Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford Roadster P-51

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Nov 21, 2020.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

No, normal steel. approx. 28usd in ebay. Big muffler seller there (performance curve)

2" glass pack muffler
    3.5" x 9"

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nice thanx

Stogy likes this.
  3. AULIZ

AULIZ

On January I decided that end of April everything is painted and body is on frame. Today I lift body on frame. I notice that engine lifter is good to use if not install doors before lifting. Slowly down right place.
    Cowl top and rear panels are not bolted on yet. Just bring those from my house

Looks good, now I really like that color combination. Rock´n´roll !!!

Aulis

IMG_5995b.jpg IMG_5996b.jpg IMG_5997b.jpg IMG_5998b.jpg IMG_5999b.jpg IMG_6001b.jpg
    IMG_6002b.jpg IMG_6004b.jpg IMG_6005b.jpg IMG_6006b.jpg IMG_6007b.jpg

alfin32, bymanr, brEad and 7 others like this.
  4. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Looks very good and nice color combination.

Stogy, j hansen and nunattax like this.
  5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

the wheels make it!

Stogy and j hansen like this.
  6. AULIZ

AULIZ

few pics more.
    Im putting dash ready.
    Aulis

stoker-642.jpg stoker-643.jpg stoker-644.jpg stoker-645.jpg stoker-646.jpg stoker-647.jpg stoker-648.jpg stoker-649.jpg

7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks.
    Rear is drop down maybe 3/4" - 1".
    Front I need to change another spring which drops front end hopefully 2"

Aulis

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great work, Aulis. Roadster is sitting pretty, (old expression from the '30s, meant 'comfortable in $$'),
    but in your case, stance. Little lower in front will be just right, (I'm a California boy, so it has to be 'raked'!)
    I'm (we're) all anxious for the engine assembly, I remember my 1956 build of a 296" flathead, #59L block, factory relief...Very 'hairy' on the street, but that was...65 years ago!
    Dean Moon helped with some cool parts, as did Roy Richter, got my 3-spoke Bell steering wheel from him.
    Your California story reminded me of all the traveling to speed shops back then...

Stogy likes this.
  9. Ryan Turk

Ryan Turk
    from Austin, TX

I love the dash, reminds me of a 40s' aviation dash like an Ercoupe or Aeronca

Stogy likes this.
  10. AULIZ

AULIZ

THanks Men.

Mike, Im so interested in those old stories and that life what You have lived before I was with in hot rodding.
    I have said, I have born wrong decade. 7th of May Im 55y old. 80s when I was come in American car hobby, they didn´t produce any interesting cars (ford, gm, chrysler), only street rods in car shows.....

Yes, front end must be lower. I made "spring swap". I take that another spring from my 5w coupe project and test that before I piece this roadster leafspring.

Now Im thinking all the time Your 296 and what You did 50´s. So cool to read that 1st in the morning.
    Fireplace is ready, i close it and go to garage. "bolt on day".
    Aulis

Atwater Mike, Stogy and AndersF like this.
  11. AULIZ

AULIZ

Saturday.

I need to find somewhere aluminum to hood and rear panel holes.

ah

IMG_6009b.jpg IMG_6011b.jpg IMG_6012b.jpg IMG_6017b.jpg IMG_6018b.jpg IMG_6019b.jpg IMG_6021b.jpg IMG_6022b.jpg

alfin32, bymanr, Stogy and 12 others like this.
  12. SPEC

SPEC

It looks great.

Stogy likes this.
  13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks.

Sunday just installed dash, steering colum tube, 1932 column drop and trunk lid after installed hinges, latch and stricker plate.

Tomorrow I lift off 59A cylinderblock and install engine.
    I think that maybe I don´t try to built 296cid engine before summer.... so I will take ready engine from my cabriolet and install cabriolet it´s own 221cid Twin spark plug engine. I have "test and tune" two summer that superchargered engine. Cabriolet has been good "testbench". Engine is that Italmeccanica supercharger engine, I have wrote here onw topic maybe 5y ago when I built it.

Today I drive cab home from my another small garage. That 286cid italmeccanica engine rock and run very nice.

Rgds,AULIS

stoker-650.jpg stoker-651.jpg stoker-652.jpg stoker-653.jpg stoker-654.jpg stoker-655.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    ct1932ford, bymanr, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  14. Such a nice build! You have your own style and it really works.

Stogy likes this.
  15. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sir.
    Italmeccanica flathead is lifted off from cabrilet engineroom. Tomorrow I cut off brackets in waterpumps and paint engine right colour.
    aulis

stoker-656.jpg stoker-657.jpg

ct1932ford, pwschuh, bymanr and 7 others like this.
  16. AULIZ

AULIZ

Early morning I covered heads, oilpan, magneto, intake/supercharger... and painted engine.
    Before painting I cut enginestands from waterpumps. Those are not needed, I use original style mountings.

Also need to cut front crossmember, two row v-belt pulley takes more space there.
    Tomorrow I continue this project or install twin spark plug engine on cabriolets frame...

Aulis

Yes, I know this website master do not like my projects, but still Aulis is going foward.... Featured or Not; very much interested in to built many rods after this.

stoker-658.jpg stoker-659.jpg stoker-660.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    nunattax, ct1932ford, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  17. Stogy likes this.
  18. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks.

Aftermarket body do not have space for orig. rear shocks. I was wonder why body was not fall down to right place.... Now bolted on after cut 4 pieces off.
    Firewall, gaspedal....

I have Generator which is converted to 12V. I need to made and change narrowed 12,7mm (1/2") v-belt pulley in it. How can I remove that 1946-48 generator original pulley?. I can see that there is not nut, but there is thread.
    I have converted many 6V generator to 12V, polarized those, but never removed pulley....

AH

stoker-661.jpg stoker-662.jpg stoker-663.jpg stoker-664.jpg stoker-665.jpg stoker-666.jpg

alfin32, ct1932ford, SPEC and 9 others like this.
  19. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

It is really coming together & looks really good

Stogy likes this.
  20. AULIZ

AULIZ

Few pics.

First need to use "china shit" -radiator. I have two brass radiator, but cant use those. Those are old original stuff, very very good conidition. Both have rad.cap neck top, so can´t use those because in this car I use smooth top radiator shell. Last week I bought nearly new brass walker 1932 >< Flathead radiator. It has already arrived to Houston TX. I change it when seacontainer arrive to Finland ...

Today I made front spring works. Now front end is 1" lower than yesterday. Maybe can drop 1/2" more..... not more. Tie rod is touch v-belt pulley and wishbone oilpan, if try to made front end lower.

Aulis

stoker-667.jpg stoker-668.jpg stoker-669.jpg stoker-670.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I don't know about "website master" not liking your projects but a lot of us do so keep on building them!

22. SPEC

SPEC

I like your project.

nunattax and Stogy like this.
  23. Jay Here

Jay Here
    from Illinois

I like the aviation style gauges!

nunattax and Stogy like this.
  24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    I choose easier way to use this ready engine than built new one. I have all ready for 296cid free flow flathead, but You know , it takes at least one week to built engine and more if there is some problems.... Summer is short here North, so better to make car ready and enjoy on the road than try to make all like have plan begining.

I was plan that car is running on May, that is realistic. Registered on June etc.
    Today I need to work outside and today I get my Covid vaccination too. Yesterday I was working working hard with generator and finally I removed pulley without broken it. I must lathe new pulley for AVX = 13mm / 1/2" wide belt beacuse I have made supercharger generator pulley that wide. This time I use black generator, I do not like that cromed 30´s - 40´s 12V converted generator. Too shiny with Alum. stuff around it.

China radiator need to install, drill holes and cut brackets to right lenght.
    I start without fan, lets see how it works. I can increase later one or two electric fan frontside of radiator, but I know that with Walker not need any fan. I have made my falatheads with very thin piston rings. Im rather sure that if ignition advance is right (enough advance then not warm too much ex.runers), not too much friction ( thin race rings), good oil and enough big volume, good radiator = You do not need fan here in Scandinavia. I was drive very much my ex. B-17 Roadster (303cid + McCulloch supercharger. 1mm rings, new Walker,... = works perfect w/o fan) without any problems. OK, long time small cruising middle of city/trafic is not good thing, but who wants to do like that?

Yesterday I turn 55. I and Crew Chief Oskar son were in Holy Smoke american style restaurant few hundred meters from my house. We take big steaks and enjoy old rock´n´roll music there (coal grill -> perfect steak + long brooklyn beer). Now one day older feels that I have more power and step is inc or two longer.... so need to wear dirty clothers and walk in to garage before Crew Chief is wake up.

Aulis

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  25. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really great progress Aulis! This build is very traditional yet very unique with the theme and colors. I really like the creativity.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Happy Birthday! You are just a kid, but time starts to move fast as you age. So keep up the good work. I’m going to be 74 next month and building hot rods keeps me going. That and cold beer.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

27. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sir.
    Feeling inside is most important, not age (numbers). Here hot rod culture has not long history. Neighbours, relatives.... are mostly wonder "why You do not grow up". My answer is "I hope, never".

Sweden its normal that Grandfather +70y old has daily clubjacket and drives old american car. His son 50y old is doing same and his son too. Wifes, girlfriends are with them in cruising, meetings.... Here that is never happen, too Young culture. Sweden American car culture / hot rod culture is more "family fun" than other places. In USA if drive to meetings, mostly males....

Sunday I made engine swap to Cabriolet. Today fire up 221cid twinspark plug EWH engine. They said in weather forecast that finally going warmer... end of this week +20dec .... Need to have open cab car on the road...

Aulis

28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

dont be in a hurry to grow up

scrubby2009 and Stogy like this.
  29. AULIZ

AULIZ

Here in North side of Europe we have warm weather. Saturday I removed Twin sparkplug engine from my 5w coupe. Sunday I opened oilpan, changed it to steel one, Monday I engine was installed to cabriolet engine room, Tuesday test drive, some clutch, carb etc tune up , change oil .... testdrive... Today we had here +25dec Celcius. Cabriolet runs great with that 221cid 21bolt twin plug flathead. Good sound - engine rocks. Finally today I continue roadster project.

Im not gonna use China radiator. I decided to use another of my old brass radiator until Walker is arrive to Finland. Or I leave this radiator this car and install walker to 5w coupe. Grill & Shell installed, water hoses and support rods also installed. I lathe shim spacer to generator, painted generator and polarized it.
    Tomorrow , Thursday , is not workingday here. All day building roadster.

Aulis

stoker-671.jpg stoker-672.jpg stoker-673.jpg stoker-674.jpg stoker-675.jpg stoker-676.jpg stoker-677.jpg stoker-678.jpg stoker-679.jpg stoker-680.jpg

patmanta, Stogy, AndersF and 10 others like this.

30. Beautiful build. And Happy Belated Birthday from a fellow 7 May baby.

Stogy and 34 5W Paul like this.