Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Walke talke

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped, May 2, 2021.

1. chopped

chopped

For use from shop to house. Something about being 75 the wife worries I'll crash. Any recommendations.

chryslerfan55 and ronzmtrwrx like this.
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

Do you both have cell phones........?
    I have used Cobra walkie talkies.......

3. chopped

chopped

Yes but was hoping for something to mount in a charger and leave in place. I'm getting good at forgetting things.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Perhaps a baby monitor type thingy?

Hnstray, wraymen, blowby and 3 others like this.

5. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

You are looking for an intercom. There are both wireless systems, and systems that plug in and use the household 110 wiring to transmit.

lake_harley likes this.
  6. oldolds

oldolds

Security cameras. Blink is a brand that comes to mind. Something with a doorbell intercom feature. A lot have intercom as well. You get the benefit of 24 hour security.

7. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally an intercom like others mentioned is what I would go for in this case, but you know your needs better than me. I can tell you this: good walkie talkies aren't cheap. We use Cobras at work that cost like $140 a pair and still have trouble with them, the cheaper sets are practically useless.

chryslerfan55 and Guy Patterson like this.
  8. chopped

chopped

Good to know, I have zero experience with them.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Myself and my friends have used those cheaper two way radios to communicate with each other on road trips. Work pretty dogone good.

AccurateMike likes this.
  10. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I have a big yard. I used to give the kids FRS radios so we could keep track. I have 4 radios and a base. A pair of Motorola Talkabouts is less than $30.
    [​IMG]
    They say 16 mile range. I don't know about that, they go plenty far for between the house and barn. Look up FRS or GMRS radios. It's a thing, Mike

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you aren't actually carrying it on you it isn't going to serve the purpose you are wanting it for. If you fall or get stuck you aren't going to be able to reach something sitting on a charger on the bench or wall. A friend of mine laid on his kitchen floor for two days after he fell until his coffee stop cronies got worried and went to check on him because he didn't have a phone or anything within reach. On the other hand my 94 year old mom fell out of her chair while reaching for something and couldn't get back up while on the phone with my brother and he called me on his wife's phone to run next door and help her. Those FRS phones are pretty inexpensive and some are pretty small and would fit on a belt clip.

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Baby Monitors... At least this way you don't have to press a button to talk if you can't. Just have to careful of what you say...
    You said in case you crash. Do you mean falling or are you diabetic and your sugar level crashes?

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The retirement home my dad lived in before he passed had small monitor buttons for all the residents. They were similar to the ones advertised on TV "I've fallen and I can't get up" ones. But they were monitored by the retirement village not a monitoring service. It was only an emergency alert system. There was no 2 way communication. You may be able to get one similar that your wife could monitor from a base station in the house. My dad wore it around his neck at all times so it was always available in case he had to push the button for help. This would give her peace of mind and would be easy for you to carry. If you fell or other wise needed assistance and couldn't get to a cell phone or walkee talkee all you would have to do would be to push the button.

14. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

15. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Life Alert or FRS radios. FRS radios are very small and easy to carry if need be. They can be left on in the charger indefinitely. About $30 a pair.
    GMRS radios are the same size as FRS but will reach out several miles. In some areas repeater use is available giving coverage similar to commercial systems. They require some education to acquire and use. About $30 each.

16. chopped

chopped

Lots of good information, I'll pick something to ease her worries. Thanks

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yep, baby monitor. My shop is 200' from the house, where my disabled wife is. I have the base unit in the shop, the remote unit in the house. I can hear everything going on in the house, all she has to do is yap. She doesn't hear my cussing unless I press the talk button. No video. Both plugged in to wall.

18. We used a monitor when the kids were small. One night I was awoken by a woman sweet talking what I thought was my child. Ran to the kids room to find them alone and sound asleep. Later realized that I was picking up a neighbor down the street talking to her kid. So be careful what you say and turn it off when needed. :)

19. Mimilan

Mimilan

X-cpe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I have a pair of Motorola Talkabouts, they're inexpensive and will work fine over the distance you mentioned. Any sporting goods store will carry them.

chryslerfan55 and AccurateMike like this.
  21. twenty8

twenty8

Yeah, gettin' old is hilarious.....................until you have to do it.
    Like someone else once said around here, "gettin' old is not for pussies".

Jack E/NJ and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But it still sucks.

Jack E/NJ, chryslerfan55 and twenty8 like this.
  23. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife has concerns, too. We have Amazon Akexa units set up as intercoms between the house and shop. Also handy for beer orders.

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  24. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

We've had the plug in type intercoms between the house and garage for 30 or 35 years. 1st pair was from Radio Shack. I think we're on our 3rd set.

Gary

25. Friend was up at the farm and had a stroke, crawled to where he was in range of a security camera, his wife who was still down in the cities, saw him on her phone, and called the neighbors and asked them to both call the local 911 and go over and help him in the meantime. The camera was important as he was unable to talk or use his phone in this case.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Desoto291Hemi and Hnstray like this.