Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dual water temp gauges on a flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hb32, May 31, 2016.

?
  1. 1

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 2

30 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Anybody running dual gauges or a single with a switch.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Since flathead ford V8's have no connection between the banks, and considering they often are 'boilers', I think having dual temp gauges is a good idea....either two gauges or one with a switch. Would help to isolate a problem or confirm the worst.....both sides are running hot.

Ray

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. prpmmp

prpmmp

2 mechanical gauges! Pete

Bill Whitehurst and Texas Webb like this.
  4. That is my thought as well Pete.

5. 2 separate gauges.

6. adam401

adam401

A model t with a flatty that I finished building for a friend runs 2 mechanical temp gauges. My 34 coupe has an 8ba that when finished will run 2 temp gauges in the dash and 2 temp gauges in the full gauge laced firewall.
    I figure instead of running plugs in the heads might as well thread some senders in there. Guages are cool so why not. I think it's valuable to monitor the cooling on the separate sides given there two water pump dual outlet/ inlet configuration.
    The other 2 temp gauges Im running in the firewall just cause I do stupid things. Totally senseless haha.

7. prpmmp

prpmmp

Yea put two 2 inch SW gauges with a 2 inch Oil pressure in between right behind the steering wheel on the dash in front of my face! Easy to see!! Pics!! Pete [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    jimmy six likes this.
  8. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The 1953 convertible I'm working on has one gauge with two senders. They are wired together. One of them reads normally and the other reads an overly hot condition and overrides the gauge at a preset temp. Both sides are protected with one side reading most of the time. It's a pretty cool set up for a minimalist but I'd put dual gauges on a hot rod.

9. 2935ford

2935ford

Yup, dual temp gauges on my flatty roadster.

10. One original dye type and one Smiths!
    IMG_8396.JPG ROADSTER 013.JPG

1952henry and hfh like this.
  11. We run two mechanical gauges on our '49. Never could get the stock gauge to work after much drama and hassle. Car boiled up somewhere in Texas on the trail to Lonestar Roundup. Had one mechanical on the right so we picked up another at some parts store on the road for the left side. Works great. Original problem seems to be too high thermostats. Fixed it and all is well.

Only have a single mechanical temp gauge for the roadster but plan one for the other side soon.

stillrunners likes this.
  12. this brings up a question, I'm running a '39 dash with stock gauges in my Model A sedan and it only has one mechanical gauge, how was that hooked up on the flathead with two separate sides? Not that that is an issue for me as I have a Y block in the car, just was wondering.

13. I put dual mechanical gauges on my buddy's'53 Vicky. It's a wise choice I think to be able to monitor each bank's temp independently.

Sent from my A520L using H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Andy

Andy

I run one gauge and a two way switch for two senders.

15. I run two as well, I like knowing where both sides of the engine are at.

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Running a pair of VDO electrics on the 8ba in my '39 p/u. Both run within a couple of degrees. A lot cheaper than getting the stock gauge repaired after the PO cut off the capillary tube.

Attached Files:

17. oldsman41

oldsman41

i run two gauges on my 51 merc under dash mount left side for left bank then oil volts and right side for right bank. makes me feel warm and fuzzy when i see them both about the same temp.

18. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I run duals as well.. But what I'd like to know is who's had just one side over heat?

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It probably isn't a common occurrence to have only one side run hot, but it is most certainly possible. The only common area of a Ford flathead V8 cooling system is the radiator. From the lower outlet, through the water pump, block, head and back to the radiator, it is an independent system for each cylinder bank. There is no internal crossover of coolant.

So, any malfunction, blockage, head gasket failure, etc, could be more quickly and easily detected with two gauges. Given the flatheads notorious propensity for overheating anyway, keeping eyes on the whole system just seems to make sense to me.....and apparently others.....including you! :)

Ray

20. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I'm well aware of those facts, ray. What I was really wondering was how many asses have been saved by two gauges.

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have to confess :oops:, even though I 'quoted' your comment, it wasn't until I had written my dissertation on the flathead cooling system that it dawned on me that you said you also were using dual gauges. In fact, I edited the last sentence adding "including you". Most certainly no offense intended.

Forgive me please.......apparently I have a genetic tendency toward excessively detailed commentary. My friends say about me......"ask him what time it is.....and he'll tell you how to make a watch". :D

Ray

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    pchop51 likes this.
  22. Truckedup

Truckedup

I put dual mechanical gauges on this thing...V8-60.....One side runs slightly hotter than the other, around 170 degrees...It also has a home made two into one coolant pipe from the engine to the small radiator...

[​IMG]

stillrunners likes this.
  23. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

The flathead is two cooling systems , so why wouldn't you run two gauges. I have found that in most cases ,one side runs 10' cooler than the other.

24. haychrishay

haychrishay

25. cretin

cretin

That's interesting. Is that how it was factory? Any more info on how that works?

26. SlowPoke Rodriguez

SlowPoke Rodriguez

Hello, how did you wire the set up you have? I am trying to do the same with 2 electric gauges. I have 2 each of the original sending units. Thanks

27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We used to run these on two cylinder snowmobiles :
    heat gauge.jpg

28. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

I use two senders one gauge , running through a on , off , on switch mounted sideways.
    Left is left bank , center is off , right is right bank .works well .

51504bat likes this.
  29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 gauges, 2 sending units, on on each head (obviously) and wire each gauge separately. Just like you're wiring one gauge, you just do it twice. Some guys run just one gauge and have a switch to check each bank. I'm a fan of the 2 gauge system but go with whatever works best for you.

30. 37_Ford

37_Ford
    from Illinois

I use two electronic senders and one gauge. Using a toggle switch mounted sideways next to the dimmer switch. Left is left bank, right is right bank. Difference of about 5 degrees between banks.

gary macdonald likes this.