Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pulling the trigger on this one today. What Am I In For.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keith27T, Aug 10, 2019.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

As to MII ifs on this car, you will simply be replacing a most likely worn out, bad design ifs with a new, much better design ifs.
    What's wrong with that? Nothing that I can see.

OLDSMAN and Budget36 like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Where’s the button to like this whole thread?

I’m liking the direction you’re going with this car.

Another neat Canadian build :cool:

3. Working on dash, and cleaning things up. Doing a lot of little things as I am not sure how much longer will have a job. Saving what I can. Covid-19 Virus sucks, don't know what the future will bring...…... IMG_2879[4319].JPG

4. Almost finished wiring. Then onto the brakes. IMG_2886[4350].JPG IMG_2886[4350].JPG

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

i built one just like it for darn near free back in the 80's. had a datsun 240Z 6cyl, volvo trans, and 64ish chevy pickup rear. looked pretty stock except for radial tires. the worn out knee action floated down the road just fine for thousands of miles. drove it to Bonneville several times in the 80's. was there the first time big daddy ran the coarse, and had a picture of him watching the track with his foot on the bumper of my 38!!! the nerve!. in those days we could park right on the starting line, sit on the fenders drinkin beer. never met don, but in the bar one night his crew was hangin around and one told us a couple funny tales don said, on the way to the event don told one of the crew he could not remember the last time they were going to a track he had never been to before!, and also, he said it quite fun to be able to keep your foot on the throttle for more than a few seconds! sorry, i got off coarse, but you will have fun with your 38 i'm sure. i have a complete standard front end also

RICH B, keith27T and dirty old man like this.
  6. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Here is a shot of a 34 Master with knee action that was rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics. Also one of a 38 Master Deluxe frame with a factory Mll ifs which has the strut rods.

IMG_4629.JPG IMG_4638.JPG

7. Got to drive it around a little bit today.
    Hopefully have it on the road in the spring! IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0121.JPG IMG_0128.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have a 40 Pontiac that had that front suspension. I replaced a couple parts and added tube shocks. It worked for about 5 years just fine until I put a front stub on it for the disc brakes and power steering. Just adding the tube shocks was a world of difference! Gary IMG_5851.jpg

nunattax, mgtstumpy and keith27T like this.
  9. What shock did you use ? And how did you attach it? Any pictures?

10. Windshield and trims back in with some help. No breakage IMG_1814.JPG

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  11. Out for maiden voyage.
    Still a couple things to iron out, but was good to take her for a spin[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

its looking great

keith27T likes this.
  13. ...good job saving that car!

keith27T likes this.
  14. Finally found a 39 axle, around my area. Came with everything except brake parts, and spring mounts. They had used it for a trailer. Brake drums even look good. So a guess will start rebuilding this front end and try to get it on in the winter. Those axles are not easy to find around here. Have to figure out the springs?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. I love a 38 Chevy. I'd like to have a sedan, no room for the kids in my coupe.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

For future reference there is a adapter made to use a 54 and earlier water pump on the 55 to 62 engines to put the fan in the original location so the radiator will not have to be moved,I used it on my 37 p/u.

17. Yes I did put the short pump in but wanted to use the 59 fan. Which is a big fan so had to move rad about 1/2” forward. Just put in spacers. Runs cool with a no pressure rad cap.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  18. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Hey, we are on page four and you have not chop it, as of yet.

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

theres no rush

20. 39 axle[​IMG]

21. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Here’s a 39 front axle assembly as removed from an original car. Not the best pictures but you can see most of the doo-dads and such that attach to it. I included one of it still in the car so you can see where things mount on the frame, sorry it’s not better quality
    38DF2364-7C14-474C-A7FE-DFF57C75C995.jpeg 42E787F0-82DD-4A6B-A3EA-E756B97B2F43.jpeg
    5CDBABC8-0A2D-4500-9444-C12296F6AFE9.jpeg

22. Thanks Shadow. Creek!

Shadow Creek likes this.