, but instead he chose to help keep the hobby alive.

Looks almost like you're the reason he's in the hobby in the first place. It sure seems like he admires and looks up to you and maybe deserves more than a berating in front of people he doesn't know. Shame on you for that, OP.

29. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Will there be an electric version available for the fruit heads

fauj likes this.
  30. GenX here and most of us were slamming the "boomer" not the youngin