Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Our Route 66 Trip

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31hotrodguy, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Cool ride there -thanks for sharing.

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  2. There's a museum in Santa Rosa NM? All I ever get to see there is a motel room on the east end off I40 and drive down 66 at night to Joseph's for Mexican and the gift shop - wife never wants to stop at Comet II but I dig all the neon along the way.

31hotrodguy, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Glad you had a safe and fun trip.
    God Bless your family.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dude, you were a couple of miles from my house if you went through Yukon,OK.

Boneyard51, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  5. WOW! I’m jealous, that looks like a lot of fun.PM pics of o/t mopar please

6. bchctybob

bchctybob

What a great trip!!! And a true demonstration of a great dad (and a brave one). Looks like you guys had a great time and like others have said they will remember it all their lives.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for sharing.

8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Roothawg, how far off the 40 are you?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

6 miles. If you saw the Garth Brooks water tower you were almost there.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

And twenty from mine when he was in Checotah on I-40! I made half that trip on the old 66 in Oct 10-15, 1957 from Ventura to Checotah. I turned six on that trip ! Still vividly remember it! I still have the 1937 Ford ton and a half truck I rode in all the way!
    The boys will remember their trip forever!

Bones

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    loudbang, 31hotrodguy and Budget36 like this.
  11. I'm only 5 miles south of I40 in Amarillo. Just two miles from me is one of the best, imho, 50-s thru 70's car museums in the country..........Bill's Backyard Classics. They are on South Washington between 45th and 58th. Tons of GM products like Buick, Cad, Olds, Pontiac. Unlike most, light on Chevies. Has a few Fords and older cars.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  12. ken bogren

ken bogren

Good Dad, Good Dad!
    Our family traveled 66 at Christmas 1960, I was 14 and still remember the trip very fondly.
    I'm betting your boys will Too!

In the last 12 years wife and I have cruised the Mother Road all or parts another 8 or 9 times.

13. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great trip, thanks for sharing.

14. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Bones, now that is just all around cool!!!!!

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Amarillo is one of our favorite dinner stops! I can’t believe we were a few minutes away from a car museum and we missed it! We will definitely put it on the map for next time!

loudbang likes this.
  16. I'll take a run-by and see if is reopened. I believe it is......was shut down for a while with the covid thing. Also I heard a year or so ago that the owner, unfortunately, has Parkinson's disease. Hope the family keeps the collection intact. Many of the cars look totally just-from-the-factory-stock, but you take a closer look and, WOW. Many many high-dollar builds.
    I just check ked to see if they have a website, and they do! funny thing is, on the web it looks quite a bit different than what I remembered.....maybe because of their revolving display/inventory.,,,,,,, https://www.bbcamatx.com/

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  17. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Texas57, thank you for sharing! That looks like a great collection. I really hope the family is able to keep it going! I am a big advocate of car guys helping support other car guys like him. We will definitely put that one on the list.
    On a side note I had planned on being at the car show in Synder Texas this coming weekend but it didn’t work out.
    Scott

18. hook00pad

hook00pad

I drove 66 with my brother in 1967. We had just bought my '55 Chevy for $100. Quite an adventure! Ha ha (And learning experience)

31hotrodguy likes this.
  19. hook00pad

hook00pad

From near St. Louis to L.A.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. hudson48

hudson48

Went through Amarillo in 1995 and loved the Golden Light Cafe. The best chilli ever. Made a return visit in 2009 and still there. One of the oldest establishments on 66

31hotrodguy and Lil32 like this.
  21. myergin

myergin

Very cool! I'm hoping to do this trip one day when my girls are a little older.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. 31wrecker

31wrecker

Awesome trip. Really envy you guys, wanted to do this trip with my dad but we waited to long. In the works to do with my boys now. Thanks for sharing these great moment.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  23. sunbeam

sunbeam

24. Yep, best hamburgers and fries also. Established in 1946.....same year I was born. I bring my visiting car guys there. I rebuilt a 1926 house just a few blocks from there, it's where my avatar was built. Tonight we'll be meeting a 1/4 mile west of there for our weekly gathering at dusk. Today is first Saturday of the month, good weather.should have 100 cars or so at our monthly cruise in at Bell and Hillside starting about 3:30 or so.
    btw, the rt 66 historic district in Amarillo is 6th st., between Western and Georgia, for those newly visiting.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  25. IRON

IRON
    from Florida

very nice, thank's.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Wow, too bad for us, we missed the Golden Light Cafe as we blew past the Highway 27 and 40 crisscross. ( we are such Mexican food fanatics and all sorts of chili recipes…) By going the Southern route to visit Roswell, N.M. and my wife’s dad’s military school, we came up to meet Highway 27. So, we missed the cafe and also missed the world famous, Cadillac Ranch on Highway 40 from Albuquerque.

This was on the way on Highway 40 to the OKC for a couple of days visit to old home searches for my wife’s childhood days. We had planned on doing a similar Eastern road trip after the pandemic, back to the Midwest to complete the OKC visits, and to see some relatives in other states. But, now, most of the extended family is back in So Cal. So, that Midwest road trip is postponed until who knows when.

Jnaki

Going back up the Westcoast’ winding coastal Highway 1, seems to be a better option for us, to see our old haunts from the 1966-70 road trip/photo shoot days. All of our Highway 1 road trips start at the beginning/end of Route 66 at the Santa Monica Pier.
    upload_2021-5-2_4-22-43.png
    Right next to the last “on the pier” parking area is the historic end of Route 66 sign. But the short walk to the end of the pier brings you as far West as you can go on the pier, unless one is sailing on the water.
    upload_2021-5-2_4-24-43.png
    Vnak photos …views from the water

31hotrodguy likes this.
  27. johnsmith45a

johnsmith45a

That’s nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31hotrodguy likes this.