Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Back to the fifty’s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Apr 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Since the other thread got closed... and I don’t think it was anything I said...I wanted to continue with my concept of moving the show permanently to BIR in Brainerd. No politics from me - just facts.

Who owns the fairgrounds? Do they need our support? I think not. Do they deserve our money? Definitely not. Would you like a reason? How about doing a little research about how they treated their police officers. Are you aware that they very recently fired several elderly officers because they lacked a 4 year degree? Yes, it’s true. This is not biased, nor political. The fairgrounds decide d to implement a 4 year degree clause to any and all police officers that worked for them. Instead of grandfathering in the existing members, they friggin’ fired them! Apparently in the old days you could become an officer with a 2 year degreee, but times have changed (um yeah they have!). Maybe someone with a bit of law enforcement background could explain it better, but the fact remains that the fairgrounds decided to lay-off these older police officers. Absolutely sick, if you ask me.
    Now let’s talk about BIR...
    You all know the young owner DIED in a terrible drowning accident witin the past couple of years, right? His wife was left to try her best to carry on through such a difficult time. Then the pandemic hit and the “fastest”? track in the USA had to cancel the NHRA nationals.
    Who in their right mind would want to continue to support Falcon Heights? Does anyone really want to go there? It is NOT a vacation destination. Brainerd is. Brainerd needs us. I work right next to the fairgrounds. I work for the U of M, both campuses. I’m in the neighborhood everyday for the last several years. It’s not the same. It’s not safe. People get shot as early as 7pm on Cedar and Riverside. They used to wait until the sun went down. They don’t anymore. It’s time to move the show. The metro area is crap. I drove through while it was on fire / literally.
    I don’t think I broke any political rules. Did I mention they have a drag strip in Brainerd?:rolleyes:

2. ken bogren

ken bogren

Spectators ... how many from the metro will drive from the cities to BIR to see the show? I'm guessing a lot less than hit the show at the fairgrounds.

Which brings it down to dollars.

Can the show work with what would likely be a lot less income?

bill gruendeman and loudbang like this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I live in northern Iowa I'll drive to St. Paul for a show, Brainerd I don't think so. I'm sure that Back to the 60s draws from all the surrounding states because now it's centrally located in Minnesota but change that and drop the draw from a large percentage of Iowans that went in the past. Same with Wisconsin.

das858 and loudbang like this.
  4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

With the current 10,000 person limitation on crowd size the show could be moved anywhere in the state and the same rules apply. No more than 10,000 fans can attend a Twins game and that's in Minneapolis.

5. BJR

BJR

The MSRA is located in the cities, and thats where most of the volunteers who make the show work live. BIR is just too far away from the Msra base.

bill gruendeman likes this.
  6. Dave1946

Dave1946

I think this is a state wide set of rules, so moving from one place in the state to another place in the same state wouldn’t change anything. Nobody likes what’s happening here but it doesn’t look like it’s gonna change. MSRA is certainly not at fault. Might as well just let it go and look forward to next year. That is, till they open the state fair and welcome a million people to the same venue.

golferforpar and Chucky like this.
  7. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

W/o getting into Poli-tics (many evil bloodsucking creatures), there is also the issue of where to house ~12,000 entrants (cars, & ~ 2 people/car) during the event. & of course, the crazy # of spectators - which help to cover costs+ I'm thinking are needed for a profitable event. I'm thinking Brainerd isn't going to be able to handle that - unless near everyone in town opts-in to becoming a short-term B&B. Which isn't a bad idea. Although that doesn't solve the political problem. However, if MSRA wants a better venue - & Chucky isn't wrong about the area - the closest place to start looking is: South Dakota. Which opens up a very large can-o-worms. Although I'd guess that the SD statefair lands area would present a lot of similar issues, & more besides, other than the lack of crowd# limitations. I'm also guessing that MSRA has signed long-term future contracts w/the MN statefair mgmt, & it would be prohibitively expensive to get out of. Realize that BTt50s draws #'s like the NSRA Streetrod Nats. There just aren't many locations in the US, much less in or near MN, that can fill the actual needs - no matter how much support they are worthy of. Don't see an easy way out of this w/current situation. Too bad, really. Haha... maybe regional-style mini BTt50s in smaller towns, limiting event #'s to 10K. Interesting headache...
    Marcus...

8. I would attend a show in Brainerd.

9. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I would attend Brainard, or St. Paul again, but not South Dakota. The Minnesota Fairgrounds is an awesome venue imo, it's just to bad the the surrounding cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul are rapidly becoming unsafe, un-policed, third world shitholes.

10. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

What's in S. Dakota for a car show?

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Desmoines Goodguys 4th of July Weekend is going to be nuts.

Dan Hay and Chucky like this.
  12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

This is the obvious answer to me. I have family and friends in the Brainerd area, but even so I'm wouldn't be likely to attend as a spectator if it was held there.

As for holding it in Iowa or South Dakota - it's the Minnesota Street Rod Association.

13. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

If there were a venue in the Mason City/Clear lake area of Iowa, it would be the ideal place in a "free" state. It's not that far from the Twin Cities and I know there used to be Iowans that were MSRA members.

Gary

14. BJR

BJR

Look at the name. MINNESOTA Street Rod Association.

golferforpar likes this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see that you are not making any snap judgements on this.

16. There are several. I have actually been planning another event for a while. For several years we did the HAMB n Hog Rendevous during Sturgis. Bikes and hot rods

17. From a safety & security observation with Minneapolis having gone to a ignore people who loot rob & steal to anti-law enforcement position raises concerns. Major concern for everyone to worry about whether you are a spectator who might get mugged walking over to the fairgrounds. Or staying in Minneapolis area with your car and some people like those that were seen on tv jumping on a cars roof like a trampoline. As far as a Minnesota car club name - it's a name. Like when Montana Tractors were really built in Arkansas. Mapquest shows Brainerd to be 134 miles from St. Paul Fairgrounds. Nothing wrong with a Minnesota group holding Back To the 50's in a safer city or state like Iowa. No matter how you look at it - Chucky brings up something for people to give some thought to.

Kato Kings and loudbang like this.
  18. And the venue at BIR is pretty damn cool with tons of fun drives around the area

19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Don't believe everything you may hear...life pretty much goes on as normal for the vast majority of people living in the Twin Cities area.

bill gruendeman and hemihotrod66 like this.
  20. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

& don't believe everything you read, even on here. Mpls, St.Paul, n at least the 1st-ring suburbs aren't exactly bastions of calm sweet Paradise. If you don't know, there are "no-go zones". You might not be a happy camper if you n wife/girlfriend/child happen to find yourself(s) in one. I n wife work near some, & I'm happy to get into, & the hell out of, work, in 1-undamaged piece. Is it as bad as LA, Chicago, NYC? Probably not, it's all rather relative, but I don't know - as I won't venture into those areas. Having to occasionally venture into the local abyss(es) for work-related activities, is not a comforting event. I, & wifey, don't go down there for the fkn joy of it. Will I go to the BTt50s IF it ever again becomes "allowed"? Yes. BIR, Iowa, SD? Hell yes - no different than attending some other NSRA/etc out-of-town car-event, wtf, I'm 50 miles out now, other than motels, nbd. But you watch where you are, where you stay, eat, etc. Society has changed, not for the better, esp for those who wish to mind their own business, not cause trouble, & be left the hell alone.
    Marcus...

loudbang likes this.
  21. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Sure, there are parts of town you should stay away from but just like in any large city it's always been that way...it's not like the whole place has turned into some kind of post-apocalyptic setting from the movies. The average person attending BTT50s from elsewhere is going to be at the fairgrounds or at their hotel somewhere out in the suburbs, or on the highway between the two. They'll be in more danger of getting in a fender bender than anything else.

Even if they do make a wrong turn somewhere and go down the 'wrong' street it's pretty unlikely they'll be hunted down and captured or anything crazy like that. Unless they stop and get out and do something dumb, I doubt they'll get more than a few odd looks from the residents of that street.

22. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Stuart is spot on. This thread is turning into a bunch of whining from scared old white guys. Time to close it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.