Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Showtime!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Apr 30, 2021.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Showtime!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Good Post Kid.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

Love the early Popular Hot Rodding. I have more of those than any of the others, even Hot Rod. Blasphemy!

4. Someone would actually go to Portland on purpose?

5. Only to get out of your state. ^^^

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Understandable. I'm headed for Idaho next week.

7. showrod

showrod

Thats my t bucket in the second picture of the Chicago coverage!
    I have to wonder what became of some of the other cars on those pages.

stanlow69, catdad49, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I’ve lived on both coasts as well as the Midwest and Portland ranks very close to the top of my favorite cities list—and they have tons of rich hot rodding history!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

41 GMC K-18, 30tudor and dana barlow like this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

At the point in life,as a kid we mostly get true freedom by riding our pedal bikes all over hell n gone. Was the late 40s, early 1950s for me. Then driving my own car* by 59.
    Coconut Grove Fla.{now it's all Miami}
    A short bike ride from my house, only about 14 blocks away, was some of the biggest indoor cars in south east USA. A few times a year,at "Dinner Key" Auditorium< The place was really a giant airplane hanger,left over from PanAm Sea Planes= now used as auditorium with the big runways as parking lots, the old PanAm Seaplane Terminal was now used as Miami City Hall.
    Point is, I was going to indoor shows of many types just down the street,Hot Rod n Custom,plus other types New car, Home shows,Boat shows ect.
    Yes ,there were also other auditoriums in Miami that had shows,but Dinner Key was the biggest of the main 3.
    That may of had something to do with building my self two,show kind of show cars to both drive and too show. I really loved the indoor show atmosphere,the folks I met were amazing!. Most shows were 2 or 3 days long with a Band on stage as well !
    Maybe the biggest show was GM MotorRama 1954. But many others! From 1959 to 65, I had my own 28A bobtailed hot rod an by 1960 my full custom Henry J< That "J" made Car Craft Mag. by Jan of 63.
    I really miss indoor shows ! Only one of the big 3 places we had shows in,is still here, Miami Beach Convention/it had been added on too,so now as large as Dinner Key was,but the Key is gone ,an so is Bay Front Park Auditorium/both bulldozed.
    First show I put my Full Custom "J" in:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  10. Cool post, the magazine pages are a great insight into the times. I would love to know more about the Larry Mass Ford.

dana barlow likes this.