Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheel seal loose OD help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ckdesigns, May 2, 2021.

1. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

I recently purchased some used front brakes that are 46-48 backing plates with finned Buick drums. Today I started into the swap and figured I better check if all the parts I had were right. It didn’t come with bearings and seals so I picked up the normal Ford stuff. My first problem is that the OD of the National 5796 seal fits in one hub but the other hub there is about 0.065 gap. The seal measures 2.695. I can’t fit my calipers in to measure the hub is why I used feeler gauges. I looked up the National Catalog and didn’t find a seal with the right dimensions. What are my options? Can I shim between the OD of the seal and the hub?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Following the gospel since 2004

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Maybe a dumb question but, do both seals have the same number stamped onto them?
    Reason I mention this is because I recently went through something similar on a transmission extension housing seal. It turned out the wrong seal was in a box that had the correct number.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since you want the seal to be concentric to the spindle I would not recommend shimming the seal. What hubs are being used? To both hubs match?

4. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

It’s actually the same seal in both pictures. It was too small in the first hub so I tried it in the other hub and it fit.

5. pitman

pitman

Was hoping first, you could find a matching one.
    If not I recall the supercharger rotor feeler gauge 'strips'.
    They are Long.
    If it could be found,
    might cut a .032 thick one into a circumference shim length.

6. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

LocTite makes a bearing mount product for situations like this but I'm not sure it can be used with that big of a gap.

7. Budget36

Budget36

I wouldn’t be afraid to roll a round shim or have one rolled. Don’t make it solid, when you knock the seal in it will expand it and hold it solidly. There’s not a lot of drag on the spindle when going down the road. Even if the shim covered 90% of the surface, the seal should be aligned the same as the other side.

pitman and ckdesigns like this.
  8. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Ford O1Y-1190 for the 40-47 one ton truck seems to be the right outside diameter for that larger hub, but I don't find a reference to the sealing surface dimensions.
    Wonder if that hub is from a one ton truck and uses the different seal.......?

9. sdluck

sdluck

ckdesigns likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

What made the hole too large? Beware something might be structurally wrong with the hub.

ckdesigns likes this.
  11. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

Good thinking, I’ll give it a thorough inspection.