Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage I'll vote for your car if you vote for mine...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, May 2, 2021.

1. little red 50

little red 50

I have a uncle who entered a pool tournament in a bar back in the 70s. He made it to the final he was ready to break stopped and went to the bar tender and asked if there was a prize for second place. Bar tender says yeah first place gets a trophy and second place is a case of beer. He said I let him beat me, took the case of beer and went home. That's how I feel about a trophy at a car show.

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I have a show coming up in July. My show has no class. There will be a few homemade trophies , but they are for fun. Lowest car , best exhaust, tire fryer award, etc. Plus a homemade Mayors choice since the show is about him.
    I hope to draw in a few hambers from the area. Check it out and pass the word. https://www.facebook.com/events/129033292450022/?active_tab=about Madd Mayor.jpg

Driver50x, Deuces, Elcohaulic and 3 others like this.
  3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Sorry for hijacking thread. We don't care about plastic or best of the best. Or money spent.
    Here's our mayor and his truck. 143499348_695817534420619_3384030932960524134_n.jpg

winduptoy, R A Wrench, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Went with my better halfs father to a car show with his 46 Lincoln Continental Convertible, He entered his class,
    took 2nd place. I did not mention to him there was no 3rd place trophy given as there was only 2 cars entered
    in his class.

5. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

77CD62A8-AB07-40A7-8E16-50971FA3A00C.jpeg I don’t care what people think of my cars really.
    I don’t usually do shows, but hit a few a couple years back because my wife’s uncle wanted someone to go with. I can’t believe the rude comments some people make.
    To my surprise I won a second place trophy with my beat up old Mercury, in the survivor class! My sons were ear to ear grins for the next 24 hours.

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I always liked being the only one in my class. Just because. lol

hotrodjack33, Deuces and Turnipseed like this.
  7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

67 Drake, Right there is the best reason!!!!

Hnstray, Deuces, High test 63 and 2 others like this.
  8. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I do the same thing, but I have them engrave worlds best lover instead.

9. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

I owned 3 of those Meteors over the years. Nice to see one show up here.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Went to a show once, Got a Top 20 trophy. I KNOW my car was not a top 20. I walked over told the judge. He Looked at me and said, This past summer i have seen you and your car at the nats, shades, Part of power tour, RK. rumble, HRR in B G. He said every where he went he saw me DRIVING the car It had been a busy summer for me and the old elCamino.He said to him that makes it more of a top 20 than the trailer queens that were there. It did piss off some of those guy.I still have the Little plaque.I admit ,i am pretty proud of that one.

11. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Right!
    I could care less about the trophy, it sits in my closet. But it sure fired those boys up and made them proud. :)
    My son would always win some cheap door prizes at the shows or cruze ins too. It would always make his day to the point where they would look forward to going with me. I figured it plants a seed if anything. Now that older boy in the photo is 13. He’s already saving for his first project. He wants an old Jeep.

Driver50x and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

C8401893-2355-4F43-A11F-33FF4F8D8EB6.jpeg Here he was a year earlier. No trophy for my OT car, but my son had a long day winning cheap prizes.

13. lake_harley

lake_harley

I was at a show a couple years ago and registered as "Display Only". At trophy time I was announced as a winner for the rat rod class. I finally went to get the trophy just to make them quit saying my name and rat rod in the same breath. My T roadster had just been disassembled, gone through, everything cleaned up and the body painted (satin black) a couple months earlier. They explained they saw my car, didn't have any rat rod entries and didn't want me to go home empty handed. Worst of all, with no entries in the class the trophy they gave me was for 3rd place! I'll likely not take my car back again.

Lynn

14. Gabby

Gabby

My sister worked for the federal govt. and had a boss who had a 90's Mustang that he entered in many car shows. The car was nothing special. He would come to work on monday with his latest trophy. My sister would always asked how many cars were in his class and most times there were few so no bragging rights there. He told her that he would like to meet me at a local show in my area. I already knew I wasn't going to like the guy. I introduced myself and he told me a lot of people put their trophies on display in front of their cars. He said he didn't do that and then pulls out a picture to show me of his trophies on display in the living room.What a dick.

15. gene-koning

gene-koning

I usually only enter car shows that are making donations to charities I back.
    I'm very aware of what my car is, I believe that if I win a trophy, they didn't have enough cars at the show.

I was at a somewhat local show a couple years ago when a guy started talking with me about my car. After about 15 minutes, he asked me if I was going to hang around until the awards. He was one of the guys that had to pick one of the top 20 trophies in a 400 car entry field. He intended to give my car the trophy because he thought my car looked like it was the most fun car there.

Parked all around me were very highly restored performance era cars, and really nice street rods, several of which probably didn't see 2 miles in a year.

They sure were upset when I put that trophy on the hood of my car after the show was over. That one was pleasingly evil. I did send my grandson up to get the trophy, he was grinning from ear to ear. I also let him keep it after the show was over.

I did win an award plaque once for the longest distance driven to the show (120 miles). I liked that one. Gene

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

People need to act like you would want your kid to act when competing in a sport. If you win a trophy, go and get it. If not, you are a dick. Many people go home empty handed that would want one. Sometimes, mistakes are made and a trophy is awarded t the wrong person. Accept it as it does happen. Don`t say you will never go back. Shows are put on by volunteers. Not by paid members of the No Mistakes Are Made Club. I attend about 15 shows a year. If I get 1 trophy a year, I`m happy. Remember, participating in a show is like a sport. You tell your kid, just go out and have a good time.

17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I just like to drive my shit.

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's a trophy?

Matt55folife and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  19. If it means that much to someone to "get votes", I would charge them $10 for my vote, and then donate it to the cause.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  20. I'm sitting here looking at my one and only trophy. My buddy, Tom and some members of his club were putting on a little car show in a parking lot. I just stopped by in my 41 Pontiac coupe to spectate and I was awarded a "top 25 People's choice" award! There were 22 entrants. 41onvacation.jpg

21. twenty8

twenty8

^^^^ Some do really deserve to be treasured............:):cool:

j3harleys likes this.
  22. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

The only trophies worth earning are the ones you have to work the hardest for and they don't come easy. They are earned on the Bonneville Salt Flats given out by the SCTA! How could anyone care about some plastic piece of shit from some lame local car show?

jimmy six and WiredSpider like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Well, I think there’s quite a bit of difference between a hotrodder vs a show rodder, and the HAMB is full of customs as well. I’m sure the guys who build a trick custom car and win a trophy are proud of it, we’ve also got a lot of hot rods that have fantastic attention to detail, beautiful builds. I’d bet those folks would he proud of a trophy won.
    All that aside, that’s not the intent of this post, it’s the “begging for votes “ thing that’s really pathetic. I’m sure that’s what the OP was saying.

hotrodjack33 and twenty8 like this.
  24. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

If its that big of a deal to him I would do it. You never know what people are going through and this might be something that helps him..

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  25. I don't consider myself a "trophy whore", but when a good friend passed at 56 due to ALS, his widow held a memorial car show a year later. I received this award and frankly, I treasure it. thumbnail (15).jpg thumbnail (14).jpg

26. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

You say trophies? While on TDY at Ft. L. Wood, they were having a air and car show at an airport located in East St. Louis, MO. Since the crew and I were only there to provide air support, we did not have much to do, especially if we were flying (no drinking). We did have a military vehicle, which was a "Cut-V" some as a Chevy Blazer without an "off-post pass". So I said F-It. and I took the crew to the air and car show, about an hour or maybe 2 hours away in the "non-off-post" Cut-V. Once we got to the show, we were informed that if we entered the show under the military vehicle category that we could get in for free, so free it was. Well long story short, we won the military vehicle category, along with a trophy along with a picture of the crew standing in from of the "post-only" military vehicle, with some good looking babes. We each received a polaroid picture of the event and to my amazement so did my CO (a newspaper copy with names and the picture) when I was receiving my "butt-chewing.

27. My buddy got this at Detroit (basement) last year... he didn't get up off the glider one time to solicit a vote...lol
    20200301_182429.jpg 20200301_185254.jpg
    All the trophies were made by this guy... real pretty work...
    20200301_184852.jpg

28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I am one of the guilty ones who hijacked this thread, when the OP, as others have pointed out, was not referring to trophies per se but to someone asking for votes in return for his vote. I've never asked for votes nor have I had anyone ever ask me to vote for their car. Not sure what I would say in response to a request like that, probably something like, "How about you vote for my car and I also vote for my car."

My cars don't win trophies, but I personally have won a trophy for being 1 Kool Kat. I like to wear it to Walmart.

20150504_104223.jpg

29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I was at a show many years ago. I was talking with the guy parked next to me in a nice 63 Impala with a 327 four speed. Dark blue with a white painted roof and black interior. He was spitting nails, talking about people and there trophy's.. Then it happened, his car and number got called for first place of that class which is one of the biggest. He did an about face, started jumping up and down was so thrilled to have won this trophy.. Turn out he had a rep at car shows for being complaining about trophy's. After he won one that all changed.. LOL

Budget36 likes this.
  30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

IMHO, If you're taking your car out to a show and your main/solo interest is to snag a trophy, you're going for the wrong reason.
    It's kind of like getting all too involved with a charity just to further your political or professional career. It's a swing and a miss. When I was in my late 20's my best friend told me he'd joined the American Cancer Society. Said the functions were a lot of fun and I should go. I said, sure, that sounds like a worthy function, what are you guys working on? He said, hell I don't know, I just show up to the cocktail mixers, get sideways and walk around looking for Chicks to bang :rolleyes:. I told him he was a shameless SOB and was going to hell. He always had some terrific, very innovative angles to meet Women (like crashing Wedding receptions), but I didn't want any part of this one.