Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage I'll vote for your car if you vote for mine...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, May 2, 2021.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Had,..............emphases on had, a friend that walked up to a young lady who had just received a plaque for best AMX in show, (well deserved) and shouted out loudly, "That should have been my car"!!!!!!!!!
    Pretty embarrassing for me since he was with me, and that was the last time for that.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

I got best in show trophy the same way . because it started to pour and my rear tires were super wide and sucked in the rain , so i just sat in my car and waited for the rain to stop . got out hung out for a while to let the roads dry and won The show LOL

Deuces likes this.
  3. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

Another time at a show I got a trophy as I walked off stage I saw a kid that was hanging around my car and asking me a bunch of questions about my car during the day , so i gave him the trophy i never seen a Smile that big before

j3harleys, 40FORDPU, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  4. Here's an idea. Take the trophy and sell it to one of the whiners that thought they deserved it. 100 bucks should do it.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old Rusty isn't much of a show truck and I'm pretty much of an old curmudgeon so I only go to one show a year. That's a Fourth of July show put on by a local church. Its a family friendly event. Lots of kids. Everyone is free to climb all over, sit in, or otherwise enjoy my truck. When you register they ask if you want to be judged or no and of course I'm definite NO.

hotrodlane likes this.
  6. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

It is always nice when they give you something for all the work it takes to build something... But after I retired and being on a limited budget I don't do shows anymore.... I never went for the the trophies just to see friends and other builds... No one should have to pay to have people come and look at the cars....

2OLD2FAST, Deuces and little red 50 like this.
  7. Every situation is unique and different. Someone may be jonesing for their first trophy after entering a dozen or more car shows. They may be overly influenced by other trophy whores that they've fallen in with. Maybe they're showing Grandpa's old car and a trophy would validate the deceased love one, so for them, it's an emotional thing. There are a lot of possible scenarios.
    But are some owners genuine dicks and deserve to be shunned? You bet! So separate the sheep from the goats.
    If you personally have arrived at a position of lofty ideals and can distance yourself above the unwashed zombies, that's great and probably the best attitude to have. Chances are it took you a while to arrive there. And chances are that some others who aren't there at the moment will arrive there too, someday.
    Have fun. However, as things stand, car shows are a competition, so go to your respective corners, and no punching below the belt. :p

Deuces, 51504bat and Just Gary like this.
  8. I'm in the "my car is not nice enough to win a trophy" camp. I've never won a trophy, and I likely never will. I don't much care either way. But when people pass up a car way nicer than mine to come check mine out, that's cooler than any trophy to me. I never have the nicest car at any show or cruise, but it's honest and it looks like something the average Joe could build himself. I can tell you about every nut and bolt in my car. I think that resonates with a lot of people and they really seem to dig it.

9. Gabby

Gabby

Had a club member that would put out all kinds of crap around his car at any and all car shows, cry babies, coon tail, signs, fake food on the window tray. Once at a show I put a bowling trophy in with the rest of the crap. I guess he noticed when he put that crap away. Time to do it again..

10. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

When I was a young man I thought getting a trophy was pretty cool. After time I saw that most participant voting was a popularity contest or a few of the top cars not getting trophies out of jealousy. About 10 year ago I threw all of my plaques and trophies in the dumpster. Now if I do enter a show I never put my number on the car so no one can vote on it.

2OLD2FAST and Petejoe like this.
  11. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I laugh at the owners that transport every trophy that they ever won and position them around their car. This does two things. First it tells the judges, "look how many trophies my car has won, so I deserve another trophy" and second "if I don't win a trophy, you (the judges) don't know what you are doing".

12. Have a big box full of trophies in the attic collecting dust, haven't seen them in more than a decade!

It may sound funny, but I love the little dash plaques you get just for showing up. I look at them from time to time & still have everyone I ever got all the way back to 1980!

Several times I have seen some idiot who did not win a trophy go around & look at the cars that beat him out, then tell anyone who will listen that his car is way better & actually pick apart the other persons cars! That takes all the fun out of the day for me. I love shows for 2 simple reasons... One more place I can see my friends, I get to look at other builds & get ideas for custom touches that I might incorporate into a build I am doing!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was standard Street rods of San Antonio procedure at rod runs in the mid 70's. They often took 25 to 20 cars to a Texas rod run and pooled their votes.
    Then there were a couple of groups and a few individuals that called around the state (Texas) to see who was going to which event and would plan to go to the that they though they could get an award at.

I'd say that about 90 percent of new to rodding or customs guys roll into the first event they enter their ride in checking out the other rides that they think might be competition for an award at. I've seen some seriously deflated egos at a few when guys all the sudden figured out that their car was not going to be in the running for an award and saw a guy pack his family up and leave once while telling his wife that he didn't think he had a chance of a trophy so he wasn't staying.

After we had moved back to Washington we went back to Texas on vacation and had a guy at a Texas event in 1981 cry to the club that put the event on that I shouldn't get the long distance award for the show because I had been in Texas for two weeks and that was the third rod run I was at. Then my buddy explained to him that I had driven further from his house that morning than the whiner lived from the event. Even If I didn't get the award my buddy would have. He said it was mine because I had been parked on the far side of his driveway from the event.

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

My sentiments exactly !

jimmy six and hemihotrod66 like this.
  15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Might Also mean they have a real small member ..

twenty8 likes this.
  16. twenty8

twenty8

Now there's a trophy I would like to see handed out............shit, I'll sponsor it.........:D:D:D