Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Stopped by speedy bill’s place

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bill gruendeman, Apr 28, 2021.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It's on my bucket list to see. Hope I get some checked off the list!

3. Here's another gem from their collection.

P8040402.JPG

wicarnut, 54delray, Lepus and 4 others like this.
  4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I was lucky enough to get a tour by Speedy himself, and another by his son Clay. SOOOO much cool stuff there, and most of it has a story, not just a part on a wall. Been there at least 4 times, and I'd go again in a heartbeat

5. 0ldracer

0ldracer

The Museum of American Speed in Lincoln, Nebraska just re-opened on April 1 after being closed for a year due to the Corona Virus situation. Many of the exhibits have been expanded and displays have been upgraded during this period. Here is one of them. This place is absolutely worth a visit.
    Displaybest.jpg
    side.jpg

54delray, rod1, TerrytheK and 5 others like this.
  6. dwollam

dwollam

We toured the place in 2018 after Carlisle and Hershey. Tons of cool history. Tour guide said Bill and his wife's remains were behind one of the walls of a room we were in.
    If I remember right, he told us the pedal car collection was her collection.
    Dave

7. jaracer

jaracer

Didn't know they had the Black Duece/Bardahl sprint car. It was still being raced when I started in sprint cars in the 70's. Hector Honore won a lot of IMCA championships with that car and a number of different drivers.

wicarnut, 54delray, joep4567 and 3 others like this.
  8. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Wow! Cool pics everyone. Thanks for posting. The museum is now officially on my bucket list, along with Bonneville,(again) the cackelfest at Bakersfield, the roadster show in Pomona, the Peterson, NHRA museum, Hershey, back to the 50's, Woodward Avenue, hmmm, the clock is ticking. I'd better shorten this list some and get movin.

9. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I was there just as they were building the Museum, It was mid 90's, we were there for Rod & Custom's Road tours. this was crammed into whatever space they had but I have it on my bucket list to see it again.

10. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

They have 200k sq feet on display and I was told they more than enough to change everything out without duplication.

54delray and loudbang like this.
  11. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

I am going this year to see the tether car collection and of course all the other stuff.

12. hudson48

hudson48

Went there in 2018 and highly recommend it. Spent about 4-5 hours there.

13. choptop40

choptop40

wondering if Jackos streamliner is there...???? thanks for the great pics...

14. If you do get the chance to go, plan a whole day for it. There are literally tons of things to see. Hot rod eye-candy at it's finest. Here's another example. How about a Y-block with a Weslake head conversion?

P8040391.JPG P8040392.JPG

15. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent a "coupla shifts" there over July 4th weekend: Friday afternoon and went back again Saturday morning. Per a suggestion by Oldracer (whose restored S & S Parts Willys gasser is on display there!) I was going to start a thread on my visit but after doing a search I found this thread. Thanks to @bill gruendeman it's already rolling so figured I'd just add to it. If you haven't been there yet I've got one word for you:
    GO!!
    I'll add to this thread in the hope that it might convince some of you guys to make the trip to see it and spread the word about what a hotrodding and racing treasure there is, hidden away in Lincoln Nebraska.
    First, as many of you already know, the Isky roadster is there.
    DSC_4888_1000.jpg
    That was just one of the reasons I decided to make the trip - it was as close as I would likely ever be to seeing it in person. I met Ed "The Cam Father Him-self" at the Meltdown Drags in 2017 and he was every bit as neat as everyone says he is. Especially now at 100 years young!
    So when I pulled into the parking lot I saw this (gotta love it!!):
    DSC_4868_600.jpg
    Some of the historic drag racing machines on display:
    DSC_5018_1200.jpg
    Here's a link to info about some of them - including more about the Oldracer Dave Hales S & S Willys:
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-...-cars-from-the-museum-of-american-speed/31379
    More background on the S & S Willys:
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/dave-hales-sands-willys-gasser/30918
    And there is, of course, a ton of circle track stuff: Historic race cars? Yep!
    DSC_4843_800.jpg

Engines? Man, are there!! Ever want to dissect a blown hemi!?
    DSC_4745_800.jpg

Memorabilia? It's in every corner.
    DSC_4865_800.jpg

Here are a couple links to other threads here you might find interesting (hope they work!):
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/iskys-roadster-at-american-museum-of-speed.1228294/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...darryl-starbirds-hall-of-fame-merger.1234202/
    And some other cool news, The Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed has been voted USA Today's #1 Automotive Attraction for Car Lovers. You can find a video about that on YouTube, maybe somebody with a little more technical expertise can post that.
    The museum's website is here: https://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    wicarnut, 54delray, Ford52PU and 7 others like this.
  16. It was 826 miles one way for us, we hung out at the Harley dealer until it opened. We incorporated this into a trip that also saw us at LMC. It was 4 great days of numerous stories, some great meals, an 80 dollar speeding ticket and lots of great memories. Who knew you could pile four guys, luggage, a couple of heads, carburetors, some rubber part, shiny chrome and a complete box for a 50 Chevrolet into a Windsor built minivan. The museum was great to see.

17. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one of the staircase landings between floors. Wondering if maybe they ran out of room in the employee lunchroom? ;)

DSC_4955_900.jpg

18. Stopped there in 2015, loved that place.

54delray and loudbang like this.
  19. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I do not believe that is correct. Joyce’s collection is the yellow cab vehicles, pedal cars, models and memorabilia.

Bill was definitely the pedal car guy. One time in the 90’s he was explaining how expensive the auction prices were getting on the pedal cars and how crazy the collectors were. He pointed out an example. Well of course, he had bought it at auction.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  20. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

My wife and I stop just passing thur . Got there about 5 minutes after they started their your. The lady at the desk called someone talked to them and when she got of the phone said a gentleman would be hear to get us to the group so we could see the museum. Very nice museum and great people working there.

21. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

We were there this last Thursday for the first time. It opens at 12 and closes at 4:30. The wife and I were there the whole time and saw it all, but you need more time to be able to read about stuff and look at all the stuff closely. It is well worth it and we will be going back. The people there are all very nice. We were also told that there are warehouses full of stuff and they are going to add 90,000 more square feet. I started taking pictures, but soon realized I was going to have a picture of everything if I didn't stop.

A Boner, TerrytheK, 54delray and 3 others like this.
  22. Now I know what else to do in eastern Nebraska. I'd suggest anyone also interested in Air Force planes add another day onto your trip and visit the Strategic Air Command Museum just up the road in Ashland, NE. Everything there from WWII aircraft through the Cold War, including the SR71 Blackbird, the U-2, F-86, F-90, F-101, F-102, F-104, all the bombers, C-119 Flying Boxcar, etc. Another all-day experience. You might also book a room at the Mahoney State Park lodge nearby, but figure on reservations a year out. If not, at least eat at the lodge's restaurant.

sidevalve8ba, 54delray and tractorguy like this.
  23. 0ldracer

0ldracer

wicarnut, TerrytheK, 54delray and 2 others like this.
  24. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    loudbang, 54delray and 0ldracer like this.
  25. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Bring your special rides out that morning for Cars and Coffee. And of course, go through the awesome museum.

loudbang and stanlow69 like this.
  26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

A fantastic place! This was a destination for the Speedster Reunion tour this year.

loudbang and 54delray like this.
  27. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thanks for the pictures. I've got to get there, it's on my bucket list. Back in 1980 we got a private tour by Speedy Bill of his engine collection at that time in the old building when a fellow racer flew me up there from Bellville Kansas to pickup a U-joint for my Midget that was competing at the nationals. Looks like a need to visit place for sure.

loudbang likes this.