Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wiring a 1 wire alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ahshoe, Apr 29, 2021.

1. ahshoe

ahshoe

Got a 1961 car that I am doing. I want to convert the voltage regulator / generator system to a 1 wire alternator. Question where does the 1 wire that runs to the alternator originate from?

2. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

The wire from the alternator goes to the wire on the old regulator marked "Bat". If you have trouble finding it, put a test light to work on the regulator terminals. The battery wire will be hot when everything is turned off. You can actually connect the alternator to any constantly "on"wire or straight to the battery for it to work. That's about it. Easy.

3. Make sure you use an adequate-sized wire to connect it. Personally, if I were to use a one-wire (and I wouldn't) I'd use at least a #8, preferably a #6. Maybe larger depending on the total vehicle load.

1oldtimer likes this.
  4. ahshoe

ahshoe

If you run it directly from the battery do you need to fuse it?

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. No.... It's almost impossible to meaningfully fuse the alternator output because of the varying output. Alternators, when they fail, they fail 'open' (no output). Just route the wire to protect it from physical damage and you'll be fine.

CME1 and pprather like this.
  6. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Do not fuse the alternator output.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since I'm not no electrical expert I searched for info on wiring up a 3G 1 wire alternator. Some said no fuse but I found these instructions for wiring a 3G Ford alternator that shows using a fuse. Haven't actually wired up my 3G on the 302 in my Ranch Wagon. Still not sure on the fuse.
    3G alt.JPG but I

ramblin dan and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

never have used a inline fuse but, installed a fusible link - since this is a "standard" upgrade to a high output/newer model alternator guess that you follow instructions that you found online - have the correct pulley, etc?

10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have the original alternator that came on the running SBF I'm using and the pulley on the 3G is the same size so I think I'm set.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker