Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you have creature comforts in your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spook498, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Creature comforts... you mean like hot and cold running water and an indoor terrlette?
    Nope, don't got 'em.

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I was driving my Uncle's John Deere tractor in 1962,,,,

So with that, in the wife's daily driven roadster with no top we installed seat heaters,,,, best $50.00 ever spent.
    Easy to install, low wattage from the Evil

Hamtown Al likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Seat heaters were the only concession when I built my bare bones roadster.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  4. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I am in the minority but I built my 40 sedan with old school looks but new school comfort. stock chev 305 with a holley 4bbl, 700R4, get 22mpg on highway. IFS with p/s, power disc brakes, tilt wheel, cruise control, vintage air/heat/def, power windows with auto-loc switches that use the original cranks. heated seats to soothe my sore back on long trips. am/fm/cd, working wipers, power socket 2016-10-12 03.13.22.jpg 2017-06-28 23.00.01.jpg 2015-03-06 20.43.05.jpg 1216141529.jpg

210superair, pprather and Roothawg like this.
  5. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Only suspension and steering but I keep the tires in 15. I like 235/60R15 radials up front with 235/60-15 bias ply, ProTracs, in the back. For wheels, I use 15 x 7 4.25 back space, Wheel Vintiques Series 64 Chrome stock wheels up front with Wheel Vintique Series 62 15 x 8 3.5 back space, Black steel wheels or chrome Series 64. That should give the back wheels that cool deep dish look like Dyno Dons 62 Impala..

dyno don deep dish.jpg

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  6. I wanted to install hot-'n'-cold running maids in my truck..... :rolleyes:
    But my wife said, "Hold up there, Ol' Timer. You're never gon'na cash that check!" :oops:

7. After almost 12 years of no activity, all of a sudden today this thread is back.
    Interesting reading.

210superair and Hamtown Al like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-4-29_4-36-29.png VERSUS upload_2021-4-29_4-36-45.png

Hello,

In high school, it was a bare bones Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery for all activities in and around the teenage scene. But, as sweaty as those could be in hot weather, the teen spirit and the freedom of having my own car overcame any ill feelings about not having an A/C car. If we wanted A/C, we borrowed my friend’s mom’s big 4 door Pontiac Bonneville hardtop.

Now with all of the 4 windows rolled down in that big Pontiac Bonneville hardtop, it was plenty windy for cooling. But, as slow as we all used to cruise and even on dating scenes, sometimes the circulating air was not enough. My friend’s great quote was “Up Sails…” and the windows came up with the powerful A/C blasting us inside. What a relief.

But, as our hot rods normally did not have any power robbing accessories, like A/C, we tried to “eeek” out as much horsepower for those full acceleration runs. That was the biggest creature comfort for all of us. Also, not all parents had A/C in their family sedans. power seats that did nothing to ease the back pains of the “old” folks, and power windows were the standard creature comforts of most of our parents’ friend's cars.

Jnaki

When my wife and I got our 2nd 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, it had A/C, but did not work well at all. It would start out cold, but within minutes it was just normal air. Bottles of Freon did not improve the situation. That was one thing we had to fix immediately. The other was the terrible handling and braking of the 327 powered sedan delivery. The one thing we noticed was the York A/C unit was not working as well as it should. It was on the "get rid of list" and a rotary A/C compressor was in the works when we sold the 2nd sedan delivery.

But, we needed it to take us on long road trips for photo shoots and camping. It had the power, but needed months and months of work and repairs to get it to handle right. We needed something to make us feel like driving the sedan delivery.

It was full of creature comforts (full interior, including the back cave, carpets, sound deadening stuff, auto trans, new shocks and springs, and of course, A/C) that the bare bones first 40 Ford Sedan Delivery did not have. (A/C? Just open the front vent) Creature comforts make road trips at any hour of the day or night more pleasant.

9. My 55 has heat because I drive it year round. I still usually have one window down in the winter so the exhaust doesn't kill me. 4 wheel power disc brakes because people drive like idiots. It does have a built automatic that kicks you in the small of your back when it shifts. I got this neat center console that velcros to the carpet so I have a place to hide my stuff and rest my arm. I can pull that right out though so I don't get made fun of too much. There's a dome light in the roof too!
    I've also got solid motor mounts and a solid trans mount so 3000rpm at 60mph wears you out on long rides. No radio, dumped dynomax race bullets make that pointless. Had car chemistry header mufflers for a while but they made my right eardrum feel like it was going to explode. Sounded killer though. Electric wiper conversion with no wiper arms. No insulation of any kind other than carpet, so you're gonna sweat in the summer from engine/exhaust heat alone. The seats are pretty comfortable but the vinyl gives you swamp ass on a hot day.
    All in all the car is just raw enough to make me remember I'm not driving anything close to modern, and I love it.

chevy57dude likes this.
  10. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

I went from radio delete to under dash 8 track Full dash.jpg

11. SmokinBill likes this.
  12. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Those 8 tracks really have a great sound once there cleaned up. I use 97% alcohol. If you use a lower percent they leave a greasy film..
    Some of the best 8 tracks were Panasonic and Akai.. I have a Panasonic 8 track recorder that makes excellent sounding tapes provided you use a quality blank tape like Memorex and Sony. The ones with the thin steel tape holder that keep the tape pressed against the head make a lot of static..