Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Potential AMBR contender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frames, May 3, 2021.

1. Frames

Frames

Build inspired by 50's hot rods with track noses. Bill Niekamp, Dick Flint and Eddie Dye. That's before a belly button 32 with a $30,000.00 paint job could win AMBR. Color is Joe Nitti dark purple. Unfinished. Color, doors and hood photo shop added. Been sitting 5 years. Working on other projects. img071.jpg img092 - Copy.jpg img091 - Copy - Copy.jpg img094.jpg img093.jpg img092.jpg p1010058_0020_0091.jpg p1010062_0021_0095.jpg 2003-12-31 23.00.00-20.jpg 2003-12-31 23.00.00-22.jpg

2. Frames

Frames

I forgot to mention the Jacky Howerton AMBR. One of the best if not the best. Too bad the current owner screwed up a perfect car with a number on the side.

loudbang likes this.
  3. patsurf

patsurf

you DIDN'T even need to fake in the doors--that is sensational!!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. I like the plan a lot. Track nose and hood sides look nice.

loudbang likes this.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Liked it way, way better in bare aluminum like Jacky built it!

6. Just so you know the rules state you cannot show any pictures anywhere or at any time to the public if competing for that class until a couple of days before the show starts. So if you are serious you might want to delete this thread.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and K13 like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That can’t be true. Cory Taulbert’s car was in magazines before he made his run and in recent memory historical cars have tried for it as well.

maybe your thinking about the tight rules around the riddler? Which also seem to have gotten fuzzy

8. Seems to me pics of this build have been posted here before.... Looked exactly the same.

X38 and loudbang like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well if it’s been sitting for five years that seems plausible

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Riddler cars have to be kept under tight wraps with no exposure before they are put on display in competition for the award. Last I read an AMBR competitor just had to be shown for the first time in competition at the show in the competition for the award. Still a big part of showing for the award is usually your unveiling the car at the show when you roll it out of the trailer to be seen in finished state for the first time.

I've taken a bunch of photos of three different AMBR contenders and the attention to detail is unreal. It is easy to see where the big money is on the cars that are built by the big name shops that have a 100 an hour plus shop rate. Just the hours involved in smoothing out the outside of the flathead block on Russ Freund’s “Takeout T” Would probably cost 10K in one of those big shops with who knows how many hours of making it smooth enough so it looks like a piece of very high dollar porcelain rather than an engine block. It still takes the hours invested to have a competitive car but it is either your or your buddie's volunteer hours or paid for hours.

That looks like a great plan for a spectacular car I hope you carry though with it.

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

There's no rule about showing pictures of an AMBR contender ahead of time. I saw Howertons roadster several times in pictures, also at Louisville when it was first started and at So-Cal's open house during the LARS. Lots of AMBR contenders have been seen in advance. I think it's the Riddler contenders that have to kept under wraps? Frames, you need to finish the roadster and test the water.

12. I Love this car, but the huge radial tires really stick out like a sore thumb. Tires that fit the overall look of the car would put it over the top. Not trying to bash, I really do like it.

teach'm, SDhotrod, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  13. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Frames not only do I love this car I love all the cars you build. No cookie cuter cars here. (Frames)

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  14. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

bee u ti ful

loudbang likes this.
  15. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Nice choice on the Plymouth speedometer with the color changing speedometer needle, cluster fits the dash really nice.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It was displayed at the 50th GNRS, as a chassis, with minor sheet metal. Perhaps the most unique, and finest craftsmanship I have seen in a HOTROD.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

18. jim snow

jim snow

Very nice. Thanks for the photos. Snowman

19. Frames

Frames

The reason the Plymouth cluster fits so well is because the dash is Plymouth narrowed 5". Eliminating the radio on the left of the center grille and the ash tray on the right. Metal work on the very ends also required for a nice fit.

20. Frames

Frames

A rod builder has expressed interest in finishing it and entering it in the LARS. I think it takes a shop with several employees. I think he is going have to come up with a buyer with lots of money. Who pays the bills when you are putting in thousands of man hours for a flawless AMBR?

21. Frames

Frames

I don't consider the tires huge. By the way. The rear tires did not look good on 8" or on 10" wheels so I narrowed the rears to 9". Now the front and rear side walls are a near perfect match. I think that is called attention to detail. PS; I hate narrow wheels and tires.

22. Frames

Frames

Yes it is exactly the same except for a LOT of dust. I did have a very detailed build thread on here from the frame up. Maybe it was more than 5 years ago.

23. Like it.....

loudbang likes this.
  24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, when I win the Lottery, we gotta talk.;)

loudbang likes this.
  25. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

RIDLER.
    Not Riddler. This is not about a comic strip.

26. Love your "A" it's a winner. Please replace the modern windshield with a traditional 28/29 Model "A" one. The one on there just doesn't make it. JW

27. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Beautiful rod. Congrats.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

While the windshield isn't "traditional" it looks great to me on this build!

loudbang likes this.
  29. Frames

Frames

A great big thank you guys for ALL the comments. Even a couple of stupid ones. IE; Fat tires. 28 windshield posts. UGH!