Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trans Swap Fail

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by breakfastst0ut, May 2, 2021.

1. breakfastst0ut

breakfastst0ut

I listened to a fella on here and got an 8ba bell housing to adapt my 8rt flatty to a 3 speed toploader (from a 69 f100 I believe). Well, I can't believe I didn't check this beforehand, but the 8ba bell housing isn't flat!?! This is after I already had work done to it at the machine shop! Hahahahaha I suck. The pics tell the story. Have the original 8rt bell housing adapter for comparison. Not really sure where I go from here. Any suggestions?

IMG_5037.jpg IMG_5038.jpg IMG_5034.jpg IMG_5035.jpg IMG_5036.jpg IMG_5039.jpg IMG_5040.jpg IMG_5041.jpg IMG_5042.jpg

2. Where’s the starter plate ?

Tommy

3. You need the stamped steel bellhousing specific starter plate, that would be the upper one with the recess to clear the ring gear teeth
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d be worried the trans will not be parallel to the flywheel. After centering the trans to the crank I’d check to see how far it’s off.

5. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Once you get the proper starter plate, you will see that it compensates for the angle of the bell housing. Your not screwed yet.

stillrunners and breakfastst0ut like this.
  6. breakfastst0ut

breakfastst0ut

Thx guys! Didn’t know the starter plates were different.

7. alchemy

alchemy

The planes where it mounts to the block and the trans are parallel. Just the front lower half is angled. Get the starter plate that Pocket Nick shows and you are fine.