Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Building a '55 265ci. HOT ROD SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, Feb 25, 2021.

1. I recently acquired a project car that's setup for a small block. I quickly found a 1955 265 small block from the local machinist & dropped it off yesterday to have some work done & have a long block built. My question is, what tricks & things do I need to know about the '55 motor? What works with the small ci motors? My plan is to run a solid lifter (Duntov 30/30ish) cam & multiple carb setup but otherwise really basic internally. I don't have any money so cost is a big deal & I'm trying to put it together on a budget. Fire Away!

Bass sbc.jpg

2. Its going to cost more to build a 265 than a 350.There arent any "kits" for 265 engines like the 350.The 265 cam has a notch cut on the rear journal so oil can get up to the top.Make sure the cam you use has this.Dont go crazy on cam duration on a 265 either.You do know that it doesnt have side engine mounts right?

3. One other thing....those heads dont have harded valve seats for unleaded gas.I had them installed in my 265.More cost.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

A machine shop is a good place to shoot your budget to hell....what condition is the engine in? Was it complete, assembled, or just pieces? The more original stuff you can re use, the lower the cost will be. But we have no idea what you're starting with, so it's hard to offer useful advice.

The 55 engine is unique, no oil filter, funky crankcase vent system. The ports are tiny, too. But you can hop it up, adding a cam and a bit more carburetion is the main thing, and you are already on that path. Might want to think carefully about the gearing in the car, they like to rev.

Remember, the more info you provide, the better the suggestions you'll get.

5. I got it mostly complete but it was disassembled, cleaned & checked by the machine shop. It also came with some .30 pistons. The heads are '57 heads with the the 1.72 valves.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  6. Can you elaborate more on the cam & oiling? Isn't there something going on with the fuel pump rod length or something too?

loudbang likes this.
  7. To get oil up to the top of the engine,lifters,push rods, rockers Chevy milled a flat spot on the 265 cam.It picked up oil as it turned,and sent it upward.They quickly decided there was a better way,and redesigned the oiling system for later engines.The 265 is stuck with what it has.Later cams can be milled on the rear journal,and be turned in to a 265 cam.If you buy a new cam let the grinder/maker know its for a 265,and they will do it for you.If you have no oil filter on the block its a 55...if it has a canister on the block its a 56 engine. As far as the fuel pump rod its just standard Chevy.You could run any small block fuel pump that suits your needs.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  8. I built one in '67. Cannot remember the exact details but if you run a later model window type distributor in the '55 block the rocker arms do not oil. I was running an 098 Duntov cam and I did grind the relief on the rear journal. Problem w resolved when I installed a pre '57 distributor.

9. There needs to be a flat spot on the distributor. A later distributor can be modified to work.

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

11. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

What I didn't like about those engines was the pressed on balancer on the crank.

12. squirrel

squirrel

The lack of a bolt holding on the damper started to be a problem with the 327....and by the time they turned it into a 350, it was bolted after being pressed on.

13. yep pretty much everything above is correct about a 55 265. They are quite the oddball, does it still have the early heads with the staggered bolt pattern? the early small block valve covers had the upper two holes closer together. They did that 55-mid 59. I agree the 097 Duntov cam is a good cam for a 265. The 30/30 is a pretty big cam on a 265 as its a really good cam in a 302/327. The larger motors work better with it. The 097 was used in fuelies and dual quad motors. If you come across a cheap set of power pak heads would be a good improvement as well over the stock heads, especially if the motor was an original 2 bbl motor.

14. It's got '57 heads. I'll check out the 097 cam. Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  15. kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

keep in mind about that article I posted in the thread....we've learned a lot in the 65 years since that was written.

loudbang likes this.
  17. kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There are a LOT of oddities about the 55 265's. Stock, they had flat top pistons without valve reliefs; GM did a lot of warranty work due to over revving, missed shifts, etc, that lead to valve to piston interference. The CR was down around 8:1. Your .030 over pistons "should' have 4 valve reliefs. Low CR due to the small bore, short stroke, and flat top pistons; valve reliefs dropped it a little more. The already mentioned "pulse oiling", with the notch in the rear cam journal; just connect the rear journal grooves in the back of the block, and get full time oiling. The 55 265 had no integral oil filter; the remote canister oil filter was an option, and dealer installed. The 55 intakes are also one off, the water temperature sending unit is at the rear left (great for using a 55 intake in a 49-54 swap where the water temperature thimble will bolt into aaaaaa 55 intake as it's so shprt); every year after it was up front or in the head after the mid 60's. The crank can be drilled/tapped for a dampener retention bolt. The rods (up until 62) were really light weight, and a weak point; but also something racers looked for due to their light weight (the risk was worth it?). When it comes to head gaskets, don't go with the "universal" ones that measure 4.10 at the bore; drops the CR even more. The valley canister "ventilator can" will be a "long one"; they got shorter after 57 (I believe that's the year), and most aftermarket intakes won't clear a long ventilator can unless you beat them into submission, or swap to a shorter one. Like already noted, no side mounts, no block mounted stater motors, so you're limited on later automatics unless you use a starter motor adapter plate. Tiny head ports that require a 55-56 gasket set to seal when an aftermarket intake is used, or even a later factory manifold. The exhaust manifolds are log type, with dumps at the ends; left side at the front, right side at the rear. Headers or rams horns will flow better. Even with a cam change, some port work, larger valves, with flat top pistons, you're probably not going to exceed 220-230 HP. Despite all those issues, I'm working on a 57 265, but the 57 block is overall, a better design. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  19. The engine is at the machine shop now. I think I've settled on an "097" Dutov grind. Wanting to build pretty much the same motor as @JeffreyJames https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lets-build-a-265-chevy-v8.416175/

So where can I find a cam? Also am in search of some .060 over pistons. Sources?

I had struck a deal (I thought) on a WC4D WEIAND intake with carbs but the guy decided he didn't want to ship it anymore. Really bummed me out, so I'm also looking for a 4-cab intake setup preferably the WEIAND

loudbang likes this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Comp Cams just ground me one with the correct notch.

21. Try these guys

http://www.northernautoparts.com/

22. 55blacktie

55blacktie

The crankshaft snout can be drilled and tapped for a balancer/damper bolt. I had it done to a 283 steel crank. Personally, I would not invest a lot of money in a 265, unless it's being rebuilt to OEM specs and will go into a 100% original car or truck.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  23. I did a low buck 283 build for my 39 sedan. It’s covered in my build thread below. The 097 cam is the way to go. Elgin and Speed Pro made copies of the 097 cam. The speed pro one was part number CS113R. That’s what I used. But speed pro doesn’t seem to be making them right now. The was some NOS Elgin ones on eBay. Buddy just put one in his 32 with a 265.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I love 265’s and 283’s. They aren’t a powerhouse like a 406, but man they are reliable.

25. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Roothawg I'm glad to see there are a few of us left. I didn't comment on here because I'm trying to stay calm. As far as I'm concerned anybody can have a 350 they are a dime a dozen.

Pat

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a 265 on the stand that set a National Record back in the day.

I also have a 55 265 on the floor that has all of the original parts including the one year oil pan.

27. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Roothawg I have one also on the floor with the pan, distributor and optional oil canister. Just have it was going to display it.

Pat

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  28. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

I also gotta bone stock 55 now sitting on the floor that moved my 38 pretty good for nearly 50 years. It recently switched places again with a refreshed 21-studder that was sitting on the floor during those same 50 years. 8^) Jack E/NJ

loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  29. I think I found those on eBay maybe. They don't list much for specs. The Speed Pro one looks to be out of stock. Maybe I'll call up Elgin or Delta & see what they can do.

loudbang and Nailhead Jason like this.