Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods B-O-R-I-N-G

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, May 4, 2021.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Nephew has molds for T-bucket, 32 Roadster, 34 3w Coupe, and decided to do a spec 32 for display. After watching assembly I think it would be more interesting to watch ice melt.
    Frame rails: American Stamping
    Cross members: Speedway
    Spreader bars: Speedway
    COMPLETE suspension: Chinese (hair pins, dropped I-beam with holes, steering box, shocks & mounts, springs, drag link/tie rod, etc etc all stainless or chrome).
    Engine: 8BA w/2 carbs, finned heads, stainless headers, Vertex, (Barf)

Why don't they just call it a Lego kit as truth in advertising. The absolutely LAST thing of any interest is another 32 roadster. Might take a whole week to snap the Lego kit together so the traditionalists can "swoon" over it.

TA DAD, 504640, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  2. clem

clem

possibly a breach in intellectual property rights........calling it a ‘Lego’ kit ?
    Hope that answers your question ?
    So do we get to see a build thread ?

fauj, chryslerfan55, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  3. karl share

karl share

I wonder if any of the Chinesium front end parts are cast, could spell disaster.:eek::eek::eek:

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It sounds like it is for DISPLAY for his company. Sure it will get used but he wanted something that he could put together quickly because as a business owner. You have limited time. So, what have you built. Did you cast your own Legos on a 3- D printer.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

To each their own, Good Luck to your nephew with his business, Sadly I gather not much help/support from you. Our car hobby is very large/diverse, that what makes it so attractive to so many IMO. Post up some pics of your cars, notice you have no albums/pictures, curious to see your not boring cars. There's a unwritten rule here, no pictures, it never happened.

6. Give the Nephew some credit for his entrepreneurial spirit. After all of these years, I still find '32 Roadsters interesting.

7. George

George

At least it didn't have a bellybutton engine...

Spooky, Texas57, warbird1 and 9 others like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

So what have YOU done?

9. ............Why such negativity toward your nephew? I take it he's not your favorite nephew!o_O

10. Deuces

Deuces

11. X-cpe

X-cpe

If it is for display, what is a more quintessential image of a hot rod than a 32 roadster?

56don, lurker mick, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  12. Sounds cooler than the 32 Roadster I have...

13. 34Phil

34Phil

There is a lot no one thinks about that consume a fair amount of time. How many of you have figured you would mount the entire driveline today and come in at the end of the day to show off the alternator mount you just made? It's not as simple as tab A in slot B.

swade41, Deuces, X-cpe and 3 others like this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hopefully at 84 he’s done something.
    I can cut him a tiny bit of slack on his grumpy old man can’t sleep early morning post :D
    But just a really tiny bit.

His nephew is doing something for the future of hot rodding even if mr coil doesn’t seem to understand or approve or appreciate it.

He could be into hopping up Honda civics or other rice tuner type stuff but he isn’t.

Butler 32, fauj, 56don and 9 others like this.
  15. j3harleys

j3harleys

Their isn't very many 32 fords That I don't love, some more than others. It may not be the one for you, BUT hey it isn't for you! And he is building a car, Good on him.

16. I’d drive it.
    (After a real axle swap)

I guess when ford built em it was the same boring process.

but the idea of helping a younger person work with cars sounds like fun to me no matter if they’re glass repros or new rides.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Joe Travers, 56don, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  17. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I think 1937 Buicks are boring

18. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

So, anyone that doesn't like what you like is wrong?

Deuces and TCATTC like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

I like old hot rods.

A new glass formula 32 doesn't do much for me, either.

alanp561, 504640, Texas57 and 10 others like this.
  20. millersgarage

millersgarage

these days, A flathead is becoming a bellybutton engine....

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Since your Nephew has made a display unit for spec, why don't you tag along to a few shows/swap meets with him and see first hand what people's reactions and comments are? You could do it officially as a booth working T shirt wearing proprietor or incognito and eavesdrop on the comments. Give the kid a hand by coming up with a plus/delta report at the end of the day as he's obviously looking to make a living at this. What are their likes/dislikes on the components of the "starter kit"? I'll bet a few will ask if his shop is available to build out the kit into a roller or runner if they buy from him. You should have pre-canned answers as far as suspension component alternatives/options. Also, info on titling the car in TX as well as surrounding States that someone may hail from.

What's boring to you/us may be just the ticket for someone else. Ass for every seat. You may find interest comes from young/middle aged individuals looking to enter (or re-enter) the hobby with a "head start" on a build up project. Maybe they don't have the knowledge, tools, time or garage space to do a rust up build from nothing.
    Maybe their 2nd or 3rd project after this will be a traditional Hot Rod build. New, enthusiastic Hot Rodder's are a good thing. And they may be a bit younger than us and be more inclined to drive their cars to shows and roam around (like a lot of us used to do) and not just fold out a chair and sit.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    alanp561, twenty8, Sandgroper and 8 others like this.
  22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I dunno man, I get what you're saying, but snapping a hot rod together that quick with no metal repair sounds super fun and appealing to me. I'd be inclined to skip the HG Chinesium gear though for sure.

23. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Sometimes I dream of doing a build like this. It seems I always do it the hard way with so much custom built stuff, expensive hard to find parts, countless hours making stuff work. It takes forever, and motivation wanes. The lego kit approach might be fun for a change.

rbrewer, patmanta, traffic61 and 3 others like this.
  24. So everyone goes crazy about a Speedway kit as well? Chinese parts? Folks, let me tell you that you it is very hard to buy anything made out of metal that is not from China or India. Look at where all those crankshafts come from and the stroker kits from some big name companies. More than 80% are cast in China. A very big percentage of Snap On tools are now from China. When I was at Chrysler our special tools were from Miller and USA made, now again, China. Original metal 32 Fords are really cool but very hard come by and expensive. So a kid gets a fiberglass body and a kit frame and builds a car. at least he has an interest in the look and experience of a 32 Ford. If no one has any interest in a 32 anything anymore your vintage tin will be worth nothing because there will be no one to buy it! Don't be so quick to judge, look at what the Cobra kit cars did to that market, the original cars price went to the moon! I don't have to like it but I don't look down on any body that has the ambition to build a hot rod and drive the shit out of it. Welcome to the club!

25. One time I moved the switch over too far on my alarm clock. Instead of waking up to soothing music at a volume I had set the night before, I woke up to a horrid, blaring alarm sound .... I literally jumped out of bed, kicked some clothes on the floor, stomped out of the room and slammed the door. (wife was NOT impressed). I honestly couldn't believe how instantly angry I was, all over some stupid noise. It took me a while to calm down.

Hope you feel better soon.

26. You would be surprised what HE has done. Been building since before most of you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye.

Ben

Deuces likes this.
  27. Good for the nephew. At least he isn't a debbie downer like the OP and actually getting after it.

28. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

That reminds me of back in the late eighties or early nineties there was a company that produced T-buckets. Can't remember their name but at the Detroit Autorama they had these two women who would take apart and reassemble the T-bucket throughout the weekend. They were good looking women and if I recall one's name was Gina I talked to and they both worked for the company. They were featured on the cover of Street Rodder Magazine back then. The idea was to show that even a woman could put one together and these two women would put it together like a jig saw puzzle and without breaking a finger nail. It was almost a joke to watch. No grease, no muss, no fuss and they looked bored a hell doing it. They might as well been putting together a piece furniture from Ikea and I wondered what one of them would have said had someone asked what gear ratio the rear end had.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  29. millersgarage

millersgarage

pitman, jim snow, seb fontana and 3 others like this.
  30. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

yup - Mickey Lauria, Total performance - those girls were his daughters - either one of them would have known the ratio and type......

pitman, jim snow, ramblin dan and 6 others like this.